Me too. I hate copiers and big printers, too. Any kind of ink that rubs off on your hands in that fine black powder. It also makes the air feel dry so I just LOVE dry days in my office! Same thing with incense. Hate it hate it. When I smell it, I get the sensation that I'm inhaling that dust that's at the bottom of incense packages.
When I was in high school I had a project that required going through many, many newspapers, cutting and pasting. I ended up with the worst case of bronchitis, stemming from the initial allergic (sneezing, coughing) reaction.
Have you considered a latex allergy? My mom is severely allergic to latex. Among the offending items are balloons, latex gloves, bananas, avacados, hazelnuts, carpet, latex paint, and NEWSPAPER INK. Newspaper ink is made from latex. Ever noticed how it has that old tire smell? Latex allergy is the same as peanut allergy, in that it is believed to be caused by overexposure. My mother developed her allergy because she was a clinical nurse. The allergist will test if you are allergic to a rubber tree to determine if you have a latex allergy.
I have a latex ( natural rubber ) allergy, and I have read articles about newspapers being a source of latex reactions because they were (previous to advances in technology) printed on rubber rollers, and some inks may contain rubber as well. You should really see an allergist and be tested.
I am highly allergic to newspapers. My fingers swell between the nail and nail bed. I can't even wear nail polish. The first time I had a reaction was putting on fake nails. I spent a year at the dermatologist trying to get my nails back in shape. Still having problems after 15 years.
Spent a good part of my life in the newspaper business. You are more likely to be allergic to the acidic alcohol base fountain solution used in the press. This prevents the ink from adhering to the aluminum part of the printing plate. It is easily absorbed by the porous newpaper. Many presses have driers which evaporate this from the paper, but with the fuel costs, most are just getting by with the lowest temperatures possible. I have many chemmical sensativities and keep the papers at arms length when reading them, then dispose of them and DO NOT let old newspapers accumulate in my home
I've been allergic to newspaper and phone books my entire life.The phone books have
been worse,yet both are horrible.This is real but some people thought I was being too
touchy.The fine particles in both the phone book and newspaper fly about.Drywall seems
to trap the smell more.The ink is too strong.Also other paper has caused problems.
I have to wash and wash my hair,and toss the infected clothing in the back bedroom! I hate it when you have
to go to the doctors office or some resturant and there's a whole stack of them.
I read online to avoid newspaper and phone books.Very stuffy too.I have to wash my face really well before
Last edited by lavender2009; 08-21-2008 at 06:15 AM.
Reason: had more to say.
How does the allergic reaction present itself? When ever I read any glossy magazine my eyes get red and nose starts running. If theres alot of freshly printed paper in the room i can feel it in my throat...scratchy like. Doe this sound familiar? I wondering if it gets worse over time and I need to do something about it.