It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2003, 04:03 PM   #1
(male)

apple HB User
Angry Air-duct allergens are killing me!

Is there any relief for sinus/nasal allergies that have indoor air ducts as the source? Year round, I can't breathe without sneezing anytime I get around indoor air ducts/vents. I get a runny nose, too. Over the counter products offer me relief from air-borne allergens that are found in pollens and the like. I can go outdoors and sneeze little when I use them. But indoors it is a different story for me. I can't find anything that combats indoor allergens. And so I don't sleep well at nights; the allergens always find me, regardless of how well I clean and block air registers. Help! I'm desperate. I want to get some sleep.

Old 11-16-2003, 05:01 PM   #2
(male)

lhacker HB User
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple
Is there any relief for sinus/nasal allergies that have indoor air ducts as the source? Year round, I can't breathe without sneezing anytime I get around indoor air ducts/vents. I get a runny nose, too. Over the counter products offer me relief from air-borne allergens that are found in pollens and the like. I can go outdoors and sneeze little when I use them. But indoors it is a different story for me. I can't find anything that combats indoor allergens. And so I don't sleep well at nights; the allergens always find me, regardless of how well I clean and block air registers. Help! I'm desperate. I want to get some sleep.
Chemical sensativities maybe? My wife was using SNUGGLES fabric softener sheets in the clothes dryer with the linnens and I was having a terrible time sleeping. When she stopped using them my night time congestion stopped. . Could be something in the detergent, too!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2003, 09:24 AM   #3

1Ageless HB User
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple

You could get your air ducts professionally cleaned and then use the highest effectiveness allergen filter on your furnace, or try an indoor ionizer. I switched to allergen-blocking furnace filters and this dramatically cut down dust in the air and the filters are catching more "stuff" than the non-allergen furnace filters. Indoor allergens can be worse than outdoor allergens.

Old 11-18-2003, 02:47 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Divermon HB User
Pardon me for adding, because I'm not that knowledgable, but the more responses the merrier, right?

First, MAN, I really feel for you, because I'm going through something maybe similar right now, and sleep would be soooo nice, if only I could.

I would think you are either:
1. Allergic to some specific allergen in in the ducts. In which case, like Ageless susggest, you can have the ducts cleaned, and then use the best filters you can get, to both keep them clean, and cut down on the airbornes.

2. Allergic to something airborne, that is not in the ducts, but is getting kicked up, like dust, for example.

3. Have chemical sensativities, like Hacker speaks of.

4. Have Vasomotor Rhinitis.

I am currently having one hell of a time ever since I turned on the heat. But this is only in the apartment I keep, near one of my offices. In my house, I have no problem. Odd thing is, the furnace in the apartment uses the same ductwork as the air conditioning, with which I have no problem. But when the furnace blows out the air, I can almost feel something in the air, with every breath (can you relate?).

None of that makes any sence to me. But I have been told by a Doc or two, that I have, or may have, something called Vasomotor Rhinitis. This is where you are not allergic to anything, but have allergic-like reactions to things like chemical smells, humidity, changes in the weather, etc.

I have taken every allergy med known to man, just as an experiment by the Docs, to see if they help. If they do, then that suggests that I may actually be allergic to something. Nothing alleviated any symptoms.

I am now trying a nasal spray called Astelin. It is specifically for non-allergic rhinitis. I think.... maybe..... it might be helping, just a little, not sure.

Also there is a gentleman on this board, who absolutely swares by sinus irrigation..... says, for him, it turns the problem off like a switch.
([URL=http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=13280]Click here[/URL] if you care to read that thread.)

Ok, all just bable, and maybe long shots. I sure hope you find something that helps..... and soon!!!

Last edited by Divermon; 11-18-2003 at 02:51 PM.

Old 11-19-2003, 06:38 AM   #5

1Ageless HB User
Divermom speaks of other indoor allergies, other than air ducts, which are numerous. I was awaking in the morning with stuffy head, sinus symptoms, headache. I had a new goose down feather bed on my mattress, and it was sent to the guest bedroom. I changed all of my pillows since they were also goose down, and their quills stuck through the pillow ~ two reasons to rid myself of those. Dust mites are everywhere in your home, and corner "fuzz bunnies" can stir up. Hey, Apple, do you have a humidifier added to your furnace? That helped me tremendously just getting more humidity in the house during the dry winter months. Just before I typed this post, to my right of the screen just hapened to a an allergy website that sold allergen-free bedding/linens, home ionizers and air purifiers, and other allergy reducing products. Maybe it will show up again there and you can check it out. I also purchased sonic pest control system that kills spiders, eggs, mites, etc. I have several in each room. I originally purchased, because I had purchased wheat flour that contained Indian moth larvae and tiny moths were flying through my home. They were gone within a couple of weeks, but then it seems the offspring hatched, and the sonic treatment took care of those critters also. These are available in sets of five or six at major "box stores" and they seem to have done the trick. No more little Indian moth babies, I've seen no bugs, spiders, but those pesky dust mites can be hiding anywhere. I used antibacterial Lysol all over my mattress to kill whatever might be lurking in there, as most of my problems, I awoke to. I suspected my bedroom as the major source, and I took care of ridding myself of anything possible I could think of that was causing airbourne allergies. I can walk into a fabric store, and immediately nauseated and headache from chemical smell. Maybe we all need surgical masks to sleep in????
Good luck to all with allergies ~

Old 11-19-2003, 06:01 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Divermon HB User
I might try having my ducts cleaned, as nothing else is working up to this point.

I found an interesting site on Dust Mite Research. Of course, I can't post any links here, but here are some of the management suggestions:
"1. Encasings
Physically encasing bedding and pillows are effective and commonly recommended. Impermeable rubber or vinyl plastic and vapour-permeable material which "breathe" are commonly used.

2. Washing
a. hot water washing
Washing at 60 degrees C or higher is effective. Hot water (130 degrees C) has been shown to kill all mites.

b. cold water washing
Cold water washing removes about 90% of the mites

3. Dry cleaning
Dry cleaning kills all mites. It is also very effective at physically removing dust from items such as bedding.

4. Heating
Heat may be applied in different ways:

as superheated steam to treat carpets
tumble-drying washing
direct sunlight exposure
autoclaving
dry heating with electric blankets "

Old 11-23-2003, 08:03 PM   #7
(male)

apple HB User
Re: Air-duct allergens are killing me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhacker
Chemical sensativities maybe? My wife was using SNUGGLES fabric softener sheets in the clothes dryer with the linnens and I was having a terrible time sleeping. When she stopped using them my night time congestion stopped. . Could be something in the detergent, too!
I never considered that as a possibility. I will stop using softeners and see what happens. Still, I sneeze the most in my computer room, and it has no linens, just dust, I assume. Also, when I wake up in the morning the area around my eyes are swollen. Did that happen to you before you stopped the SNUGGLES regime?

Closed Thread