It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Aging Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2012, 11:27 AM   #16
(female)

Lotsadogs HB User
Re: is this normal?

Remember the old saying --- getting old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!!! Try hanging out with younger people -- especially kids. My 6 year old grandson just told me he thought I was fat -- I told him no -- not fat, just fluffy. He accepted that unconditionally and went on his merry way.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:13 AM   #17
Veteran
(female)

jillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB User

Hi tin

I don't think we can prepare for the worst. and what seems worse to one person may not seem worse to another. I try to not anticipate trouble. It seems like looking for it always finds it. Enough stuff happens without me worrying about it. But I know what you are saying. We don't get younger when we age or more capable or attractive looking, after all! I believe in an afterlife of heaven and personally that is what comforts me the most.

Last edited by jillian4; 05-30-2012 at 06:14 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2012, 08:21 AM   #18
(female)

tinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB User

Hi Jill: Well, I very much want to prepare for the worst but do not have the means. That's my beef. The worst may indeed not happen (drift off in my sleep) but then again it may happen: body falls apart, lose control of mind, lose bodily functions, lose dignity, etc. Any quality of life is gone.

Am not at all affected by the emphasis on appearance, looks, etc. I keep in shape and like to recognize myself in the mirror even with wrinkles. I do not fear death nor do I think anyone is waiting for me on the other side. In fact, for me everything is over when it's over right here on earth. It's getting there with ever more mechanical means of prolonging the end that can be the worst in my still functioning mind.

Last edited by Administrator; 06-14-2013 at 09:14 AM.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:05 PM   #19
Veteran
(female)

jillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB User

I so know what you are saying about being prepared, and if I dwell on the possibilities I would go nuts. I hope I can ambulate and take basic care of myself until I (hopefully) die in my sleep!

PS, sorry it has been so long before I got back here.

Last edited by jillian4; 07-20-2012 at 08:06 PM.

Old 07-21-2012, 11:48 AM   #20
(female)

katrae HB User

Hello Tinam7. You've voiced many of my own concerns and I'm in my mid 60's. I'm very appreciative of my many blessings, but am concerned about the future of possible bad health. Then I remember, I may die on the road going home this evening. This usually stops me from obsessing. Bed time is the worst, harder to control my thoughts. Oh heavens yes, give me that pill from On The Beach! I think it will eventually be available, but not in our lifetime.

"If we don't consider what may happen we can end up in situations we can't deal with, don't want to deal with. I want one of those little pills they hand out in On The Beach to pre-empt an end with awful radiation disease. Maybe I don't want to linger in a care facility with any number of possible end of life horrors. Of the 4 in my family there were 3 horrifying endings. Must I be the 4th? Please make no mistake: my old age is very nice except for this worry. You know the saying, "Hope for the best; prepare for the worst." How?"

Old 07-22-2012, 05:38 AM   #21
(female)

tinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB User

My preoccupation goes in cycles. A relative's hip breaks and I think, "How would I deal with this?" Not so long ago this was the end. Not now. Indeed it can work out well, to be sure. But, mercy, it can be one big struggle going nowhere. I do not have the necessary support and simply could not endure the dependency. Have notes in my purse, "Do not call 911, take me home."

And at home? That is what I still have to work out.

The Following User Says Thank You to tinam7 For This Useful Post:
katrae (07-27-2012)
Old 07-31-2012, 08:23 AM   #22
(female)

Ilovedollhouses HB UserIlovedollhouses HB UserIlovedollhouses HB UserIlovedollhouses HB User

I guess aging or growing old is what we make of it...We can sit and wallow about our days gone by or make the most of it and hurt when it hurts...I, too, have some fear of dying...But, this is just because I will miss my family so much...I just can't imagine my life without my husband...Thinking about it, I find it more of an acceptance time of our life....Kind of like "this is what it is so make the most of it"....I have many hobbies so for me my days are filled...However, like most of you, I do have my aches and pains...All part of this thing called "older age"...My best to all...Take care....ILD

Reply Reply