It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Aging Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2012, 09:36 AM   #1
(female)

Jada62 HB UserJada62 HB User
is this normal?

I am68 and never have been through growing old before..this is terrible.. aches and pains in the am until i move around..anxiety .fear of death and getting sick.. every pain means cancer or heart attack(of course the media and magazines do a great job of scaring the heck out of you)..ibs diareha that i cannot leave thehouse..meneiers is this what growing old is????

Old 02-26-2012, 09:31 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: is this normal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jada62 View Post
I am68 and never have been through growing old before..this is terrible..
If I had only known that aging was going to be this much of a pain in the arse, I would have refused to age!

Age is not just a number. With each older age, the sagging gets worse, physical ability and strength and energy gets worse. And, of course, things start breaking down! Getting old certainly isn't a lot of fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jada62 View Post
.. aches and pains in the am until i move around..anxiety .fear of death and getting sick..
I get a little stiffness in the morning. Getting to my feet is a little slow. The more that I exercise the day before, the stiffer that I am in the morning.

Buts...... we can do something to make the aging process a little better. I've found that I feel a lot better thru exercise and thru a small meal, low calorie, frequent eating diet.

My wife and I have exercised our way out of knee problems, shoulder problems, rotator cuff problems; and I can do a lot more physical work, especially over my head, than I used to be able to do.

Plus..... eating six times a day is a pleasant hobby! Eating often gives me something to do, and something to look forward to. The busier we keep ourselves, with fun things, the less time we have to think about aging.

I eat mostly cereals, salads and veggie plates. We fix the salads and veggie plates during the evening, so that preparing each meal the next day takes no time at all.

Quote:
... every pain means cancer or heart attack(of course the media and magazines do a great job of scaring the heck out of you)..ibs diareha that i cannot leave thehouse..meneiers is this what growing old is????
I am sorry to hear about your other health problems and about your anxiety. I hope that you can find a way to better cope with growing old. I finally stopped worrying about tomorrow, or next year, and decided that I am going to enjoy today as much as I can, just in case tomorrow doesn't come.

Take care......

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 02-26-2012 at 09:43 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Machaon For This Useful Post:
dusky blue (04-21-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2012, 04:04 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

hypatia HB Userhypatia HB User

At 71 with COPD & oxygen, Afib, arthritis,etc.,I can definitely relate. However, Machaon (I have trouble with that spelling has given you great advice. If I hadn't stuck with an exercise program, I would probably be on the other side of the grass now. If you aren't active, I suggest you start walking till you can do 30 min. at a time, even if it's just around the house. Weight-lifing and stretching are also good for our ancient muscles.

I also suffer from severe anxiety--my primary doctor is sympathetic and prescribed low dose xanax/alprazolem. Since my anxiety has been a life long issue, I wish I had pursued some type of counseling, but it's a little late now.

I will say that I appreciate the little things in life a lot more now and no longer worry that I'll die in my sleep (which might be a blessing). Whatever happens is supposed to happen, I believe. In the meantime, I try to take the best care of myself possible so that I don't become a burden to those close to me. Best wishes to you, Jada62.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hypatia For This Useful Post:
dusky blue (04-21-2012), katrae (07-21-2012)
Old 03-12-2012, 10:14 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

jillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB User

I can add that I choose to dwell on things I can still enjoy. We can always choose what we dwell upon.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:54 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

All good advice. Get up and get moving - whatever you can. I have all sorts of minor issues - and I choose to call them minor! - as well but I make myself work out 2 days a week and jog 2 miles 3-4 times a week. Am 66, have asthma, allergies, on HRT and BP meds, mild case of Raynaud's and probably a few other things and I just finished first out of 4 in my age group in a 5K last Saturday! I may age but I refuse to "be old".

Old 03-13-2012, 11:49 AM   #6
(female)

Jada62 HB UserJada62 HB User

"I may age but refuse to be old>">>i will try telling that to myself over and over when i have my next pity party. great mantra!!!

Old 03-17-2012, 10:18 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Yes, in our culture, it's normal. The average person in the U.S. today is overweight or obese. By age 65, the average person takes at least one prescription medication. By 75, the average person takes 3 or more prescription medications, and 5 or more is not uncommon.

But it doesn't have to be that way and it's not that way in all cultures. The Japanese in Okinawa are the healthiest and longest lived people in the world. Their disease rates are much much lower in all categories. This was determined by a 20 year study by 2 American doctors. And it was determined not to be genetic because second generation Japanese-Americans have the same rates of disease as other Americans.

The book that describes their lifestyle: "The Okinawa Program"

Last edited by JohnR41; 03-20-2012 at 02:18 PM.

Old 03-17-2012, 05:00 PM   #8
(female)

dusky blue HB Userdusky blue HB User

you'r ok in a sense you've got someone to share with & that's wonderful, I'm also 68 & have a great active husband. I think of people on they're own & what it must be like when they feel " This is it I'm on my own" and it's really tough for some people

Old 03-17-2012, 05:04 PM   #9
(female)

dusky blue HB Userdusky blue HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR41 View Post
Yes, in our culture, it's normal. The average person in the U.S. today is overweight or obese. By age 65, the average person is taking at least one prescription medication. By 75, the average person takes 3 or more prescription medications, and 5 or more is not uncommon.

But it doesn't have to be that way and it's not that way in all cultures. The Japanese in Okinawa are the healthiest and longest lived people in the world. Their disease rates are much much lower in all categories. This was determined by a 20 year study by 2 American doctors. And it was determined not to be genetic because second generation Japanese-Americans have the same rates of disease as other Americans.

The book that describes their lifestyle: "The Okinawa Program"
And now the Chinese are turning to a more "western" way of life. Like importing more beef (ugh) and modified dried baby milk

Old 03-25-2012, 09:41 AM   #10
(female)

tinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB User

My great fear is to lose mobility and become dependent on anyone. Feel I am old enough (almost 75) to say I've had a good life, but do not want to be carted off anywhere for procedures that may prolong my days with little to now quality.

Don't know how to deal with this preoccupation.

The following user gives a hug of support to tinam7:
jillian4 (03-30-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to tinam7 For This Useful Post:
katrae (07-21-2012)
Old 03-30-2012, 01:39 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

jillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB User

None of us want to lose mobility or become dependent. None of us can guess or control the future. Deal with the fear of 'what ifs'. What we choose to dwell on is just that, a choice.

You can change your preoccupation if you practice. To deal with a negative preoccupation, choose to occupy your mind on a positive subject, such as gratefulness for what you have each day. This even helps people that are already dealing with limitations. Look for the sunshine, and be a person that smiles at and encourages others. It helps to take our mind off ourselves.

s

Old 03-31-2012, 06:04 AM   #12
(female)

tinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB User

Thank you for the reply. Actually I've engaged in what you suggest and it is all good. Works for a while. Then something else happens that lets me know what's likely to be in store considering genes and family history.

I'd be content to know that I have a way out when dignity is lost, mind is on the way out, can't do for myself no less anyone else. In this regard I am left completely to myself. So I try to look for solutions. Probably impossible to come by, but I keep trying.

The following user gives a hug of support to tinam7:
jillian4 (04-18-2012)
Old 04-07-2012, 08:35 AM   #13
(female)

claud883 HB Userclaud883 HB User

You can not avoid aging, instead of making it an issue follow some exercise regime. Spending few hours with nature doing light exercise would surely help you to cope-up with the issues most common with age.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:31 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

Well I sure don't blame you, tinam. Facing facts of life is important...just don't deal with what could happen before it happens. You know you it also might not happen to you.

Last edited by jillian4; 04-18-2012 at 10:32 AM.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:25 AM   #15
(female)

Thank you for the hugs, sending the same to you but don't know how other than saying it. A bit of a techno dummy.

If we don't consider what may happen we can end up in situations we can't deal with, don't want to deal with. I want one of those little pills they hand out in On The Beach to pre-empt an end with awful radiation disease. Maybe I don't want to linger in a care facility with any number of possible end of life horrors. Of the 4 in my family there were 3 horrifying endings. Must I be the 4th? Please make no mistake: my old age is very nice except for this worry. You know the saying, "Hope for the best; prepare for the worst." How?

The Following User Says Thank You to tinam7 For This Useful Post:
katrae (07-21-2012)
Reply Reply