It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Aging Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2011, 11:18 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

dorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB User
Wink Thin people have more wrinkles?

I'm skinny for my age, not by choice but by a chronic condition and lately I have a lot of wrinkles. I look at older people around me that have more padding on them and they have less wrinkles so I looked it up and there is truth to that. The skin on thin people over the age of 40 tends to age and form lines more rapidly than a fatter older person who has a layer of fat padding under the skin not to mention that people who are overweight tend to produce more collagen in the skin so it seems to be true, thin people end up with thin skin which shows age quicker. If anyone has a different opinion I would like to hear it. If you are older you may want to have a little padding on you to look younger. I would like to put on about 10-12 lbs to see if there is a difference in the way my face looks. Now I know I'm not being unreasonable, just 10-12 lbs. Any other advice to help thin skin would be appreciated.

Old 06-16-2011, 04:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Thin people have more wrinkles?

This is a difficult subject because everyone is different. Thin people who smoke, drink, are malnurished, or get too much sun can have wrinkles. Trying to put padding under the skin of your face may have a down side. Any fat gained willl usually accumulate on the stomach first and perhaps on the butt, for some older women and perhaps some men. So to get the proper amount of fat to your face you may have to put a lot of fat in other places first. This may or may not please you.

The Following User Says Thank You to JohnR41 For This Useful Post:
dorri (06-16-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2011, 07:11 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR41 View Post
This is a difficult subject because everyone is different. Thin people who smoke, drink, are malnurished, or get too much sun can have wrinkles. Trying to put padding under the skin of your face may have a down side. Any fat gained willl usually accumulate on the stomach first and perhaps on the butt, for some older women and perhaps some men. So to get the proper amount of fat to your face you may have to put a lot of fat in other places first. This may or may not please you.
Yes, absolutely on the nail, I have tried to gain weight and the first place it goes is to my tummy, never really to my hips or butt as I never really had any hips or much butt to begin with. Do you know if it will stay on the tummy or eventually will it distribute to other parts of the body?

Old 06-16-2011, 07:39 PM   #4
(female)

jumprosel HB Userjumprosel HB User

If thinner have more wrinkles, is the opposite also true? Yes, heavier person may look less lined as they age because they have more fat padding just beneath the skin

The Following User Says Thank You to jumprosel For This Useful Post:
dorri (06-16-2011)
Old 06-16-2011, 08:26 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumprosel View Post
If thinner have more wrinkles, is the opposite also true? Yes, heavier person may look less lined as they age because they have more fat padding just beneath the skin
Yes, as John said it there is a downside as well as fat doesn't distribute as evenly as we would like. Fat padding isn't always bad, a little is good for you or so I've heard. I read that obese people under 40 look older with extra weight but those over 40 look younger with a little bit of extra fat on the face. Where they pulled out this magic number is beyond me? But putting this aside, from my own experience of lines and the gaunt look I feel I could use some fat on my face. Problem is to get it there.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:31 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumprosel View Post
Yes, as John said it there is a downside as well, as fat doesn't distribute as evenly as we would like. Fat padding isn't always bad, a little is good for you or so I've heard. I read that obese people under 40 look older with extra weight but those over 40 look younger with a little bit of extra fat on the face. Where they pulled out this magic number is beyond me? But putting this aside, from my own experience of lines and the gaunt look I feel I could use some fat on my face. Problem is to get it there.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:51 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorri View Post
Do you know if it will stay on the tummy or eventually will it distribute to other parts of the body?
I think it depends on the individual and how much weight they gain. One example I remember is my brother. He was very thin when he was young. At about age 30 (?) he suddenly developed a pot belly. So he was a thin guy with a pot belly. At about age 60 he had gained so much more weight that the pot belly wasn't noticeable. It's not that it got redistributed, it's just that the rest of him got filled up around it.

It's like a balloon. When you first start blowing up a balloon, it may stick out, like a pot belly, on the front end. But after you fully inflate it, it will be totally round with no part of it sticking out more than the other.

So, lets say the pot belly is stage one, the question is: Can you make it to stage two? And even if you could, wouldn't it put you at higher risk for heart disease, cancer, diabetes etc..? Would it be worth the risk?

The Following User Says Thank You to JohnR41 For This Useful Post:
dorri (06-18-2011)
Old 06-18-2011, 02:19 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Because of a chronic health condition I am only about 87 lbs so you see how frustrating and hard it is for me to gain weight and then instead of going where it's needed, it ends up a pot belly with toothpick legs and arms. John you bring up a good question, is it all worth the risk, but then again being underweight, it's also a risk so that leaves me between a rock and a hard place. I find your post encouraging that eventually the pot belly doesn't show because the rest fills in, I like that.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:16 AM   #9
(female)

LUANNE DE WITT HB User

You worry far too much which causes wrinkles. LIVE LAUGH LOVE and keep skinny for you're probably in better health than the fat ones w/o wrinkles.

Reply Reply