It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2002, 09:17 AM   #1

Catrinka55 HB User
Unhappy Allergy to the herb plant rosemary?

Hi everyone,
I'm new to this forum, but had a question about the herb, Rosemary. I am allegic to mold spores (mainly in Summer), all grasses, pollen from oak, maple, etc., but thankfully am not allergic to dust mites, dogs, cats, etc. as I've had allergy tests done.

I wondered if it's possible to be allergic the herb plant Rosemary? We have a number of houseplants in our enclosed front porch, cactus, snake plant, etc., and I am not allergic to these. About three or four days ago, my husband brought home a beautiful and aromatic Rosemary plant in a pot. We watered it and placed it next to our other plants. The day after, my hands, forearms, parts of my face, etc. began itching something terrible to the point of scratching the parts until they are bleeding. I'm now having mild depression (I have had MAJOR depression since age 23 and have been on medication every since then and am now 55, mild anxiety, chills, but no fever, and feelings of being unwell. Could I possibly be allergic to the Rosemary?? It seems odd, but I did handle it while removing the foil wrap around the pot and placing it in a saucer. It SMELLS so good and scents the whole house. Has anyone out there had experience with this plant, and been allergic, or could it just be the dry winter air with which I'm having problems? Any help would be appreciated.

Sincerely,

Cat

------------------
CAT

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-26-2002, 04:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Lindarella HB User
Sure it's possible that you're allergic to rosemary. Another possibility may be mold spores in the specific dirt or pot that the plant came in. When you smell the plant, these would also be inhaled. It could also be something totally unrelated and just a coincidence.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-26-2002, 07:17 PM   #3

Catrinka55 HB User
Thank you so much, Lindarella. My hubby is going to take poor Rosemary down to the building and put it in his workshop as the itching became so bad later today
that I had to take Benadryl. Has anyone ever had itching so bad that it feels like it's coming from the INSIDE out and the EVERY organ in the body as well as the outside itches? That's how I became earlier, and my hubby got me a Benadryl FAST! That helped in about 15 minutes. So, we'll remove the rosemary plant and just see what happens. Thanks so much for replying.

Cat

Closed Thread