It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2008, 07:35 PM   #16
(male)

schuey1 HB User
Re: Itchy arms But no rash!!!!!!

I to suffer from terribly itchy forearms especially at night and seemingly autumn and winter.The only thing that seems to help give me ease is running cold water over my arms,not nice in the middle of winter and maybe 4.00am in the morning.I too have tried all sorts of lotions and potions to no avail.I am now so frastrated with this inch i want to seriously chop my arms off.It has now got to the point were my life is at an all time low,to discribe this as an itch is an under statement someone else discribed it perfectly, like an insect trying to get out from under the skin. Hopefully someday someone will have a remedy or cure for this.Its now gone 2.28am on the 24th january 2008 here in N.ireand and i,m about to put the cold shower hose on my arms before trying to get some sleep.Mental torture or what

Old 06-26-2008, 07:16 AM   #17
(female)

Mary892356 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by llgrimes1 View Post
It's good to know I'm not the only one going through all these same symptoms....I thought I was loosing my mind.I have the same skin irritation on both my arms (from shoulders, to elbows). There are no real visible signs such as bumps, or rashes. The annoying occurance is unpredictable and can affect my right arm for a period of time then go away for months and then the other arm may be affected the next time,or both. As I see with others, symptoms usually occur at night . At times I get no sleep. The most nerve wrecking sympton is when it feels like someone is just poking me continually in just one spot with a pin. The only relief comes from icing it down, to the point my arms are completely numb. I rely on having frozen water bottles next to both arms at night when I'm in bed. It's so annoying,irritating, and nerve wretching to the point it consumes all my energy and makes me feel like a freak! I don't want to seek a doctor until I find someone that knows something about this. What is the cause...nerve damage, stress??I'm sure all of you have answered the same questions when it comes to causes... lotions, detergents, hot baths. I am convinced it is something much deeper. Good luck to all of us that suffer this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2008, 07:24 AM   #18
(female)

Mary892356 HB User

I have the same problem and like you the only thing that helps is ice. I have scratched till I have gotton sores on my arms. It makes me feel like I want to crawl out of my skin. I dont think this is a allergy I have tried allergy medications, itch cream that made it worse. I wander if its possible it could be a build up of some medication I am taking or lack of a mineral or vitamine. I have gone and had adjustments to my spine and neck and that doesnt help either. Here is is July and I am having the problem so mine does not seem to be related to a season. I know it is not dry skin it is deeper than that. It almost feels like something inside crawling. I feel like if I cut my arm open what ever it is would come out and the itch would stop. I know that sounds crazy but that is what it feels like.

Old 07-15-2008, 01:53 AM   #19
(female)

davlau1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary892356 View Post
I have the same problem and like you the only thing that helps is ice. I have scratched till I have gotton sores on my arms. It makes me feel like I want to crawl out of my skin. I dont think this is a allergy I have tried allergy medications, itch cream that made it worse. I wander if its possible it could be a build up of some medication I am taking or lack of a mineral or vitamine. I have gone and had adjustments to my spine and neck and that doesnt help either. Here is is July and I am having the problem so mine does not seem to be related to a season. I know it is not dry skin it is deeper than that. It almost feels like something inside crawling. I feel like if I cut my arm open what ever it is would come out and the itch would stop. I know that sounds crazy but that is what it feels like.
this itch is driving me mad, started a couple of years ago and lasted months and months, doc said it was prob stress but could poss try antihystamin. it just stopped but it came back in the other arm!! same thing at the doctors. cleared for a while and now it has come back in both arms. some relief with ice packs till it gets numb, if i´m in bed and i think `must get to sleep before it starts` just the thought of it sets it off.....wierd or what?? i feel like i am going mad with it and it is infact quite worrying as i don´t want to spend the rest of my life ripping into my arms. femail,57 in the sun at the moment but problem started in `sunny` england!

Old 07-15-2008, 05:53 AM   #20
Senior Veteran
(female)

drs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB User

I'm wondering how many of the posters of this thread have had a full work up on your Thyroid gland function.

Go to that board on here and read the sticky post to see if things fit for you.

I know of a lady that had extremely itchy skin that looked almost like excema (spelling?) she then found out years later after being treated for the above condition that all those years it was her thyroid, skins cleared up and no problems now.

Old 07-29-2008, 01:52 AM   #21
(female)

rejuvenart HB User

I too have had this problem for about ten years now. It only affects my arms, from my wrists all the way up to my shoulders. It drives me absolutely crazy sometimes. Once it starts to itch it builds up an it's hard to stop. I too have that sensation that something is crawling beneath my skin. I have noticed when I eat certain foods it will set it off. The one food that really sets it off is sugar or any foods with processed sugar added to it. I can eat fruit sugars, but not concentrated sugars, or even honey. Another culprit is any kind of alcohol, especially wine. I can drink beer, but not too much. Ice works to relieve the itching and pain and sometimes if I put Vitamin E oil on my arms they seem to calm down after an episode of itching. After itching for a while, a small bump will appear where the itch is and if I scratch too hard or too much it will break the skin and a small sore will develop. If this happens, I have to put neosporin on the spot or it will get worse. This also helps to relieve the itch and pain. Another thing I noticed is this only happens in the warm humid months, usually between late May to Sept. It then stops completely the rest of the year. I live in Florida and it is quite sunny and humid here and I also notice it bothers me more when I spend too much time in the sun.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:05 PM   #22
(female)

Pippa63 HB User
Unhappy Re: Itchy arms But no rash!!!!!!

I have suffered from itchy arms for the last four years. I recognise all the symptoms described in these messages. I have been told it is Brachioradial pruritus and is nerve related. If you put brachioradial pruritus into a search engine you can read various medical abstracts referring to the research that is being done into this condition. I have been prescribed various drugs that have helped for a while - initially Doxepin cream worked and gave me relief. Then I was prescribed gabapentin (neurontin) and now a low dose of amytripyline. I would recommend that anybody with this goes to the doctor as I think it is really unbearable at night and being without sleep is so damaging to your health. My doctor had not heard of it but was interested enough to research the condition - fortunately I have a friend who is a dermatologist who instantly knew what it was. At the moment the amitryptiline is not working but it did give me great relief last year. I don't know what else they can try for me but I think different medication will work for different people.

I have great sympathy for anybody with this condition and think that doctors should be made aware of it - there are plenty of sufferers about! It seems like a silly thing to go to the doctor with but I was so desperate for sleep when I went to the doctor the first year I had it I just couldn't function in my job.

Last edited by Pippa63; 09-03-2008 at 08:22 PM.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:07 PM   #23
(female)

hossana3 HB User

I am so relieved to feel like I have found people with the exact thing that I am dealing with. It is so frustrating when no one understands what your going through... especially the doctors. I started having the itchy arms earlier this year. I can't tell you how many times I saw the dermatologist and tried a numerous amount of prescriptions. Most didn't work at all, and the only relief I have been able to get is when I use the anti itch cream which is very temporary. At night, I take an antihistamine, mostly because it knocks me out so I can sleep. Hasn't really seemed to have any affect on the itch itself. The best feeling I get is when I can put a cold cloth or ice pack on it. I am going to try to find a Dr. who knows about this condition. I will keep checking back to see other suggestions others may have. Thank you.

Susan

Old 09-18-2008, 04:48 AM   #24
Senior Veteran
(female)

drs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB User

One other thing, have your B-12 levels checked. I saw a show recently and this was one of their side effects.

Closed Thread