It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Aging Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2010, 08:15 AM   #1
(female)

AmVan HB User
woke up and discovered a face I'd never seen before

You girls are so funny. This site has really helped me in my aging process! I too woke up one morning and discovered a face I'd never seen before! I'm soon to be 57 (and I lost about 35 lbs. too) and my double chin has turned into a turkey neck. The wrinkles around my eyes are now in a "C" shape. Everything has fallen and this really did happen over night! I don't understand what happened. Acceptance is not easy either. My mother tried to worn me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2010, 06:43 PM   #2
(female)

Momma8it HB User
Re: All of a sudden....I'm old... help!!

OMG! I am the same way and I turned 40 this year! I feel so old when I look at my hands or in the mirror at all the lines on my face and around my mouth and my hair is getting so thin. I have searched and searched for what might be the problem. All of these things are actually symptoms of a Thyroid Problem. My DR. put me on thyroid medicine. That did not help though so I quit taking it! I am at a loss here! Anyone have any ideas? I think I have a deficiency in something..but what..I do not know! Are there any Holistic Holio's out there? Help!

Last edited by Administrator; 07-03-2010 at 09:10 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2010, 10:12 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB User

You might want to try retin A just on the brown spot, it doesn't just fade them, it removes them in most cases but it takes a long time, aprox 6 months to a year.

I'm finding that my lines are looking deeper these days as well. I haven't found a wrinkle cream that works just yet, but I'm standing in line like everyone else.
Keep well hydrated, because dryness contributes to dry skin and lines. Eat protein and take vit c rich foods which helps to build collagen, and use flax or fish oil for radiant skin. I need to take my own advice.

Last edited by dorri; 02-22-2010 at 10:13 PM.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:58 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

The problem is that you are tied to your DNA so how your mother/father aged is largely how you are going to age - unless of course, there is a disease/weight issue. Otherwise, moisturize, moisturize, moisturize! Body, face, hands. Keep the sun off except for 20 minutes or so a day which you need. Do not rub your eyes....it wrinkles the tender skin around them. Dab moisturizer on them...there are also several eye serums out there that are good. ByeLines by Elizabeth Arden is one. I've used it and the Prescriptives Line Preventer but since Prescriptives closed at the end of January you'lll have to find it elsewhere as long as stock holds out.

I also use - be ready for a shock here - the Canadian formula Preparation H. The one sold in the US no longer has the additive that really helps plump the wrinkles. It's pretty inexpensive to order even with shipping. And a tube lasts a long time.

And hand lotion on your hands several times a day - for sure every time you wash them or clean with Purell of whatever....and other times as well.

Old 06-26-2010, 08:31 AM   #5
(female)

chinacab HB User
Talking Re: All of a sudden....I'm old... help!!

This string is SO me!!! "Better than the depression string"!!! You think?? LOL.

Ladies, thanks for all of the laughs. I am 54 and going thru the same things, seeing myself in pics, seeing myself in the mirror w/glasses on!, making sure I don't go out w/make-up on!, OH, OH, the smiling all of the time.....I am there!! I wish I didn't HAVE to smile, just to look like I am not walking around angry, or PO'd all the time!..LOL

Am considering Laser treatments someday when finances allow.

A thing that has helped my hydration efforts.....my seemingly constant dry lips, and maybe has helped plump out a wrinkle or two, I hope. I take many supplements, I have added a product to alkalize water...Willard Water. It doesn't change the taste of the water. (See I always drink oodles of water, but still had dry lips) I don't think it is my imagination. My lips feel softer and, when I look in the mirror...with glasses on!!...my lips look plumper...something I am noticing is important nowadays!! HA. Most importantly, my lips feel better, not chapping, so I am not "biting" them to get rid of tags, so they are getting less chapped due to that too.

I hope others post so I can get laughs thru my wrinkles, and don't mention the legs!. .LOL.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:07 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

What legs, the ones that look like bunched up panty hose at the top of the knees, ha ha.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:50 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

resolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB User

Just tossing in my 2 cents:

When I say all of the sudden, I mean over about an 18 month window and it did happen to me too. It's that same thing...all of the sudden people are asking me about the discount that's available for 55+ and I'm just passing 50. Maybe that's not "all of the sudden" to others, but time goes by so fast that it sure seemed that way to me.

I do plan to get a face lift but want to wait a few more years. My problem is that I don't want to look like Joan Rivers as a result. So finding a good surgeon is a must. I'd rather look old than like someone who didn't know enough to not go to a backdoor plastic surgeon! (Poor Kenny Rodgers...if money can't buy you access to the best, what can?)

This old age stuff is for the birds.

Old 07-03-2010, 04:27 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ever keep all your drivers license photos, and every year you say oh, that's a horrible picture, I can't look that bad, and when the next photo comes and you once again get another horrible photo ID, and you look back on all the previous years, you wonder why you were complaining because the past photos sure look a whole lot better then this year's?
On examining these past photos, aging is so gradual from year to year but the photos do show the difference, it's so vague it's hard to put your finger on, but a slight difference is there, followed by a hit me in the face change as has happened to me this last year. This is probably why God allowed our eyes to weaken at the same time LOL.
Over the last couple years, my brows look like they've dropped or is it that my hairline has receded? My upper lip looks as if someone let the air out of it. This past year my eyes look more sunken, and yet, I can't put my finger on what it is exactly, what has changed? Could it be that the fat on my face has diminished, is that why I look different?
I have to admit that the aging changes sometimes frighten me as well. Maybe I need to accept my new look and take pride in myself and move forward without looking backward so often.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:41 PM   #9
(female)

manma2 HB User
Smile Re: woke up and discovered a face I'd never seen before

me too! What's worse my mum was beautiful and had the most beautiful skin people keep telling me about her even now and I was the plain Jane daughter NOW I am starting to look like her when she was in her sixties and seventies! Wish I looked like her in my youth LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmVan View Post
You girls are so funny. This site has really helped me in my aging process! I too woke up one morning and discovered a face I'd never seen before! I'm soon to be 57 (and I lost about 35 lbs. too) and my double chin has turned into a turkey neck. The wrinkles around my eyes are now in a "C" shape. Everything has fallen and this really did happen over night! I don't understand what happened. Acceptance is not easy either. My mother tried to worn me.

Old 07-14-2010, 01:49 PM   #10
(female)

memawof3 HB User
Re: woke up and discovered a face I'd never seen before

Quote:
yep,,,it happens to us all!!!
i woke up one morning,passed the mirrow on my way through the hall, and seen my MOM!!!
but, iam now 63, and i confess, i hate getting older, but thats better than the alturnitive!!
bren

Old 07-14-2010, 02:15 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

I too look alot like my mother. My mom's face is sagging now, and she has this angry look on her face but she still has beautiful skin. In fact she has nicer skin then I do, speaking of the angry look, people have asked me if I'm mad so I have to explain I'm not and that's just the way I look now a days. I think that may be the result of scrunching up the nose and bringing the brows together at the center, oh lets just say it's the result of all the baggage going south without consent.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:45 PM   #12
(female)

memawof3 HB User

[QUOTE=dorri;4286172]I too look alot like my mother. My mom's face is sagging now, and she has this angry look on her face but she still has beautiful skin. In fact she has nicer skin then I do, speaking of the angry look, people have asked me if I'm mad so I have to explain I'm not and that's just the way I look now a days. I think that may be the result of scrunching up the nose and bringing the brows together at the center, oh lets just say it's the result of all the baggage going south without consent.[/QUOT

my mom was a beautiful women too!
very nice skin, few wrinkles, like me, fair light skin, we burned easy,never got a tan, but thats ok..
iam proud that i look like my mother!!!
bren

Old 07-15-2010, 08:54 AM   #13
(female)

AmVan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by memawof3 View Post
yep,,,it happens to us all!!!
i woke up one morning,passed the mirrow on my way through the hall, and seen my MOM!!!
but, iam now 63, and i confess, i hate getting older, but thats better than the alturnitive!!
bren

I saw Nancy Pelosi on TV this morning and she aged over night too! Man, this is sad! Lol. I really work on accepting it. We have no choice!

Old 07-15-2010, 10:02 AM   #14
(female)

memawof3 HB User

Quote:
I saw Nancy Pelosi on TV this morning and she aged over night too! Man, this is sad! Lol. I really work on accepting it. We have no choice!
you are so right!!!
just accept it and go on with life!
bren

Old 07-15-2010, 12:04 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
I'm soon to be 57 (and I lost about 35 lbs. too) and my double chin has turned into a turkey neck. The wrinkles around my eyes are now in a "C" shape. Everything has fallen and this really did happen over night! I don't understand what happened.
I would guess that losing 35 pounds had a lot to do with it. Years ago my mother used to say that when she gained weight, she gained it on her stomach first. And when she tried to lose weight, she would lose it from her face first. So the effect was to look older, at least in her opinion.

Other than that experience, I do remember a few people looking a lot older after losing weight (men and women).

What we can do: Warn young people not to gain any excess weight in the first place.

Closed Thread