It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Aging Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2010, 08:55 AM   #1
(female)

wesleyc67 HB User
Can any one 50+ take this?

I was wonderig if there are side affects with other meds. that I take. I am 53 years old and take high blood pressure meds. and cholesterol meds also. Will I be able to take without side affects?

Old 09-04-2010, 04:24 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB User
Re: Can any one 50+ take this?

Most all pills we take have side effects even aspirin. But so far nothing I take has bothered me...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2010, 08:37 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Lulubells HB UserLulubells HB User

BP meds have side effects and so do statin drugs (cholesterol lowering meds). Look each up on the internet for their side effects. They have some listed on the makers web sights but if you dig deep you can find the ones they try to hide too.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:43 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

wesleyc67,

I agree with sunshine12 and lulubells that there are likely side effects. Some of them can be really strange. A neighbor of mine (79 years old) said that her breasts were getting bigger and bigger. She told her doctor and he switched her to another brand for cholesterol.

My mother took pills for high blood pressure and after about 15 years she developed fluid pressure in her brain. It's called Hydrocephalus. Of course everyone is different so there's no telling what will cause what with each individual.

Doctors and their patients have to make a choice as to which is more dangerous, the health condition or the drug that treats the condition. I think most people come down on the side of taking medication for high blood pressure. But it doesn't mean that it's harmless, it just means that it's generally the lesser of two evils.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:03 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

I agree....take the blood pressure drugs. I've had 5 small strokes and I cherish my hypertension drugs and don't give a darn about side effects. The side effects of strokes are worse(death?).

But I can't take any of the statins. I get high fevers and major muscle pain on all of them I've tried so far(Lipitor, Tricor, Crestor). My doc has given up. My cholesterol isn't too out of whack but my triglycerides vary between 800 and 1000...norm is under 150. And with allergies to some fish, I can't take fish oils without getting sick...trying krill oil now and so far, so good. Tried high doses of niacin and got gout as a result. So in this case, I don't take the drugs.....the side effects can kill me too.

I have Metabolic Syndrome...high blood pressure, high cholesterol and triglycerides and type 2 diabetes. I'm not supposed to eat sugar, fat, carbs or salt/caffeine/ anything that raises my BP. Haven't figured out what is left to eat...except lots of protein and I just can't eat that way. I've tried and I was miserable.

I wish there was a cholesterol drug I could take. Beats eating non-fat cottage cheese for the rest of my life.

I just aim for feeling happy.

Jenny

Old 10-27-2010, 06:18 PM   #6
(female)

PAYNE HB User

I'm wondering if your concerns about side effects are more about your age and possible differences in reactions to drugs as a result. I do know that some drugs are not recommended for older people--however, I like to define "older people" as say, over 65. I'm 55 and take many meds. So far, I haven't been told that any side effects I have will be different from those of younger people. As the other folks have said, any drug will have some side effect....I think part of the problem is that kidney function declines as people age, so drugs aren't cleared out of the body as quickly.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:55 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennybyc View Post
I'm not supposed to eat sugar, fat, carbs or salt/caffeine/ anything that raises my BP. Haven't figured out what is left to eat...
How about lots of non-starchy vegetables with olive oil and/or lemon juice? The above combination should be beneficial for lowering cholesterol and blood pressure too. It might even help with diabetes. All of the items you mentioned above ("...sugar, fat, carbs or salt/caffeine/...") are not included in, "The Paleo Diet". This diet allows you to eat all the LEAN meat you want but it doesn't require that you eat a lot of meat. The author recommends a lot of meat because he assumes that most people need to lose weight. But I'm not trying to lose weight so I eat the minimum amount needed to satisfy my protein requirements. (Anyway, I don't believe that a lot of meat is required for those who are trying to lose weight.)

I would recommend it for everyone, whether or not there are health problems. I have been adapting to it for about the last 3 months; it takes some time to get used to it. All of my previous (doctor) check ups have been good and it will be interesting to see the results of next year's check up.

Last edited by JohnR41; 10-30-2010 at 10:06 AM.

Closed Thread