It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2001, 06:19 PM   #1

Jarheadd44 HB User
Angry Itchy arms But no rash!!!!!!

I am a healthy 44 year old male, with no known alliergies to date. My left and right arms itch so bad that I want to tear the skin right off. The itch is a deep tingling itch that comes and goes at will. It can be either arm but mostly my left arm and elbow. It can last for hours at a time and then go away for months. The only relief that I know of is to put something cold on it. It has even woke me up at night.
PLEASE HELP !!!!

Old 11-30-2001, 11:40 AM   #2

Natopheli HB User
Have you tried consistently drinking lots of water and using lotion? Sounds like dry skin! Well I hope it's not allergies! They stink!
Nat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2001, 07:33 AM   #3

BEACHBOUND8 HB User
I would check with a chiropracttor you could have a pinched nerve in your neck.Just a thought.

Old 12-29-2001, 03:18 PM   #4

lm9587 HB User
I also have itchy arms that are really a problem. I have no idea what causes it, but it has been flaring up several times a day, and also keeps me up at night. There is no rash or other visible signs. I have heard of two other people with this problem but no one seems to know the cause, or the cure. Any suggestions>

Old 12-30-2001, 04:49 AM   #5
Carreen

A few things can cause you to itch with no visible rash:

Hepatitus C-Almost 2% of the population of the United States is infected with Hepatitis C. Not everyone who carries the virus is sick.

Anxiety- Sometimes itching and scrathing become an anxiety and stress release

Nerve problems- As someone else mentioned, you could have a slight pinch or pressure point on a nerve.

Lymphoma/Hodgkins disease-Lymphomas are tumors arising within or made up of cells from the lymphatic system. Both types of lymphoma are usually discovered by noticing enlargment of some lymph nodes. Symptoms are usually not present, although a minority of people with these conditions will have unexplained fever, weight loss, or severe unexplained itching.

Old 12-30-2001, 07:11 PM   #6
Inactive

plymouth HB User
Arrow

Sometimes in the winter we start taking longer baths or showers. The hot water alone can dry the skin and make it really itchy.

Old 01-04-2002, 01:29 PM   #7

reeny HB User
Lotions, perfume/colognes and laundry detergent can cause mild to severe allergic reactions.

Old 08-26-2006, 08:58 PM   #8
(female)

pamelanovak HB User
Question Re: Itchy arms But no rash!!!!!!

Your post was so long ago, I don't know if your still out there. I have been having the itchy upper arms for years, and it is driving me crazy now. In my quest for answers, I found your posting. It can come on several times a day, and then begone for months, or years. I first had it with my first pregnacy, and my doctor said it happens and would go away after I had the baby. And it did, for many years. I can only attribute it to hormone changes. Only ice can relieve it. I never use soap on my arms. Lotions aggrevate it. If any one knows anymore, I welcome help.

Old 08-28-2006, 05:20 AM   #9
(female)

debro HB User
Re: Itchy arms But no rash!!!!!!

I wish I had the answer to this riddle - I've been having the same problem and then occasionally it started affecting my hands, neck, ankles, side of my knees. No rash or bumps. I went to a GP who said stress related and gave me a prescription for Lexapro. That hasn't helped. Later I went to a dermatologist. He said allergies and prescribed Allegra and urged me to go to an allergist. I haven't gone to the allergist yet. My pharmacist said that any allergy medication would do, that Clarinex (which I already had on hand) would do just as well as Allegra. I haven't gotten relief from allergy medication either. Looks like if it were an allergy, the allergy meds would help and that would be a clue that I really did need to see an allergist. You know you hate to keep spending money on docs when all seem to be wrong. I haven't got any other symptoms of Hodgkins/Lymphoma, such as weight loss, night sweats, fever.

Old 08-29-2006, 05:28 PM   #10
(female)

angel25 HB User

I get itchy too - but no rash, no dry skin and I drink plenty of water.

The main itch is in my ear. I only feel it when my head is turned a certain way - usually when I lay on my stomach and sleep with my head to the left. But sometimes it's a constant itch

Sometimes I have an itch on the tip of nose or cheek. Usually both areas happen around the same time within a few days. It feels like a hair is tickeling my nose - but there is no hair. It usually lasts for a few hours.

The other itch is my lower leg/chins - usually when I first sit down or when lay down at night. It drives me crazy and it's difficult to lay down at night.

The ear bothers me most often. One doctor said it was a tiny hair in my ear. My chiropractor didn't say much, said my ears looked clean. Another doctor said I had swimmers ear - but I don't swim and just take quick showers in the morning.

My last visit to the doctor was when my ear and chins had been itching for several days. I changed shower gel, shampoo, razor, lotion - everything and nothing helped. Itch creams didn't help. She gave me prednizone and allegra - she wans't sure if it was allergies and mentioned it could be an auto immune problem. After taking the medications, the itch went away and my legs haven't itched since. But my ear has - not as much as before. I called my doctor and she said it's probably allergies and told me to keep taking Allergra.

But if it is allergies, shouldn't Allegra help my seasonal allergies? The last few days I've had to pry my swollen eyes open each morning and they are blood shot and irritated. Plus sneezing and runny nose....Clariton doesn't seem to help either.

My friend has an itch problem too, but she was just diganosed with MS.

I know when I'm not getting enough water - my lips feel dry. I usually drink 2 liters of water a day.

I changed to allergenic soaps, lotions, etc.

If it was an allergy, shouldn't there be a rash or some sort of irritation other than my finger nail tracks?

So who knows? Allergies, auto immune, not enough water, detergents, soaps??

Old 11-24-2007, 09:23 AM   #11
(female)

llgrimes1 HB User

It's good to know I'm not the only one going through all these same symptoms....I thought I was loosing my mind.I have the same skin irritation on both my arms (from shoulders, to elbows). There are no real visible signs such as bumps, or rashes. The annoying occurance is unpredictable and can affect my right arm for a period of time then go away for months and then the other arm may be affected the next time,or both. As I see with others, symptoms usually occur at night . At times I get no sleep. The most nerve wrecking sympton is when it feels like someone is just poking me continually in just one spot with a pin. The only relief comes from icing it down, to the point my arms are completely numb. I rely on having frozen water bottles next to both arms at night when I'm in bed. It's so annoying,irritating, and nerve wretching to the point it consumes all my energy and makes me feel like a freak! I don't want to seek a doctor until I find someone that knows something about this. What is the cause...nerve damage, stress??I'm sure all of you have answered the same questions when it comes to causes... lotions, detergents, hot baths. I am convinced it is something much deeper. Good luck to all of us that suffer this.

Last edited by llgrimes1; 11-24-2007 at 09:30 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to llgrimes1:
clip (08-28-2011)
Old 11-30-2007, 05:52 AM   #12
(male)

Washer HB User

Ditto as the others had mentioned. This is not a gender problem, although it seems mostly women are posting on this. I am a male and had this symptom since early summer. i went to a dermetologist who he himself said he doesn't know. At first he said it maybe a slight case of excema...later denied. He gave me Cordran lotion which has partially controlled the itching on my forearms...but not 100%. Its my back that I have to buy a back scratcher and use usually 2x a day..upon rising and going to bed. During the day mostly under control. He wants to start light treatments for 40 times. how can he treat something if he doesn't know the cause? so far I've refused the light treatment until at least find the cause. Now I read it could be a thyroid problem, among other things. True most here say that there is no rash, but if one looks close enough, you could see a small pimple like substance...and if u don't see it, just rub your hand over the itchy area and u would feel something. At first, I had the feeling like a insect was beneath my skin and trying to get out by biting through me...most of that is gone now, thanks to the lotion Cordran. Who knows

Last edited by Washer; 11-30-2007 at 05:54 AM.

Old 12-25-2007, 05:50 AM   #13
(female)

msonique HB User

Both myself, aged 50, and my mum, aged 77, both suffer with this nightmare of itchy arms, mainly from the elbow up to the shoulder and it drives me insane. Last night it wakened me at 04.00am and kept me up until 05.30am despite getting up twice to run my arm under the cold tap until it was numb but as soon as I started to get warm in bed, it started again despite putting a cold wet cloth on my arm. It starts with feeling like an insect under your skin and you try not to scratch cos u know it will make it worse but in the end u have to which only makes it worse. I have felt like getting a knife and cutting my arm off, it is so frustrating and then it makes you moany the following day cos u are tired. If anyone out there knows why this happens or of anything that makes it slightly better, please leave a note. One other thing, this tends to happen only in the autumn/winter, never in the spring or summer.

Old 12-26-2007, 12:06 PM   #14
(male)

Washer HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by msonique View Post
Both myself, aged 50, and my mum, aged 77, both suffer with this nightmare of itchy arms, mainly from the elbow up to the shoulder and it drives me insane. Last night it wakened me at 04.00am and kept me up until 05.30am despite getting up twice to run my arm under the cold tap until it was numb but as soon as I started to get warm in bed, it started again despite putting a cold wet cloth on my arm. It starts with feeling like an insect under your skin and you try not to scratch cos u know it will make it worse but in the end u have to which only makes it worse. I have felt like getting a knife and cutting my arm off, it is so frustrating and then it makes you moany the following day cos u are tired. If anyone out there knows why this happens or of anything that makes it slightly better, please leave a note. One other thing, this tends to happen only in the autumn/winter, never in the spring or summer.

Well if it only seems to affect you autumn/winter than its probably dry skin.
Moisturize your sking with nozema, the generic kind...because the brand does not contain a certain ingredient that the generic has and is more beneficial to your problem. My problem started late spring into summer into fall and into now winter.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:52 PM   #15
(male)

schuey1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washer View Post
Well if it only seems to affect you autumn/winter than its probably dry skin.
Moisturize your sking with nozema, the generic kind...because the brand does not contain a certain ingredient that the generic has and is more beneficial to your problem. My problem started late spring into summer into fall and into now winter.

Closed Thread