It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Aging Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2010, 06:21 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Mom accidentally overdosed on medication

My dear mother has been showing signs of her age for awhile now...she is almost 80.

Friday morning my mom was getting her medications together...She has a neat system with her bottles labled and such. She doles out both her and my dad's medicines each meal. One of the medications comes in those darn blister packs, which she has trouble (like all of us), getting into. She uses the scissors to cut them all out at once, and put the pills in a marked bottle. That's what she was doing.

On another topic, she has been just started putting a class of water out on the counter to remind her to drink water all day.

My troubled adult sister has moved back in with them...she is 53 and very distracting to my mom. She was talking to my mom while she was cutting the pills out of the pack.

Next thing you know, my mom scooped up those pills to put into the bottle, she saw the water, took a sip and tossed every one of those pills into her mouth and swallowed!

Poison control was called and she was sent off to the hospital in an ambulance, release 6 hours later...feeling fine today.

This scared the heck out of all of us...especially my mother. She was a nervous wreck. It sure is hard to see the your parents decline...

Old 03-09-2010, 07:31 AM   #2
(female)

AmVan HB User
Re: Mom accidentally overdosed on medication

Quote:
Originally Posted by writeleft View Post
My dear mother has been showing signs of her age for awhile now...she is almost 80.

Friday morning my mom was getting her medications together...She has a neat system with her bottles labled and such. She doles out both her and my dad's medicines each meal. One of the medications comes in those darn blister packs, which she has trouble (like all of us), getting into. She uses the scissors to cut them all out at once, and put the pills in a marked bottle. That's what she was doing.

On another topic, she has been just started putting a class of water out on the counter to remind her to drink water all day.

My troubled adult sister has moved back in with them...she is 53 and very distracting to my mom. She was talking to my mom while she was cutting the pills out of the pack.

Next thing you know, my mom scooped up those pills to put into the bottle, she saw the water, took a sip and tossed every one of those pills into her mouth and swallowed!

Poison control was called and she was sent off to the hospital in an ambulance, release 6 hours later...feeling fine today.

This scared the heck out of all of us...especially my mother. She was a nervous wreck. It sure is hard to see the your parents decline...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2010, 07:43 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

oh writeleft....that's scary!
and that no-good sister of yours......
I'm glad your mom is ok!
did she realize right away what she did?

Old 03-09-2010, 07:46 AM   #4
(female)

AmVan HB User

Writeleft,

I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. You've been such a help to me on the thread I started. I'm glad she's okay now and hopefully your sister won't be there long. That's a tough situation with family. It sounds like your parents are really doing well, though. Even at a yourng age we can get confused and nervous when distracting people are about. My heart goes out. I hope your sister finds other living arrangements soon. I wish I had some good advice but maybe if you talk to your sis she can help your parents out and realize it's their time of need and not just hers.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:54 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Rose, as awful as this is, I have to partially blame my sister. I know I shouldn't, but without her there, my mother can do her daily activities without constant distractions. I heard later that my sister then freaked out, and created bedlam while waiting for the ambulance. Then of course she had things to do, so my mom sat in the hospital all alone. I did not find out about it till it was over.

AmVan, Thanks for your concern. You are tight, my parents are doing really well, just the two of them. They are not at a time of life that it makes any sense to have therir middle aged daughter with them. She is far from helpful, and like you said, the distraction throws my mom off. My parents are military people, married 67 years this month...they have things down pat.

About speaking with my sister, unfortunately we don't speak.

My mom is going to be fine, I got my strength from her.

Last edited by writeleft; 03-09-2010 at 11:55 AM.

Old 03-09-2010, 12:24 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

I believe you and agree with you that your sister is probably a big distraction which made your mom slip up with this......

Old 03-09-2010, 05:26 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

I have to accept my mom and dad's decision to have her live there. Back to meeting at the coffee shop, and going to doctor appointments together! We have spent a lot of time together lately doing that! We make it fun.

Like I think I've said before...Life is good!

Closed Thread