It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Aging Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2011, 09:22 AM   #1
(female)

Jada62 HB UserJada62 HB User
lower body weight loss

I am 67 and getting that "MAxine" body loss of weight in lower body..flat rear no hips skinny skinny thighs,,and legs!!!! scared i have cancer!!! by pounds i have only lost about 6-7 lbs in a yr..started walking for my blood pressure and high chols.

Old 05-01-2011, 01:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: lower body weight loss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jada62 View Post
I am 67 and getting that "MAxine" body loss of weight in lower body..flat rear no hips skinny skinny thighs,,and legs!!!!
I am also approaching 70. For us elderly types, it can get uncomfortable sitting on a hard chair without that cushion we used to have in our rears. A sad fact of life!

I also hate that my backbone protrudes and makes it uncomfortable to sit back, or lean against a wall.

My annoyance is my skinny arms, shoulders, and skinny upper part of my body. My legs seem OK. I do a lot of exercising, including on a stepper, and weight lifting, so perhaps that is why my legs are in fairly decent shape.

I hate the aging process, but I don't mind getting older with a reasonably good quality of life.

Quote:
scared i have cancer!!!
I sure hope that you do not have any nasty health problems. For what it is worth, getting skinny is all part of the aging process.

Have you had a complete blood count lately? Do you frequent a doctor?

Quote:
by pounds i have only lost about 6-7 lbs in a yr..started walking for my blood pressure and high chols.
You need to get your cholesterol, triglycerides, blood pressure and blood sugar all at healthy levels if you want to get into your 70's, and enjoy your 70's, in good health. A good, balanced, small meal, low calorie, quality diet is the best "medication" for us elderly types, IMHO.

Best regards, and best of luck and health to you.

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 05-01-2011 at 01:52 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2011, 10:19 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

spauno HB User

As per my knowledge one simple idea which i can share with you is that Daily practice of Yoga can help you to get rid of this problem.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:31 AM   #4
(female)

i would love to do yoga but having fibromyalgia any stretching or twisting brings on a lotof pain...even reaching to a high shelve or kneading dough brings pain for a week or more!!! our senior center has a "Sit and be Fit class" i should look into that, but i am so tired all the time i barely get reg house things done..just me and my Lab so i do things at my own slow pace!!!

Old 05-23-2011, 10:32 PM   #5
(male)

Johnclave HB User

It can be reduce due to surgery of your whole body........

< edited >

Last edited by hb-mod; 05-23-2011 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Please don't post unapproved websites, per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:21 PM   #6
(female)

blessediam HB Userblessediam HB Userblessediam HB Userblessediam HB User

Losing weight the way that you are doing is indicative of growing older. If you want to retain muscle so that you do not look that way, you have to do a little light weight training. What is happening to you is called atrophy. Happens when you do not do anything to keep the muscle.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:44 PM   #7
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jada62 View Post
I am 67 and getting that "MAxine" body loss of weight in lower body..flat rear no hips skinny skinny thighs,,and legs!!!! scared i have cancer!!! by pounds i have only lost about 6-7 lbs in a yr..started walking for my blood pressure and high chols.
Hi,

If you want to keep your bottom half looking half way good, DO SQUATS, every day. Try to do them with a weight held between your legs. Walk up hill on a treadmill. Unless you were blessed with those kinds of genes, you are gonna have to work at it.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:53 AM   #8
(female)

Blah49 HB UserBlah49 HB User

to blessediam- Are you kidding when you said hold a weight between your legs and do squats?? How do you do that would be my next question if you are serious!!!!

Old 09-14-2011, 11:28 AM   #9
(female)

my thoughts also..if i did that i would be on the floor..i have a bad nack and bad knees no way

Old 09-14-2011, 12:00 PM   #10
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah49 View Post
to blessediam- Are you kidding when you said hold a weight between your legs and do squats?? How do you do that would be my next question if you are serious!!!!
No, I am not kidding. I do it every other day. Hold the top of a dumbbell weight, with both hands. I don't know what your strength is, so I cannot tell you how many lbs would be good for you. I started with a 5 lb weight. Standing up tall and straight, with legs spread shoulder width. Slowly lower yourself as far as you can comfortably go down, by bending your knees to a comfortable position for you. Stick your butt out as you lower yourself. Come back up, and repeat 12 times. This is called 1 set. Do 3 sets. The more you do it, the more comfortable it will become. You should feel it in your butt and legs. This is only one of the exercises that I do to deep my legs and butt firm. And, I am no young girl.

Old 09-16-2011, 05:37 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

dorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB User

I had the flat butt look more than once and yes, everything does go back into place once you work those muscles. But you have to stay committed or it ends up right back where you started. Walking is very important and good for the heart but it only works certain muscles. You need to work your butt, hip muscles etc. Joyce Vedral has a book out "Bone Building, Body Shaping" for osteoporosis, it uses weights the proper way without causing injury. Her book is not the only one on this subject, so you may want to look in your local library, search the net or go to a book store to look up easy specific exercises to help yourself.
Also keep in mind that walking helps a person to lose weight. It speeds up metabolism and burns calories so maybe you are just going through an akward stage where the rest of you hasn't caught up with the lost weight on your butt. Add some exercises and maybe everything else will balance out.

Here's a simple one without weights.
Lie on your backside, knees bent, feet flat on the floor. Arms relaxed to each side. Lift your butt/hips slowly about 3 inches or so and lower slowly. Start out with a few in the beginning, later on increase your repetitions as you get stronger.
Good luck.

Last edited by dorri; 09-16-2011 at 05:38 PM.

Closed Thread