It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Aging Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2012, 08:38 AM   #16
Inactive
(female)

uptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB User
Re: Afraid of dying/illness?

I don't think you are alone in your thoughts and the desire to have some control over the end of your suffering. Some states have enacted the right-to-die but they are few and far between. Some would say we treat our pets better when it comes to "putting them to sleep" to end their suffering.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:44 AM   #17
(female)

tinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB User

Thank you for your response and understanding. The typical reaction is something else altogether. To compound the issue, a friend in CA sent me an article (very recent), latimes.com, re, "An ailing wife (84, constant pain, totally dependent, etc.) takes her life; a husband (88) is arrested. The problem? He did not call 911, as she wanted him not to call, but sat by her as she died. This is a crime.

I look at my husband who has been ordered by me never to call 911 and the poor thing could end up in jail? Is this insane, or what?

Last edited by tinam7; 07-15-2012 at 09:46 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to tinam7 For This Useful Post:
katrae (07-21-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2012, 01:18 PM   #18
Inactive
(female)

uptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB User

I have to check-the-box next to "INSANE"

Old 07-16-2012, 05:35 AM   #19
(female)

tinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB User

So I'm not alone, thank you, but the likes of us have no say whatsoever. I also read recently that we have no right to die of old age, for example. A disease must be noted on a death certificate. If we are in excruciating pain because of a cracked spine or hip, let's say, do not want to exist in a stupor of pain killers, what's the disease?

It seems we have a terrible problem in this regard that generally can't even be addressed. But I proceed undaunted. With all the info that is available to us, I feel optimistic.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:29 AM   #20
Inactive
(female)

There are many of --us-- out here. As the "boomers" continue to age and die, I think this subject will become to the forefront. In the meantime.... get out and enjoy the life you have. We all could get hit by a bus tomorrow. I hope to die at 110 while being run over by a herd of miniature horses. One can dream....

Old 07-16-2012, 01:28 PM   #21
(female)

Yes, I do try to enjoy the life there is repressing thoughts of the rest. Works sometimes. Other times I can only think of what I know happened to others in my family, am determined not to go there but how will I avoid it? That's what I must work at myself. It will be nice when the subject is out of the closet.

Sure appreciate your input.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:56 AM   #22
(female)

Good that you are keeping us this side of the law. Actually, I'm not looking for anything assisted. I want to be on my own. Can't have husband sitting around either or he'll go to jail. All I can think of is learning to use heat, but I'm terrible with anything technical and it would be so messy. You know who are doing well? The criminals on death row: they get a shot to be calm and then another to do them in.

I have googled my head off, everyone wants to save me. But I'll try again. Thank you for being a kindred soul. It is more urgent for me because I am much older and there are terrible family genes which are already showing up. I'm not putting car keys in the fridge yet, but there are signs. Personality changes too, sometimes for the better, ha ha.

Old 07-21-2012, 12:22 PM   #23
(female)

katrae HB User

LOL, UptownJ, live to 110 and be run over by a herd of miniature horses. One can dream....

I LOVE it, much better than my wish for a large semi-truck to come for me......anytime from here on out. Thanks for the giggle!

Old 07-31-2012, 02:37 PM   #24
(female)

Susan Perkowitz HB User

Hi Plum,

I know exactly how you feel. I have disabling dementia and it has been so difficult. I've not been able to hold a real job or do anything most of my adult life.

My prayers are with you,

Susie Perkowitz

Old 08-01-2012, 04:59 AM   #25
(female)

How brave of you to acknowledge dementia. It is in my family and, I believe, is making its appearance in my head. We get vascular dementia from mini strokes.

I am frantically trying to contain it, or at least slow it, with much exercise, including puzzles and learning for the mind. Any coping suggestions you've discovered and practice?

Old 08-01-2012, 12:50 PM   #26
(female)

Riley518 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumtired View Post
Dying doesn't frighten me at all. The thing which causes me the most anxiety is thinking of the possible journey! I'm alone and there is no one who would care of me should I lay up for months or years with cancer. It's my one fear. I actually have cancer-phobia and it causes me serious anxiety. The older I get the worse it becomes!

In all reality, I should be concerned about heart failure but nope, it's the BIG C word that scares me to the brink of going mad!

I wonder is us 'oldies' all feel this way or is it just me?

Thanks for reading this and I hope you will reply.

God bless,

Plum

Old 08-01-2012, 12:55 PM   #27
(female)

Riley518 HB User

I'm not afraid of losing this earthly shell, I know where I'm going once I do, and it's a better place than this.

If I were going to be afraid of anything, it would be my Doctor. He doesn't bother to research the drugs he gives older people. If he had, he'd have found that LYSINOPRIL should not be given to we "oldies", for High B.P., because of the very respiratory difficulties it has caused me.

I have not been able to do my relaxation exercises to lower my B.P. since June2, 2012 because of him.

I choose to forgive him, I released him to God who loves him, and pray that God blesses him, and causes him to fall in love with Jesus, though. Hope to see him in heaven!

I have a new Doc, and the drug he is giving me now, VERAPAMIL raises my B.P., and when it gets over 140, I have to take my Clonidine. (Catapres).

I thank God I have it, but it kind of wipes me out. Better than stroking out, I guess.

God Bless, Riley518

Last edited by Riley518; 08-01-2012 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Left out something..

Old 08-02-2012, 08:14 AM   #28
Inactive
(female)

I think as we age.... and hopefully we do, our bodies just don't work like they used to. When our brains aren't as sharp as they once were it is frustrating, to say the least! To hunt for that word... or to try to remember someone's name, or to try to find your car key's drives me nuts. We find little ways of coping... writing notes to ourselves, always putting your car keys in the same spot helps. What I have seen in my friends.... they do the same things. We are all deteriorating, mentally, in the same way. Funny.... we assist each other to find that word, or remember that name. As for mental deterioration from dementia or alzheimer's it is just plain lousy. I would try to seek help as soon as possible but ultimately, it is in God's hands. We live each day the best we can, we treat each other with respect, we try to leave a good mark on this Earth, but none of us get out of this life alive.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:40 AM   #29
Inactive
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley518 View Post
I'm not afraid of losing this earthly shell, I know where I'm going once I do, and it's a better place than this.

If I were going to be afraid of anything, it would be my Doctor. He doesn't bother to research the drugs he gives older people. If he had, he'd have found that LYSINOPRIL should not be given to we "oldies", for High B.P., because of the very respiratory difficulties it has caused me.

I have not been able to do my relaxation exercises to lower my B.P. since June2, 2012 because of him.

I choose to forgive him, I released him to God who loves him, and pray that God blesses him, and causes him to fall in love with Jesus, though. Hope to see him in heaven!

I have a new Doc, and the drug he is giving me now, VERAPAMIL raises my B.P., and when it gets over 140, I have to take my Clonidine. (Catapres).

I thank God I have it, but it kind of wipes me out. Better than stroking out, I guess.

God Bless, Riley518
Riley 518... BP regulation can be a tough one. Everybody is so different and what a doctor usually chooses is a drug that has been well tolerated by many of his patients. My husband is on Lysinopril and it works well for him. My sister-in-law, (hubby's sister) on the other hand, has had a very difficult time finding the correct medication she could tolerate and also lowers her blood pressure. Until a patient tries to take a drug, no one knows how they are going to do on it. My husband is an "oldie" too. One of the rare side effects is difficulty in breathing but it isn't typical. Unfortunately, you had it. It is actually a good drug to be given to us old dudes. You just were one who could not use that drug. I am glad you could forgive your first doctor, but try to let go of the idea he didn't know what he was doing when he gave you Lysinopril. He did his best, but had no way of knowing you were going to react badly to the drug. I don't know if you went back to the first doctor or not but he would have done just what your new doctor did.... put you on another medication. All's well that end's well. You are now on a drug that works for you and that's the most important thing. Take care, Sharon

Closed Thread