It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2001, 02:26 PM   #1

isac1 HB User
Post allergies and eye problems

I am curious if anyone has had any eye problems that are related to allergies. I have year round allergies (dust mites, cats, dogs, molds,etc.). I take Flonase and Allegra-D which seems to help somewhat. My eye problems occured about three years ago. I have had allergies since I was a kid, but they got worse about the same time I started having eye problems. I see spots and lines in my vision, and little balls of light that roll down the side of my eyes (see my posting in the eye section). I have dry eyes which is most likely from the allergy medicine I am taking. I also have a lot of sinus pressure behind my eyes. Maybe this could be a cause? I have seen three eye doctors and a neurologist who say I am healthy. My allergy doctor has not given me any indication that he believes my problem could be allergy related. I am going to see a surgeon next month to see if removing some extra air pockets that I have in my sinuses could help with the pressure (and hopefully my eye problems). If anybody has had a similar experience with eye problems they think are related to allergies please let me know!

Old 08-28-2001, 08:28 PM   #2

isac1 HB User
I am a full time college student also, which makes this problem especially frustrating! I sometimes have trouble focusing or reading for a long time, especially the last couple of weeks since my allergies have flaired up. I wear glasses (I have since I was in fourth grade). I do have contacts, but I do not wear them very often because my eyes get irritated. I also am worried that they could hurt my eyes when they are like this, however my doctor insists my eyes are healthy and it is fine to wear them. Do you ever notice that the sinus pressure makes you dizzy? I also am curious if you take any perscription allergy medication and what has worked for you? Thanks for responding, I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who has these problems!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2001, 04:54 PM   #3

kristopher HB User
You may find this hard too believe,but out of all the trial and error with allergy and sinus meds over and under the counter this is what i finally settled with for my medication regiment: Nasal-crom nasal spray and comtrex cold and allergy. The nasal-crom is an over the counter spray that has no side effects and is not like your ordinary nasal spray. It simply forms a protective layer around the mast cells of your sinuses preventing them from releasing histamine when you incur any allergans. The comtrex contains sudafed, chlortrimeton, acetimenophine, and something that starts with a b(which i believe is some kind of expectorant). Anyway, i feel better if i use both of these together. Quite similar to the Comtrex cold and allergy is the Tylenol allergy and sinus which also works good for me. Like many people i have heard from on this board, the prescription meds did not work for me at all. I do a lot better with the over the counter stuff...switching them ever so often so that my immune system wont get too used to them.
It is good to know that i'm not alone with this problem as well but i dont wish this mess on anybody. This vision problem has been bothering me for some time now; as i mentioned earlier it feels like i need to change the prescription in my glasses or somehow focus my eyes better. Meanwhile i will continue to put naphcon in my eyes and take allergy meds to release the pressure behind them. Keep me posted on anything you come across that may be beneficial in solving our problem or if you feel like responding to this post. To answer your question about allergies resulting in dizziness....they really make me feel dizzy and somewhat spacey. This happens because the pressure in my ears becomes unequalized (better known as eustachian tube dysfunction) when i have an allergic reaction. The nasalcrom has helped me tremendously with that problem...it takes about 1-2 weeks to get the full effect.

best of luck,
kris

Closed Thread