HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Aging Issues (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/aging-issues/)
-   -   Not ready for this! (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/aging-issues/857105-not-ready.html)

nannie8 07-01-2011 07:45 AM

Not ready for this!

Okay, I have an issue that's been bugging and please don't think I'm overly vain, but here goes: I have ALWAYS looked much younger than my years. All through my 30's people thought I was 20, and my 40's people STILL thought I was in my late 20's...still got carded, etc. I'm a 45 year old female. Anyway, recently, and I mean VERY recently, my skin seems to have aged dramatically, like just in the last 5-6 months!! I look at pictures from last fall, early winter and I look very youthful and then starting in or around March/April, I feel like I'm starting to look old. I can't figure it out. My "laugh lines" have deepened, crows feet are starting to show and my skin in general looks VERY dull, rough, and most definitely NOT radiant. Even the skin on the rest of my body looks terrible to me, but my face is really getting me down. I have tried many different anti-aging products, sun repair products, wrinkle/moisture products, you name it...and I have always used good products on my skin and always took care to wash make-up off, etc. I also never EVER wear makeup on my skin itself, no foundation or anything....just mascara, liner and lip gloss, under-eye concealer, that's it. I eat healthy and drink lots of water. I do smoke, but I don't see how aging could have accelerated so rapidly. Youthfulness runs in my family, my mom smokes and she's 81, but looks 65, tops. Same with my sister. I don't get it. What would speed it up like that? It worries me. My boyfriend is 10 years younger than me and thought I was younger than him when we met...and now I feel like I'm really starting to look old...not that he has ever indicated he thinks so...he tells me I'm beautiful all the time and he isn't shallow like that, but it worries me all the same. Call it vain, I suppose it is, but I have always prided myself on looking youthful and now that seems to have disappeared overnight. I have never been really overweight, but I had put on some pounds over the years and after surgery (and quitting smoking once for a year) and in the past year or so I have lost probably a total of 25 pounds...could that be it? I was thin when I met my boyfriend, but I've even lost about 10 pounds since then...could those 10 pounds put me over that threshold and started the accelerated aging in my face? I haven't really been dieting, just changed lifestyle and don't eat nearly as much as I used to and I'm not depressed so I don't use food for comfort anymore....so the pounds just came off before I knew it. I like being very thin now, but I'm not happy with feeling like I look haggard. Has anyone experienced anything like this? Do you know of any excellent products to combat lines and old sun damage, roughness, uneven-ness and add radiance back and stop me from looking old before my time? Thank you and forgive the superficial nature of my issue, but as any woman knows, youthfulness and radiance is important to us, helps us feel better about ourselves and boosts confidence...I believe our looks should match our attitudes and energy level and that just isn't happening with me right now!! I have finally gotten happy in my life, wonderful man, wonderful life, put a lot of unhappiness and stress behind me, etc., so now I have to start looking old? Doesn't seem fair!

sugarisland 07-02-2011 05:14 AM

Re: Not ready for this!

Hi there, look like you do look after your skin very well. The only things I can see that caused problem are definitely weight loss and stress. One "advantage" of weight gain in the face is that it tends to fill out wrinkles and creases that come with age. So if you lose a lot of weight, you may find yourself with a few lines in your face you didn't know you had. If you lose a lot of weight over a fairly short period of time and are thinner than you have been in a long time, people may think you look thin and unhealthy. Much of that perception is based on the comparison of your current look to that of your heavier appearance to which your boy friend and family had grown accustomed. In addition, skin damaged by excessive sun exposure may not be as resilient after weight loss. Put some pounds to yourself gradually, there some skin tips that you can follow, and most of them you've already done that, drink lots of water, quality sleep if you can not sleep well try banana in the evening, it works for me and my husband extremely well, not too much fried foods, eat good carb., no sugar, no alcohol, stop smoking, no caffeine ( may be 1-2 cups of tea & coffee a day), avoid direct contact to the sun, use good moisturizer & with SPF, pamper yourself at beauty spa whenever you have a chance, and last meditation, just 10 min set your own time once a week at least. I am sure you will gain your youthful beautiful skin back. Please let us know. Good luck & all the best to you.