It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2003, 05:30 PM   #1

marydonna HB User
Question Allergic reaction to chemicals, solvents, cleaning supplies, etc.

Hi! I have been experiencing horrible reactions from any solvent (caulking, drywall compound, paint, cleaning supplies, etc.)for over a year. Went to an allergest who said to take Claritin. Didn't help. My lips swell, my tongue swells, a cough begins, my throat gets sore. HELP. Does anyone out there know what I can do? Is there any medication that might help me? I have to clean my bathroom and I to pump gas for the car, etc. I am not able to function fully in today's world with this problem. Please, anyone.....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2003, 10:20 AM   #2
(male)

ny01 HB User
I have the same lousy syndrome that seems to be wrecking my life for the past year. I have not found anything that has helped me, but if you search through some of these forum archives you will find some that did get help with various treatments such as Sauna or diets. If you find anything that helps you, please let me know. I wish you the best.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2003, 03:30 PM   #3
(female)

Penguin HB User
Perhaps you could try some antihistamine therapy. I don't mean taking a tablet a day but staying of them for a month or lomger until your immune system relaxes. I was on 2 x hismanal for 12 months (this has been taken from the market now) as I had the same reactions as you. My worst reactions were car fumes and windex. I am still not 100% but my tolerance has increased. My sensitivities were activated when I had been on long term cortisone treatment for chronic asthma.

Old 02-10-2003, 04:30 PM   #4
(male)

ny01 HB User
Penguin,

So I understand you correctly, are you saying that staying on an antihistamine for a long period of time possibly allows your body to be less reactive to chemical scents?

Old 02-10-2003, 05:31 PM   #5

marydonna HB User
Penquin, thanks so much for your feeback. I am in misery, to say the least. What antihistamine do you recommend? I am very allergic to many meds too. Many medications start my heart into tachycardia,so I would need something mild. In your experience, what have you taken over the counter that may help me and NY, our other sufferer from allergy syndrome?

My husband just had his van rustproofed because of this horrible snow and the salt they put on the roads to combat it and now I can ride in the van. It has been a month and still the fumes or whatever affect me.Also, he used some caulking compound and painted our bedroom about six months ago and now I can't sleep in it. We had to get new carpet in a bedroom and I can't go in there either. HElP. I tell the doctors and they just sort of shrug. I really didn't think there were any other people out there with this problem. What a great support you are!

Old 02-10-2003, 05:34 PM   #6

marydonna HB User
ny101 -- Are you saying saunas might help this problem? Have you tried this? Are sugar free diets also an aid to this syndrome? What antihistamine do you use?

Old 02-10-2003, 06:05 PM   #7
(female)

Penguin HB User
Hi,
Well I've had this chemical sensitivity thing for about 12 years since I got a bout of the worst flu in my life and then asthma. I went to a repriologist who ran a whole lot of blood tests and lung function tests.
I was on a lot of cortisone for my asthma and reactions. I was so low I lost weight as well as reacting to foods and smells, perfumes, couldn't even have perfume on my skin without it welting.
The Dr told me that he could not cure my asthma but he suggested that long term antihistamines would support my immune system. In the end the body just reacts to everything, even itself. I am not saying I'm cured but I am a lot better for being on antihistimes. There is more than one chemical involved in allergies and sensitivities. There are basophils, neutrophils, eosinophils, leukotrines and of course histamine,chymase, and heparin just to name a few. These cells and chemicals are the bodies defence system, if you have an allergic reaction these chemicals go to war - defending us.. If any of these are elevated you will have problems. Don't just take antihistamine for one day, you need to get the right serum level in your blood for it to work. Claritin - there has been a lot of controversy with this drug. It only works in 50% of people and does not work on me. I would go for allegra (Telfast), and maybe zantac (ranitidine). This would settle things down. The allegra will work on H1 (skin, lungs) and the zantac will work on the stomach H2 (acid). For the paint smells in your room put a cut onion in the room for a couple of days this will eradicate the smell.
Even though I am not reacting to as many things these days I still have the chronic urticaria. Despite all my efforts and finding a cure my immune system is damaged, my immunologist tells me that my cells are imprinted. I have been studying the immune system for years now. I cope with my illness, I have good Drs who bend over backwards for me. I also have a couple of friends who are pharmacists who tell me about new products to try. I will never give up looking for answers. I hope I have given you some ideas to think about. If I can help you in any way please ask.

Closed Thread