It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2001, 05:28 PM   #1

jim20 HB User
Post Allegra & Flonase

I was given an allergy test and I am allergic to mold, dust, various trees, grass, weeds, and cats/dogs. I was given Allegra and Flonase for my symptoms. The Flonase has helped me breath through my nose, and the Allegra seems to have stopped my allergy attacks to a certain extent. But I still have itchy/watery eyes, coughing, ear popping/itching, and chest tightness.

My next appointment with my allergist is at the end of April to check my progress.

Honestly, it doesn't feel like these drugs are helping much. Should I continue to take them until I see the doctor again (this would give the drugs some time to do their work) or should I call them now and ask for something different? What other drugs are out there that could help relieve my symptoms?

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2001, 11:42 PM   #2
Inactive

U2fan HB User
I have been through the whole gammut of allergy medications (Claritin, Claritin D, Zyrtec, Allegra, Allegra D) and did not find complete relief either. I would suggest you seriously consider allergy shots. Also, I have been using a vitamin supplement called Allermune that has provided a good amount of relief as many of the ingredients inhibit histamine release and control nasal inflamation. You might also want to ask your doctor about prescribing Mescolor. I found it to be more effective than Claritin, Zyrtec and Allegra.

[This message has been edited by moderator1 (edited 04-01-2001).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2001, 12:33 PM   #3

jim20 HB User
Smile

I am currently in the process of cleaning out my ENTIRE house, which has been quite a project for the past few days. I purchased a new vacuum cleaner with a HEPA filter, also matress coverings and pillow coverings, dust mite shampoo for upholstery and carpets, and a HEPA filter for the bedroom. I have hardwood floors in every room except the family room, so it's possible that I could be safe in my house. But I want to go outside, it's spring time! and my allergies prevent this. I will ask my doctor about the shots and Mescolor.

What exactly are allergy shots, anyway? How often do you have to get them, etc?

Old 04-02-2001, 10:58 AM   #4

RoyalPalm HB User
The allergy shot is not medicine. It is an attempt to modify your bodys response to the allergy causing antibody (IgE) by the formation of what is thought to be a "blocking antibody" (IgG). It is done by injecting increasingly larger amounts of the very substances to which you are allergic. In this way, the allergy (IgE) antibodies cannot exert their effects and cause allergy symptoms. In order for allergy shots to be effective months or years of treatment are required. The shots must be taken regularly and additional medicines are used to help control your symptoms. You should feel relief from your symptoms by the 3 or 4 month and certainly by the time you reach maintenance which is around 6 to 8 months. I am not a physician nor am I representative for the allergy supplement I mentioned above. I am merely passing along information which was presented to me by my physician (including the vitamin supplement). If you are interested in the supplement I mentioned you will not find any information online about it. And, do to the policies of this board I am not permitted to provide you any further information. Your doctors office should have a copy of Allergy and Asthma magazine which features details on the supplement. Good luck and hope you are feeling better soon! :-)

PS: Also wanted to add you might want to check/change your air filters in your home every 3 weeks. I use hospital grade allergy filters which I purchase from a company in Houston (and they are significantly cheaper than the ones you find in Home Depot etc.)and has assisted in lowering the allergen levels in my home. I also recommend having your home ventilation cleaned every year. Mold spores, dust etc. builds up over time in your vents.

[This message has been edited by RoyalPalm (edited 04-02-2001).]

Closed Thread