It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Aging Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2010, 03:33 PM   #1
(female)

gsmom HB User
94 with broken pelvis....what next?

I thank you all for any info you can provide.

My 94 year old grandfather who surprisingly enough has lived independently up until now (with small amounts of support) has fallen getting out of the shower (he is supposed to wait for homecare to be there but he grew impatient) and now he is in hospital with a broken pelvis, unable to put any weight on his leg. I have talked to him on the phone and he seems to think in a few days he will feel fine and go home. I on the other hand think thats a bit optimisitic. I havent been able to visit him yet as I have three kids with stomach flu and dont want to spread that to him. I am also intersted in what kind of care he will need after this? He is so dead set against a nursing home but i feel he might need that. I would care for him but I have three children with Autism and am quite busy with my hands full. Their is no other family in town besides me.

Thanks for any info

gsmom

Old 03-18-2010, 04:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: 94 with broken pelvis....what next?

gsmom,

I hope that someone in charge of his care will make a recommendation as to what kind of follow-up care he needs. You will probably need to trust his doctor's advice. I think a broken pelvis is a very serious condition.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2010, 08:29 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: 94 with broken pelvis....what next?

At his age, they probably are not going to operate to repair the break. He just wouldn't survive the anesthesia. They will probably send him to rehab as he will need to learn to walk again - if he can. I'd rely on his doctor's recommendation. Do you have his POA? If so, I'd call the doctor and find out what he has to say.

Closed Thread