It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2001, 09:21 AM   #1

seattle31 HB User
Post foggy/cloudy head

Has anyone experienced a sort of foggy/cloudy feeling in their head due to allergies? It's not dizziness, and it's focused more or less between my eyes and forehead. My doctors say it's allergies, but none of the allergie medications I've been taking seem to help at all. Even the nasal sprays don't clear up my blocked passages. I also had a sinus CT done and they said it's pretty clear. I just know my imagination gets the best of me and I'm thinking it's something worse, especially since the medications don't seem to be working. I just want to know if anyone else is experiencing the same things? And where do I go from here?

Old 11-29-2001, 12:44 PM   #2
(male)

ny01 HB User
I'm right there with you! I have had the exact same symptoms for the last 4 months. It is pure hell! You feel like you are slightly drugged. I have been to an ENT, neurologist and GP to no avail. I have tried all the medications for allergies, including Chlor-trimeton which one guy here touts. But nothing has helped. If you get any relief, please let me know. I am so frustrated by this foggy drowsiness.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2001, 04:05 PM   #3
(male)

grillo7 HB User
I've had the exact same sensations...so far, I think my doctor thinks I'm a nutcase, but I know something is going on. Do you also have nasal congestion, or do you feel more fatigued than usual? Check out the Inner Ear Disorders board here...A LOT of people there are experiencing this, whatever it is.

Old 11-30-2001, 07:30 AM   #4

kristopher HB User
Unhappy

i love you guys...i guess i'm not alone here. Seattle and the rest of you, i also have been in this boat for a while. I feel totally disconnected and i feel like this foggy feeling is leading to depression. I think it would take superman to counteract the depression right now. I know that my ears are always full and this could be the reason for my foggy head. Do any of you have full ears? I'm currently trying to find something natural b/c i'm sure my prostate is hating me for all the decongestants that ive been surviving on. I hope you guys can escape the madness...kris

Old 11-30-2001, 08:59 AM   #5

seattle31 HB User
Well I went to the ears, nose, throat doctor yesterday and he pretty much said that I'm completely blocked up in my nasal area so he gave me a steroid called Methylprednisolone. He said it takes awhile to take affect so we will see. What is strange about this whole thing is my nasal passages have been blocked up all summer, but it wasn't until the day I picked up my new car that all of a sudden I felt like I was getting a cold, but it never progressed into a cold. Why did it hit so suddenly? My back and joints have been achy at times too, like I have a bit of the flu, but it really hasn't incapacitated me in any way, it's more of an annoyance. It could be completely unrelated, but who knows. My ears don't feel "full" but they have been popping. So has anyone else felt flu-like?

Old 11-30-2001, 09:14 AM   #6

kristopher HB User
hey seattle...acheyness definitely goes hand and hand with sinus trouble. I don't know why when sinus cavities get full, acheness can be a symptom. For the past 2 days i thought that i was getting the flu. Keep me informed on how the shot works for you.

Old 11-30-2001, 09:18 AM   #7

seattle31 HB User
It's actually not a shot. It's an oral steroid. He wants me to keep using rinocort (sp) too. I don't know about you, but the thought of all this stuff that's going in my body...I just hate it. Sometimes the side effects are worse than they symptoms, ya know?

Old 11-30-2001, 03:42 PM   #8
(male)

ny01 HB User
Let us know how it goes? I believe you can only take Prednisone for a short period as it has nasty long term side effects. Good luck Seattle and keep us updated. I went to my ENT today and he is convinced it is either an allergy or acid reflux (as my throat also seems to be a bit red). He put me on more acid reducers and I will get an allergy skin test done in 1 week as well as an MRI of my cervical neck. Also Kristopher watch out on the decongestants, because I was on them daily for 3 months and my prostate did get swollen for a month as a result. This is all so frustrating, but maybe one of us will find the cure and will help all the rest. Have a good weekend everyone!!

Old 11-30-2001, 11:19 PM   #9
(male)

grillo7 HB User
Hey Kris...I've got the full ears too, that's one of the main things. Does it ever feel full in your head too? There's a ton of other symptoms that seem to go along with this...it's really driving me crazy because I can't figure out what causes it, and it never goes completely away...I know exactly what you mean about the depression because it makes me feel like I'm watching life go by or something...

The following user gives a hug of support to grillo7:
Hanan81 (11-17-2010)
Old 12-02-2001, 12:09 PM   #10

kristopher HB User
Hey grillo...do the full ears give you kind of a spacey, disoriented feeling? I also feel like i suffer from a lack of concentration during conversations. I'm currently trying different things like: Prescription decongestants, capsicum capsules, a natural product called "clear ear", and zicam. I have some good and bad days; however, most of them bad. Let's keep on plugging and keep me informed.

kris

Old 12-04-2001, 02:06 AM   #11
(male)

grillo7 HB User
Hey Kris...again, exactly the same. What did your doctor say? Mine prescribed a steroid nasal spray to see how that worked (did nothing) and followed up with blood work which showed nothing. So...I'm scheduled for more testing in January, checking out my sinuses and inner ear...What are all your symptoms? I have the following with this:
Disconnected/Spacey/High/Depersonalised Feeling
Pressure and Fullness in Head
Pressure and Fullness in Ears
Occasional Headache
Occasional Earaches
Lightheadedness and Dizziness
Weakness During and After Activity/Exercise
Nasal Congestion
Sore Neck
Cracking or Popping Noises in Neck
Memory Loss
Fatigue
Can't Find the Right Words in Conversation or follow conversation well
Can't focus my eyes on one thing only
One Pupil Larger than the Other in Dim Light
Occasional Ringing in Ears
Decreased Sensation/Numbness in Parts of Body
Troubled Sleep

The symptoms seem to cycle, some are better or gone one day, and then return worse than ever the next. It's unpredictable. One connection I've noticed is that exercise seems to make all the symptoms worse.

Old 12-04-2001, 07:30 PM   #12

kristopher HB User
Hey Grillo 7, I get most of those symptoms as well. The only one that i probably don't get is trouble sleeping. Usually by the end of the day, aside from my full time school and work schedule, my sinus problem has me worn completely out. I definitely get the pupil thing. One symptom that really scares me is difficulty concentrating...especially during conversation; i tend to blank out a lot. Normally, i'm considered a pretty good listener. Also, lately i've been having some unusual discomfort in my sinuses...i wonder if this could be nasal polyps. Like you, i need to get x-rays done and have my inner ear checked out.
Do you ever space out or find yourself having a hard time concentrating when socializing? Do you find yourself trying to avoid social situations more often than you used to? I have not had any luck with the nasal sprays either. Maybe i'm expecting too much from them. I do have some luck with the over the counter, nasalcrom. This combined with prescription decongestants work for me pretty well. However, i can't seem to break away from the crazy, depersonalized symptoms that we have. Please respond back and I look foward to hearing from you.

kris

Old 12-06-2001, 09:36 AM   #13

seattle31 HB User
Update: I stopped taking the oral steroids because they didn't do anything. My ears, nose and throat doctor told me to continue taking it by why? I want to get to the heart of the problem, not mask the symptoms. Anyway, I didn't mention that I live in a basement apartment. I've had water on the inside of my window. I use a towel to soak up the water. Also, there is no window in my bathroom, and yes, I have seen mold in my apt. Well I'm moving Saturday to a new apt. I hope to God this takes care of the problem. I'm also going overseas in a couple of weeks so if my symptoms clear up it's obvious my apt is making me sick. Now I'm starting to feel muscle weakeness and joint pain as well. Anyone experience that??? I'm still terrified this isn't allergies, but what else could it be?

Old 12-06-2001, 04:53 PM   #14
(male)

ny01 HB User
Thanks for the update! Do any of you people with my similar foggy head feelings, have irritated eyes and or throat? My throat is always red and my eyes lately are just burning from either allergy or fatigue. Not sure. Good luck all, if you ever feel better always try to keep everyone up-to-date on any possible remedies. Cheers!!

Old 12-06-2001, 07:17 PM   #15

kristopher HB User
hey everyone, back to let you know that i sympathize with all of you. Grillo, on the fatigue factor...believe me, i know exactly what u mean. I have been waking for the past five months feeling groggy and like i just did'nt even fall asleep. Also, i feel completely lethargic throughout the day. My doctor said that the pupil thing was normal and probably related to allergies.
Like Seattle and you others, i have really been experiencing the acheness and yes, it is scary. It brings on a fear like there has to be something detrimentally wrong. I'm pretty sure we're all suffering from sinus problems which can bring on a variety of crazy symptoms. It's kind of weird because my body will be feeling fine and all of a sudden i'll have body aches. There probably not as severe as flu like body aches but they are very uncomfortable.
Ny01...i'm having some of the eye symptoms too. It seems that sometimes focusing is tough and they are always tired.
I have a question for you guys: Is it just me or are some of your companions starting to think you are all hypochondriacs? I believe my girlfriend is starting to believe that i'm a real basket case.
Oh, Seattle...that mold could be a part of your problem or all of your problem. Hopefully moving out will be your solution. Have you had any allergy/sinus trouble before?
Anyway, i hope the best for all of us. Would'nt it be nice if we could receive the gift of healing this Christmas?

kris

Closed Thread