It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2001, 07:17 PM   #1

MariahM HB User
Question Bumps on my throat

Hello,

For the last four weeks I have had irritating bumps on the back of my throat and on the back of my tongue. Both doctors I saw treated it as a sinus infection and blamed allergies for it. But I have never had bumps like this before with allergies. I have had troubles with sneezing and nasal congestion when I have not taken my medicine. But has anyone experienced this sort of throat irritation before. I'm concerned that it might be something else and being misdiagnosed. The bumps are not too big. Some have been there the whole time, some have gone away and others are new. When I was in the hospital for another condition recently, they seemed to improve a bit until a few days after coming home. I'm just rather perplexed. I'm going to try and see a doctor early this week. But has anyone had this before?

Thanks for your help,

Mariah

Old 06-11-2001, 10:35 PM   #2
Inactive

BEARALLNTX HB User
Could be an allergy to something your eating,
or from one of your medications your taking.
Not all allergies come in the form of Respiratory problems, many allergies come in the form of hives, most the time the break
out is on the lower forearms. But sometimes it's at the point of contact.

My get the bumps with acid foods and somes with sugar.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2001, 12:43 PM   #3

cleopatra HB User
Hey, I get those bumps periodically as well. If I press on them they are painful as well. Don't know what they are either....I never asked the doctor. I also get lots of tiny itchy bumps sometimes too..

Old 08-14-2001, 03:18 PM   #4

lawrencet1 HB User
I am also prone to this type of infection. Usually it's not severe enough to require a lot of antibiotics...but it is annoying and painful. I would make sure the doctor who said it's allergies has you on some sort of prescription antihistimine. I've had the best luck with Zyrtec. That usually doesn't stop all the dripping...so I highly recommend using a nasal spray like rhinocort (also a prescription) and 12-hour Sudafed.

Old 09-20-2001, 08:03 AM   #5

DianeMarie73 HB User
I have those bumps usually when I have post nasal drip. I have severe allergies both food and airborne.

Old 09-23-2001, 07:30 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

CINDERELLA HB User
Diane Marie, can you tell me what the symptoms of post nasal drip is, what causes it and what cures it? I have posted on this topic myself today. Id appreciate any help. Thanks

Old 09-24-2001, 03:34 PM   #7

DianeMarie73 HB User
post-nasal drip is mucus that drips down your throat. Most of the time I also get sinus problems and scratchy throat.

Old 09-24-2001, 03:36 PM   #8

DianeMarie73 HB User
post-nasal drip is mucus that drips down your throat. Most of the time I also get sinus problems and scratchy throat.

Old 05-16-2002, 06:51 PM   #9

Eagles1974 HB User
Question

If the bumps irritate you, they may be the same thing me & my daughter have....I bite mine...to the point of bleeding sometimes. They are mostly white in color, though, and are in clusters. But some are red. I was told (by a doctor years ago) that it was probably an allergy. I would have to say it sounds 'bout right because it comes n goes. I am hoping to find more info on the web on how to treat them, cause I haven't found anything yet accept the Zyrtec idea....I will recommend that to my new doc. I was told to gargle with benadryl elixir before...it helps, but very temporary. My daughter (2) tries to lick the couch, and scratches her tounge, so I knew it was the same thing. GOOD LUCK!

------------------
Melissa

Old 06-12-2002, 01:21 PM   #10

sarasally1 HB User
Hi, Mariah!
I usually get those bumps with post nasal drip when my sinuses are bad. I think it is just when I have a sinus infection, though. That infected sinus drainage can wreak havoc on your throat -- especially for me because I'm a classical singer. I get those bumps, swollen vocal folds ("voice box"), other swollen glands. It is carrying infection, after all, and even if it isn't infected it is an irritant and cause swelling from making you cough if nothing else.

Have you ever noticed if your voice sounds crackly, hoarse, thick, lower, forced, tinny, or softer? That's how my voice gets from post nasal drip.

If it is post nasal drip that's causing your trouble, here's what helps me:

Sudafed NON-DRYING Sinus -- or a generic brand from the store, humibid (prescription), guaifenisen (generic prescription), or guaifenisen any way you can get it. It thins mucus so any infection in the sinuses can heal, plus it just gets the crud out. Make sure you drink at least 8-10 glasses of water or juice (and if you drink coffee or other caffeinated drinks or alcholic drinks you need to drink 1 glass of water to make up for their drying effect plus another glass if you want it to count as one of your 8).

A nasal wash -- my asthma doctor gave me a special nasal irrigation contraption that I use for mine, but you can find directions on the web somewhere for how to make your own solution (I use 1/2 teaspoon of water and 1 cup of warm water) and how to perform the wash (a lot of people use one of those ear suctioning things). This really helps clear the mucus out of the sinuses and then helps them to heal from their irritation (when they're irritated they just make more and more mucus -- and thicker -- in an attempt to flush the irritant out.

Let us know if any of these suggestions works -- and if you found anything else that helps!

Closed Thread