It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Aging Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2011, 02:52 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
What does it feel like to be old?

When I was 30 and my father was about 65 I can remember wondering what it must feel like to be old. Now I'm 70 and I still feel like I'm middle age. I can't say that I feel any different than when I was 30 or 40. Now I wonder if there will come a time when I will feel old.

The Following User Says Thank You to JohnR41 For This Useful Post:
Kali333 (06-19-2011)
Old 04-28-2011, 06:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: What does it feel like to be old?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR41 View Post
... What does it feel like to be old?
As we age we lose muscle mass, are prone to more infections, have memory problems, have weaker comprehension and analytical skills, and suffer from worsening health problems. What's not to like!?

So...... in a nutshell, this aging process is for the birds!

At times, I feel like I did when I was 40, but body-wise I really feel my almost 70 years.

I have Heart Failure, among other serious health problems, so, when my health problems are worse, I find it much more difficult to cope, and to handle these health problems with my aging, debile body.

The best answer, then, is not to age. Never grow any older and we all would be much better off.

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

The Following User Says Thank You to Machaon For This Useful Post:
JohnR41 (04-28-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2011, 01:43 PM   #3
(female)

nannywiz2008 HB User

You know I was reading your letter and I think alot of times like I am still in my 40's, but after a long trip, after trying to remember something, and after looking forward to playing with my grandkids and greatgrandkids , I realize I am 73. But alot of things are just wanting to live you life over. I would give anything to have the time again with my 3 children. They are grown, have kids themselves and when we get to talking about things that happen, I wish I could live that part over and do it different, then we talk about happy times and start laughing and it brings back "good memories". I tried to tell my grandsons, they are 8 and 10, about memories. They are living in Ga. and I live in Texas. Every summer they come visit us. When they mention about they can't wait to get over here so we can do this and that. I tell them that , "those are what you call memories'. When you get back home, that will come to you and just remember "memories with love ones and be a happy time and then all you have is the memories. Of course being in my 70's, I have alot of them. ha That is the best part of being old, you have your memories to remember. Don't rush time, it gets here pretty fast. Good luck,

Old 05-16-2011, 05:35 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

It's frustrating! I am 65 and can do most of the things I've always done but just can't do them day in and day out! I do tire some and that's very frustrating. I'm very active and I hate that I can't do things like I want. Have to pace myself. But I would not go back and do anything over!

Old 05-16-2011, 05:41 PM   #5
(male)

cwejg HB Usercwejg HB User

Reminds me of a comment I heard one time and never forgot.
"How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?"

The Following User Says Thank You to cwejg For This Useful Post:
susiekoko (05-31-2011)
Old 05-18-2011, 08:37 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannywiz2008 View Post
... But alot of things are just wanting to live you life over. I would give anything to have the time again with my 3 children. They are grown, have kids themselves and when we get to talking about things that happen, I wish I could live that part over and do it different
Welcome to "regrets city" otherwise known as "wish I could do it over again city".

My wife and I do two indoor 30 minute power walks each day. During these walks we often talk about the past. We often regress about how we would like to have more time with our deceased parents, or our deceased close friends, or even our dear departed pets. If it were only to say I love you, and how much we cared about you, and to thank them, one more time.

We could have called more often. We could have visited more often. It just seems that, when we are younger, and didn't have this much more time on our hands, and when we thought that our parents would always be there...... Oh well.

Quote:
then we talk about happy times and start laughing and it brings back "good memories".
We cherish our memories. We've been married for 45 years and have mostly great memories. We've got our memories in our electronic picture frames, so, as we power walk, we can also look back into the past and revisit all those wonderful times and wonderful people.

I was going to buy a widowed friend of ours an electronic picture frame but my wife talked me out of it because, sadly, her widowed friend has too many bad memories.

So..... as the years roll by, faster than we would like, and our bodies continue to wear out, at least we still have our memories, even if they do come with some "wish we could go back and do that again's."

⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 05-18-2011 at 01:34 PM.

Old 05-18-2011, 04:09 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

What does it feel like? Hmmmm..wonder how long a post can be before they cut you off.....

Like I always say...GETTING there wasn't bad..BEING there ain't much fun. The mind says do this and do that and the old body says.."You have to be kidding me"! Oh yes, give me the days of the Dr. visits where they said...good going and see ya next year..now we go every 3 months to make sure we are still alive and haven't developed some other fool thing. Strongest medicine we took back then was an aspirin if really needed, now the place looks like a pharmacy.

Oh well, after 51 years of marriage, 3 great kids..4 grandkids and one great granddaughter I guess we did ok.......Yes some days suck, but as hubby says.."When I read the Obits. and don't see my name..it's a good day"!

Oh yes..all the great memories, can't beat them....JJ...

Old 05-19-2011, 08:51 PM   #8
(female)

djc4294 HB User

Quote:
When I was 30 and my father was about 65 I can remember wondering what it must feel like to be old. Now I'm 70 and I still feel like I'm middle age. I can't say that I feel any different than when I was 30 or 40. Now I wonder if there will come a time when I will feel old.

HI, I feel the same and I am 70. How are you suppose to feel? People say you look and act young for 70..well how are we suppose to look and act???

Old 05-19-2011, 09:04 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User

I am in my late 70s and look increadibly young, but when I look at the reflexions in shop windows I see this old wrinkly guy, it's the same one in every window, he must be following me!!
James

The Following User Says Thank You to james079 For This Useful Post:
JohnR41 (05-21-2011)
Old 05-24-2011, 09:01 AM   #10
(female)

notoriousdgg HB User

Quote:

I am constantly comparing my age/life to my mother's age/life. I do this because my daughter is the same age difference from me as I was with my mother. I'm trying to get into my daughter's mind with regards to what she may be thinking at any given time.

I remember thinking, when I was 15 and my mother was 42, that my mom was old. The thought of her having sex was unfathomable. Now that I'm 42, I see things quite differently. lol

I remember thinking that 50 was old until I turned 40. I keep asking myself if I will ever feel old. At times I do, when faced with some teenager related drama or trend, but, for the most part I can't appreciate that I'm middle aged.

I think I'm dealing with it by being a cougar. The older I get, the younger my men get. This definitely has its disadvantages now that my daughter is a teenager. It's like raising two kids. I never wanted two kids. O_o

I had a 93 year old patient whose mind was sharper than mine...unfortunately, his heart was crap. He would tell me stories of back when he had a radio show called 'Old Allen' (because he was in his 40's) before television was invented. I was in awe of his grasp of technology (i.e. cell phones, texting, satellite television, etc). He was the coolest person that I have ever known. I think that when you are 93, you know you're old. His mind was still 40, but his body couldn't hang in there.

Awesome topic to ponder.

Last edited by notoriousdgg; 05-24-2011 at 09:06 AM. Reason: wanted to add

Old 06-19-2011, 06:08 PM   #11
(male)

GlenS HB User
Unhappy Re: What does it feel like to be old?

My mind tells me I am 30 years old. My body tells me I am fully the 64 years old that I am. I don't bounce back like at used to. When I fall I don't get back up quite as fast. I saw a picture of myself today and realized just how old I look. I went through a motor cycle wreck about two years ago. The doctors in the trauma center told me it would take 2 years or more to heal up and I thought they were crazy. Here it is 2 years later and I still need more time.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:16 PM   #12
(female)

djc4294 HB User

I guess we are only as old as we feel and at times I feel pretty old, other times after a work in my garden, I feel youthful. I don't look my age which I credit to my Mom and her genes. She passed at 90 after I cared for her for 8 yrs 24/7. My kids won't do that for me. Anyway keep your chin up. Stay happy!♥

The Following User Says Thank You to djc4294 For This Useful Post:
JohnR41 (06-20-2011)
Old 06-19-2011, 07:32 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB User

Quote:

I used to think that all old people acted a certain way- dressed, talked, etc.
Then I got older and realized, it's not all old people; it's just all people of that generation (born in the 1930s and 40s). They still act and talk, dress and wear their hair, the way they always have.

So when my generation is old... I imagine we'll still act, dress, and talk the same way we do now, pretty much. And younger people will look at us and think, "That's just the way old people are."

Last edited by Kali333; 06-19-2011 at 07:32 PM.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:04 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali333 View Post
I used to think that all old people acted a certain way- dressed, talked, etc.
Then I got older and realized, it's not all old people; it's just all people of that generation (born in the 1930s and 40s). They still act and talk, dress and wear their hair, the way they always have.

So when my generation is old... I imagine we'll still act, dress, and talk the same way we do now, pretty much. And younger people will look at us and think, "That's just the way old people are."
Kali, I was born in the 30s but I don't in any way resemble people that were like that then. I have a huge head of white curly hair which should have been cut months ago, it would have been short back and sides. I wouldn't be wearing a Gant tee shirt with a map of America on it and Levi jeans and a swoosh on my runners. I would have been wearing grey trousers and a white shirt and nondescript tie and black shoes. Isn't that SWELL!
It may be that for me I have changed because I got drafted and never returned to the land of my birth at least to live. I can describe old age though. I went back to the old sod and in the main street this Latin American looking woman was teetering down the main street in high heels, the tightest of trousers a sweater a size too small. As miss lushbody passed I looked around at the men, not one gave her first look far less a second! That is when I realised many men were old, not just chronologically.
If I talked the same way I would use phrases such as, it was above board, don't know him from Adam, smart Alec, apple of my eye, take a back seat, fresh out of a band box, bring home the bacon, balderdash and a bakers dozen and more.
My wife will go berserk if I don't get to bed, right now, so I will hit submit reply.
James

James

Last edited by james079; 06-19-2011 at 11:17 PM. Reason: bas spell

The Following User Says Thank You to james079 For This Useful Post:
Kali333 (06-20-2011)
Old 06-20-2011, 07:27 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali333 View Post
... They still act and talk, dress and wear their hair, the way they always have. ...
I wish I could wear my hair the same way I always did. Buts.... sadly, along with my sagging, aging body, I also have a balding head. I would LOVE to wear my hair the way I always did when I was younger, but it is really, really hard to brush a BALD head!

The aging process is really for the birds!

I still dress the same way as when I was younger. I live in Sunny beautiful, gorgeous, wonderful South Florida, so I wear shorts and no shirt, or a short sleeve shirt, almost every day of the year. I feel like I have already made it to Heaven!

⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Coreg!

Closed Thread