It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Aging Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2012, 07:13 PM   #1
(female)

stasis4 HB Userstasis4 HB Userstasis4 HB User
Sunscreen good or bad to prevent skin aging??

I've used sun screen for a long time to prevent direct UV sun exposure to the skin, especially my face. But lately I've read contradictory things about sunscreen. How in fact with all the chemicals and stuff, frequent sunscreen use can be harmful.

So now I'm confused. Living in a very hot sunny state like Texas, it's just hard to escape bright sun exposure. And my skin seems to be sensitive since my face tends to turn red pretty fast in the sun.

I want to avoid sun related skin aging as much as possible. But now I'm wondering if there are other or better alternatives to sun screen or perhaps more skin healthy brands.

Any recommendations any one?

Last edited by stasis4; 01-22-2012 at 07:14 PM.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:22 AM   #2
(female)

lymiee HB User
Re: Sunscreen good or bad to prevent skin aging??

I you used a sunscreen - use one natural made with zinc or something like that. and take some vitamin D3!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2012, 10:32 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Wear a broad brimmed hat whenever you're out in the sun. So, you don't need sunscreen. Then eat a healthy diet containing a large variety of fresh fruit, vegetables, unprocessed grains, olive oil etc.. You may see some results in a matter of weeks. And above all, eliminate ALL processed foods. Processed foods will only serve to speed up the aging process.

Last edited by JohnR41; 03-10-2012 at 10:33 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to JohnR41 For This Useful Post:
dusky blue (05-05-2012)
Old 04-07-2012, 08:47 AM   #4
(female)

claud883 HB Userclaud883 HB User

Drink a lot of water and use calamine lotion in place of a sunscreen lotions.

The Following User Says Thank You to claud883 For This Useful Post:
sandy4u (08-16-2012)
Old 04-08-2012, 11:14 PM   #5
(male)

jackluies HB User

Does not calamine lotion have any side effect on the skin?

Old 05-04-2012, 05:14 AM   #6
(female)

stasis4 HB Userstasis4 HB Userstasis4 HB User

Besides skin aging is skin cancer to worry about. Thanks for the calamine tip. Would it be o.k. for use on arms and body and would it help stop sun spots and stuff just like sun block

Last edited by stasis4; 05-23-2012 at 02:26 PM.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:13 AM   #7
(male)

68GTX HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stasis4 View Post
I've used sun screen for a long time to prevent direct UV sun exposure to the skin, especially my face. But lately I've read contradictory things about sunscreen. How in fact with all the chemicals and stuff, frequent sunscreen use can be harmful.

So now I'm confused. Living in a very hot sunny state like Texas, it's just hard to escape bright sun exposure. And my skin seems to be sensitive since my face tends to turn red pretty fast in the sun.

I want to avoid sun related skin aging as much as possible. But now I'm wondering if there are other or better alternatives to sun screen or perhaps more skin healthy brands.

Any recommendations any one?

I have the same concerns as I received too much sun exposure in my youth from the beach, pool club, and then golf. These days I try to keep my head and face covered up if I go out in the strong sun for more than 15 min or so. Not a big fan of the chemicals in the sunscreens either. But I know I have to apply something if I'm going to be out in the sun for an extended period. However, I also believe that the epidemic of skin cancers we now face are a product of poor diet, environmental toxins (chemicals), and lack of Vit D from too little sun exposure. So to balance this I still ensure that I receive 15-30 minutes of overall body sun exposure a few times a week w/o sunscreen. Lack of Vit D will age the skin too via overall body inflammation. For most people, the sun is the best source of Vit D available. I know for me, taking oral Vit B supplements has not been as effective as the sun. There are people with Crohn's disease for example that can't process adequate Vit D via their diets. They have to get it from UV rays or remain deficient.

So for me I get enough sunshine to keep my blood Vit D levels in the range recommended by the Vitamin D Council but also being wary of not overexposing my skin to unnecessary UV. Wide brimmed UV hats, specially designed UV clothing, SPF 50 sunblock, and a healthy diet high in antioxidants all helps. The exposure to the chemicals in the sunblock cannot be helpful to the body. Each person has to balance these factors the best they can. I use sunblock only a few times per month so I've never really tried to find the "healthiest" brand. People who have worked outside for a living have been getting lots of sun exposure for centuries. But it's only in the past 50 yrs or so where the indicidences of skin cancer have sky rocketed. Personally, I think there's far more risk from too little sun exposure than too much (ie low vit D levels vs. higher levels). Has anyone ever seen a study performed on skin cancer vs. geographic location. I have a hunch that here in the USA the incidences of skin cancer might be higher in the upper half of the country than in the lower half. It's that way with many other cancers as well. Is the rate of skin cancers higher or lower among baseball players, golfers and greenskeepers, construction workers and roofers, and lifeguards vs. the general population?

I'd much rather use the wide brimmed hat than lather chemicals all over my skin. The sunscreen goes on only when I don't have any other option.

Last edited by 68GTX; 07-11-2012 at 06:19 AM.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:02 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

crookedhearts HB Usercrookedhearts HB Usercrookedhearts HB User

I have read about this too, but I did a lot of research on it. In case you haven't read about it, stay away from the higher spf sunscreens (like 80spf and above), as they contain large and unnecessary amounts of the same chemicals in regular spf sunscreen and people often mistakenly believe that they are more protected than they actually are with the higher spfs.

Also, we've all heard some people saying that you should only use "physical" (or mineral, ie titanium dioxde and/or zinc) rather than "chemical" sunscreens. This is because people are afraid of chemicals and concerned about a study that showed that even while sunscreens protect us from the sun, they can also create free radicals in doing so--which promotes the same kind of damage as the suns rays.

But these same studies also showed that this was the case with ALL sunscreens (titanium dioxide created the most free radicals in some cases), and if you wear antioxidants (vitamin E, B, C etc) with your sunscreen, the antioxidants can help soak up any free radicals that could be created by your sunscreen. Many sunscreens (esp the chemical kind) now include antioxidants because of this. Certain combos of the chemicals also provide more stable protection now (research it to find out which ones are the best if you care).

Plus, it is the CHEMICAL sunscreens that protect you from UVA rays--which are the rays that age you and cause skin damage. Provided your sunscreen is stable and has antioxidants (and these days even in the drugstore most of them do) you are better off going with a chemical sunscreen (or at the very least, some sort of s/s) than without. Just make sure your s/s is BROADSPECTRUM and PHOTOSTABLE.

As for going without sunscreen? I would ignore this advice and the reasoning behind it (unless there is a real reason you cant wear it). Most people only apply s/s to their faces daily anyways so I wouldn't worry about not getting enough. In the first place, it's still rare to be vitamin d deficient and most dr just prescribe a supplement for it (not a big deal compared to being sun damaged and wrinkled IMO). I would also think it far more likely that the reason skin cancer rates are increasing is because we have A DIMINISHED OZONE LAYER along with unprecedented effects of global warming--i mean, it's not such a big mystery if you look at the big picture...but whatever, i also agree that poor diets might have something to do with it too (antioxidants protect us and we need more protection than ever now).

Also, something to watch out for: most studies show that people do not apply the proper amounts of sunscreen, and often assume they are more protected than they actually are. You have to keep applying it throughout the day, and pretty much all the time if you're going swimming or sweating, and who does that?

Last edited by crookedhearts; 08-17-2012 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Clarification

Old 08-16-2012, 07:24 AM   #9
(male)

sandy4u HB User
Talking Re: Sunscreen good or bad to prevent skin aging??

Quote:
Originally Posted by claud883 View Post
Drink a lot of water and use calamine lotion in place of a sunscreen lotions.
is only calamine lotion works well, is there need to apply both calamine lotion and sun screen to protection from both UB A and UB B rays.
thanks

Old 08-16-2012, 08:03 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

crookedhearts HB Usercrookedhearts HB Usercrookedhearts HB User

Dont use calamine lotion. Just use a broad-spectrum sunscreen. Labels can differ, but usually a sunscreen will say that it's broad-spectrum and protects from both UVA and UVB rays.

Old 08-17-2012, 05:46 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Suisse85 HB UserSuisse85 HB User

I live in South Florida and the sun here is as bad as it can be anywhere in the US. I always wore a sun visor or anything else to keep the sun off my face. I have a hard time keeping up with the sunscreen. The typical stuff makes my face burn. I think it's the PABA, whatever that might be.

My husband has to get his skin checked every 6 months because he was a life guard back before there even was sun screen. His skin is the worst possible type for the sun. He gets little bad bits zapped off regularly. It's just a way of life in Florida.

Closed Thread