It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2003, 12:46 AM   #1

darkman HB User
Pain/Pressure around and under my eyes. Why me?!?

Hello everybody,

Well here it goes, I'm a 31-year-old male and for the past couple of years I have been suffering from the following symptoms:

1. Constant pain and pressure around and under my eyes (cheeks)
2. Dark circles under and around my eyes! (Eyelids are dark too)
3. Eyes are always puffy and swollen (around eyes, eye lids and under eyes)

I do not understand why me?!?!? I have never really had any health problems in the past. Not even seasonal allergies. But 2 years ago, all of a sudden I started to have these problems and havenít been able to get rid of them. When they first started I went to the doctor and he told me that I had a sinus infection. He treated me with Augmenting and some decongestants. It did help a little but didn't get rid of my symptoms. I decided to see an allergy doctor and received an allergy test. Test revealed that I'm allergic to pet danger, mold, pollen, dust mite and other stuff. But, I don't have the typically sneezing, running nose, itchy eye, etc that normally people have. I only have the above symptoms! My allergy doctor suggested I see a neurologist . But as I told her, I don't really have bad headaches. I still when to check one out but he couldn't help either. So for the past 2 years I have been so depressed, not knowing where to turn since nothing has really worked for me. Iíve tried just to deal and live with it but I canít. If there is anyone out there who has the same symptoms I do or maybe can help, Please reply!!!

I have lost all my self-esteem. I look soo much older then I really am. I look so tried all the time but Iím not. No matter how much I sleep or water I drink it doesnít help. And 24 hours a day I always feel some pain/pressure/strain/discomfort around and under my eyes and cheeks which gets worst later in the day. Iíve quit smoking like the doctor told me too, but I still continue to suffer.

My eyes are getting so puffy and dark I can't even look at my loved ones without feeling ugly, embarrassed and uncomfortable.

Please help,
Thank you

Last edited by darkman; 11-17-2003 at 12:49 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2003, 04:22 AM   #2
Inactive

n7ynk HB User
I have had the last 2 out of 3 you describe. I nasal irrigate with salt water & baking soda. It is terrific feeling. Breaks up all the gunk & gave me a 30% energy boost. Does irrigating completely cure you, no. I still have to irrigate 2-3 times a day & when I rake leaves or get into something dusty like the garage. My nose & sinuses are clear & I have not taken any allergy medication since May 03. I use a 100 CC syringe with a silicon tip made to create a seal around the nose. Important when irrigating to flush from one side of the nose out the other. Sounds harsh, but it is the best. Will set you back around $20. Good luck, hope this helps you.

Old 11-17-2003, 05:05 PM   #3

pd50 HB User
Quote:
Originally Posted by n7ynk
I have had the last 2 out of 3 you describe. I nasal irrigate with salt water & baking soda. It is terrific feeling. Breaks up all the gunk & gave me a 30% energy boost. Does irrigating completely cure you, no. I still have to irrigate 2-3 times a day & when I rake leaves or get into something dusty like the garage. My nose & sinuses are clear & I have not taken any allergy medication since May 03. I use a 100 CC syringe with a silicon tip made to create a seal around the nose. Important when irrigating to flush from one side of the nose out the other. Sounds harsh, but it is the best. Will set you back around $20. Good luck, hope this helps you.
When you irrigate.......how much water and how much salt? And when you use the baking soda, how much water to that. Would like to know the ratio of the mix.

I have had mold allergies for years and it takes a toll.........swollen eyes.....ect.......it never really goes away......you just have to learn how to control it I think.

Old 11-17-2003, 07:03 PM   #4
Inactive

n7ynk HB User
Boil a pot of filtered water, let cool to room temperature. Pour 2 cups of water into a container (I use a canning jar) & heat in microwave to comfortable temperature. Ideally body temperature.
Mix 1/2 teaspoon of noniodized sea salt [Look for pure salt, no dextrose (sugar), calcium silicate (anti-caking agent) or bleaching] & 1/4 teaspoon of baking SODA (fresh). Allergists says this mixture mimicks the body & the baking soda helps break up phlegm.

Old 11-17-2003, 11:03 PM   #5
(female)

slpagirl HB User
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkman
Hello everybody,

Well here it goes, I'm a 31-year-old male and for the past couple of years I have been suffering from the following symptoms:

1. Constant pain and pressure around and under my eyes (cheeks)
2. Dark circles under and around my eyes! (Eyelids are dark too)
3. Eyes are always puffy and swollen (around eyes, eye lids and under eyes)

I do not understand why me?!?!? I have never really had any health problems in the past. Not even seasonal allergies. But 2 years ago, all of a sudden I started to have these problems and haven’t been able to get rid of them. When they first started I went to the doctor and he told me that I had a sinus infection. He treated me with Augmenting and some decongestants. It did help a little but didn't get rid of my symptoms. I decided to see an allergy doctor and received an allergy test. Test revealed that I'm allergic to pet danger, mold, pollen, dust mite and other stuff. But, I don't have the typically sneezing, running nose, itchy eye, etc that normally people have. I only have the above symptoms! My allergy doctor suggested I see a neurologist . But as I told her, I don't really have bad headaches. I still when to check one out but he couldn't help either. So for the past 2 years I have been so depressed, not knowing where to turn since nothing has really worked for me. I’ve tried just to deal and live with it but I can’t. If there is anyone out there who has the same symptoms I do or maybe can help, Please reply!!!

I have lost all my self-esteem. I look soo much older then I really am. I look so tried all the time but I’m not. No matter how much I sleep or water I drink it doesn’t help. And 24 hours a day I always feel some pain/pressure/strain/discomfort around and under my eyes and cheeks which gets worst later in the day. I’ve quit smoking like the doctor told me too, but I still continue to suffer.

My eyes are getting so puffy and dark I can't even look at my loved ones without feeling ugly, embarrassed and uncomfortable.

Please help,
Thank you
Hello,
I can really identify with what you are going through. Same with me... This past 2 months, I have had terrible battle with this type of pressure sensations. where I never experienced this before. I am 42 years old.
Mine are on my eyes too... and also ears and sometimes the top of my head.
I saw an ENT and have been on Flonase, antibiotics (10 days), and allergy medication for about 4 weeks now. The Flonase really helped at first, but now when the pressure is bad, it doesn't seem to do much. Did you have a CT scan or MRI of your sinuses? I did and it showed I do have inflammation in my sinus cavities by my eyes/nose area. I have been on the Internet everyday, trying to find a magic answer to all this, b/c I cannot imagine living like this forever. It is very depressing, and the sad thing is that nobody seems to understand (even doctors) how debilitating it is. People seem to think it's a minor thing, but unless you are going through this, you don't realize how terrible it is. It is life-changing. I am normally an active and a positive-thinker when it comes to my health. I don't feel a lot of compassion from people, since it's not a brain tumor or something like that. I guess I had the same opinion, prior to having sinus problems. Anyway, my hunch is that our sinus cavities are inflamed, due to a reaction to something in our environment (mold, dust, dander, dust mites, etc). They are inflamed, so our sinuses become blocked. I am now trying to stay faithful to my allergy medication, and be on it around the clock. Also, I am going to get away from my home environment during Thanksgiving for 5 days... maybe, that will tell me if it is something in my environment that I am allergic to.
When you change environments, does it help? The ideal situation would to stay somewhere on the beach, where you can get the salt air to help cleanse your sinuses. Anyway, I don't know what advice I can give, but maybe to change your environment as a test. Take care and good luck.

Questions about your eyes: Do your eyes ache and feel tire easily now, from all the pressure? Mine do. I also hear a clicking somtimes, when I blink. Sounds like the clicking you hear in your neck, when you have a stiff neck. And the skin is saggy on my eyeballs. Have any of that? ... and my vision does not seem as crisp and clear. I'm going to the opthamologist soon, to ensure none of this is damaging to my eyes.

The following user gives a hug of support to slpagirl:
Sharon2011 (05-30-2011)
Old 11-18-2003, 12:29 PM   #6

darkman HB User
Quote:
Originally Posted by slpagirl
Hello,
I can really identify with what you are going through. Same with me... This past 2 months, I have had terrible battle with this type of pressure sensations. where I never experienced this before. I am 42 years old.
Mine are on my eyes too... and also ears and sometimes the top of my head.
I saw an ENT and have been on Flonase, antibiotics (10 days), and allergy medication for about 4 weeks now. The Flonase really helped at first, but now when the pressure is bad, it doesn't seem to do much. Did you have a CT scan or MRI of your sinuses? I did and it showed I do have inflammation in my sinus cavities by my eyes/nose area. I have been on the Internet everyday, trying to find a magic answer to all this, b/c I cannot imagine living like this forever. It is very depressing, and the sad thing is that nobody seems to understand (even doctors) how debilitating it is. People seem to think it's a minor thing, but unless you are going through this, you don't realize how terrible it is. It is life-changing. I am normally an active and a positive-thinker when it comes to my health. I don't feel a lot of compassion from people, since it's not a brain tumor or something like that. I guess I had the same opinion, prior to having sinus problems. Anyway, my hunch is that our sinus cavities are inflamed, due to a reaction to something in our environment (mold, dust, dander, dust mites, etc). They are inflamed, so our sinuses become blocked. I am now trying to stay faithful to my allergy medication, and be on it around the clock. Also, I am going to get away from my home environment during Thanksgiving for 5 days... maybe, that will tell me if it is something in my environment that I am allergic to.
When you change environments, does it help? The ideal situation would to stay somewhere on the beach, where you can get the salt air to help cleanse your sinuses. Anyway, I don't know what advice I can give, but maybe to change your environment as a test. Take care and good luck.

Questions about your eyes: Do your eyes ache and feel tire easily now, from all the pressure? Mine do. I also hear a clicking somtimes, when I blink. Sounds like the clicking you hear in your neck, when you have a stiff neck. And thskin is saggy on my eyeballs. Have any of that? ... and my vision does not seem as crisp and clear. I'm going to the opthamologist soon, to ensure none of this is damaging to my eyes.
Thanks for responding,

Yes I had a CT of my sinuses twice and the doctor said I had some build up in my right cavity, but nothing really out of the norm, or nothing serious. I've had the same luck with Flonase and other products, they seem to help a little at first but are non-effective after a few days or so. My eyes feel tired very easy too from all the pressure.

I have a few questions for you. Do you smoke? And if so, does it make the pain/pressure worse. It did for me so I quit smoking. When you first started having these problems, did you have any fever? Well I did. Doctor said I had sinusitis and treated me for that. Treatment helped, no more fever, but everything else never went away. Because of the pressure, do you have dark circles under your eyes and eyelids? My eyes have never been dark before until this first started. There dark above and below my eyes. They also have a hint of reddish in them since theyíre a little puffy and swollen. Does your pain/pressure seem to get worse as the day goes on? Well mine does. Especially at work. I always look like Iím "under the whether" or "need to get rest". This has affected my life tremendously. I wouldn't wish this on anybody. The only thing that seems to get me some relief is regular over-the-counter allergy/sinus pills. The pressure/pain also seems to get worse if Iím around my dog for too long. One last thing, do you only feel pressure? Or do you also feel pain?

Old 11-18-2003, 12:39 PM   #7

pd50 HB User
Quote:
Thanks for responding,

Yes I had a CT of my sinuses twice and the doctor said I had some build up in my right cavity, but nothing really out of the norm, or nothing serious. I've had the same luck with Flonase and other products, they seem to help a little at first but are non-effective after a few days or so. My eyes feel tired very easy too from all the pressure.

I have a few questions for you. Do you smoke? And if so, does it make the pain/pressure worse. It did for me so I quit smoking. When you first started having these problems, did you have any fever? Well I did. Doctor said I had sinusitis and treated me for that. Treatment helped, no more fever, but everything else never went away. Because of the pressure, do you have dark circles under your eyes and eyelids? My eyes have never been dark before until this first started. There dark above and below my eyes. They also have a hint of reddish in them since theyíre a little puffy and swollen. Does your pain/pressure seem to get worse as the day goes on? Well mine does. Especially at work. I always look like Iím "under the whether" or "need to get rest". This has affected my life tremendously. I wouldn't wish this on anybody. The only thing that seems to get me some relief is regular over-the-counter allergy/sinus pills. The pressure/pain also seems to get worse if Iím around my dog for too long. One last thing, do you only feel pressure? Or do you also feel pain?

I found that the antibiotic omnicef worked pretty good and I just had my doc change to a different nasal spray called Rhinocort AQ because some studies show that the preservative in flonase and others can damage the lining of the nose ect. here is the link where I found the info.
[url]http://my.*****.com/content/article/32/1728_79718[/url]

The reason I think this is true is for years I was on vancenase......the one without this preservative......it would expire every 3 months because it didn't have the preservative bku in it. My allergies/sinus problems stayed controllable. When I could no longer get that spray in the states they gave me the flonase and it just doesn't work as well. The rhinocort doesn't have that preservative in it. I have enough problems in that area and sure don't need no nasal spray to damage me more.

Last edited by pd50; 11-18-2003 at 12:42 PM.

Old 11-18-2003, 02:22 PM   #8
(female)

slpagirl HB User
Quote:
Thanks for responding,

I have a few questions for you. Do you smoke? And if so, does it make the pain/pressure worse. It did for me so I quit smoking. When you first started having these problems, did you have any fever? Well I did. Doctor said I had sinusitis and treated me for that. Treatment helped, no more fever, but everything else never went away. Because of the pressure, do you have dark circles under your eyes and eyelids? My eyes have never been dark before until this first started. There dark above and below my eyes. They also have a hint of reddish in them since they’re a little puffy and swollen. Does your pain/pressure seem to get worse as the day goes on? Well mine does. Especially at work. I always look like I’m "under the whether" or "need to get rest". This has affected my life tremendously. I wouldn't wish this on anybody. The only thing that seems to get me some relief is regular over-the-counter allergy/sinus pills. The pressure/pain also seems to get worse if I’m around my dog for too long. One last thing, do you only feel pressure? Or do you also feel pain?
Hi... No, I don't smoke. Never had a fever either. Yours must have been from the infection. I don't get the dark circles either. Could it be from not enough sleep? I know, when this problem first started, I lost a LOT of sleep, from worry. I had no idea what this was, since I never experienced it before.
My pressure does usually get worse as the day progresses, though sometimes it's there from the beginning. I had one migraine at the start of this thing, then it was just pure pressure symptoms. Today, I did have another migraine. Not sure why, because yesterday, I had a pretty good day. You said you do not experience pain, just pressure, right? I think some of what we have is tension headache, from the stress of having such an illness. So, it's hard to separate the two sometimes. I have blood pressure probs too, so the decongestants made my bp go up at one time. I see my ENT on Thursday... curious what he will recommend next. I'm anxious to see how changing environments will work for me. I think there's a lot of allergens in my current environment.
Take care. We'll get to the bottom of this somehow. Good luck.
Keep us posted and I will to.

Old 11-24-2003, 01:37 PM   #9
(male)

fallen02 HB User
Re: Pain/Pressure around and under my eyes. Why me?!?

Darkman + the whole world,

I have the exact same symptoms.
I am 23, have been in perfect health all of my life.
This 'sickness' stresses me out more than anything has in my entire life.
This pain started 7 months ago.

aside from the look,
Are your eyes burning? Mine constantly burn----constantly.
This is the most annoying part of everything.
Have you ever had a dry- chalky type build-up in the back of your throat (slightly red throat)
and breath smell kind of bad?

You have a lot of the same symtoms that I have.
My eyes looks really dark around the eye, eyelids, and when you look at me from the side,
my eyes look really 'hazed' ---dark.

I usually have to cutt my days short because I just look rough as hell at the end of the day.
I hide at my apartment, watching tv in the dark.
I have to get tons of sleep and even if I drink just a couple of beers during the week, the next day,
everyone at work thinks I have been up all night.

I have always been a really confident person (even have friends tell me that a lot of people think that I am even too confident/cocky to hang out with)
This 'sickness' has really lowered my self esteem.
And NO ONE understands what I am going through.
NO ONE.

Have spent tons of money trying to get to the bottom of it.
Physician has given me allegra, amoxicilan, even cipro (the stuff used for anthrax patients)
Othamologist has ran expensive blood test on me, glaucoma, macul, dry-eyes syndrome.
started to get headaches---went and got a CT scan----Nothing
I have been so 'wierded out' about this -- I even got an HIV test.
No one knows the anwser and the doctors really **** me off.

I just look like I am sick all of the time.
I cannot take it anymore---I will do anything!

no sneezing, runny nose, etc.
When I breath in sometimes hairsrays, cologne, it seems like the smell really opens up my nostrils.
almost like I am smelling something like a vapor.

Is the skin around your eyes really sensitive to touch, like a layer of it has been stripped off?

Lets talk about this, we have a lot of the same symptoms.
What to do?

Old 11-24-2003, 01:43 PM   #10
(male)

fallen02 HB User

aside from the look,
Have you ever had a dry- chalky type build-up in the back of your throat (slightly red throat)

My eyes looks really dark around the eye, eyelids, and when you look at me from the side,

I usually have to cutt my days short because I just look rough as hell at the end of the day.
I have to get tons of sleep and even if I drink just a couple of beers during the week, the next day,

I have always been a really confident person (even have friends tell me that a lot of people think that I am even too confident/cocky to hang out with)
NO ONE.

Physician has given me allegra, amoxicilan, even cipro (the stuff used for anthrax patients)
Othamologist has ran expensive blood test on me, glaucoma, macul, dry-eyes syndrome.

When I breath in sometimes hairsrays, cologne, it seems like the smell really opens up my nostrils and it burns

Is the skin around your eyes really sensitive to touch, like a layer of it has been stripped off?

What to do?

Old 11-27-2003, 09:16 AM   #11

darkman HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akita12

aside from the look,

NO ONE.

When I breath in sometimes hairsrays, cologne, it seems like the smell really opens up my nostrils and it burns

What to do?
Hey Akita12,

Thanks for the reply. Looks like we do have alot of the same symptoms. I have been very healthy most of my life and like you also very confident. I lost my self-esteem along time ago. I just don't understand it either. "Why Me?!?!" I also had a HIV test just because I was freakin out since nothing the doctors gave me helped and they don't seem to no what they are doing! You have some symptoms I don't have: My eyes don't constantly burn, no dry chalky build-up in the back of throat, and my eyes are not really sensitive to touch. However, My eyes do burn and itch every now and then.

Do you have any sinus pain/pressure around your eyes, just below your eyes or in your cheeks? I always feel some pressure and pain in those areas. And I get worst as the day progresses. My eyes always feel like they are strained. Eyes, eye lids, and under my eyes are always dark and a bit puffy/swollen. Some days are better then others, BUT I have not been myself since this first started happening. People just don't understand how this affects your life!

I've tried so many prescriptions and allergy pills, but NOTHING seems to work! SO frustrating! I'm hoping to find answers here. I recently brought an air purifier and put it in my room (2 days ago). It seems to be helping. I feel like itís helping break up whatever guke I have in my sinus cavities. Will see. I'm gonna also try some of the suggestions I've read in this post. I think you should too.

I'm trying to be more positive about all this and hope to find the solution! We will get to the bottom of this. Thanks very much for replying.

P.s. sounds like you might have allergy eyes. I remember reading about it and you have some of the symptoms.

Keep in touch!

Last edited by darkman; 11-27-2003 at 09:25 AM.

Old 11-28-2003, 04:46 PM   #12

darkman HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pd50
I found that the antibiotic omnicef worked pretty good and I just had my doc change to a different nasal spray called Rhinocort AQ because some studies show that the preservative in flonase and others can damage the lining of the nose ect. here is the link where I found the info.
[url]http://my.*****.com/content/article/32/1728_79718[/url]

The reason I think this is true is for years I was on vancenase......the one without this preservative......it would expire every 3 months because it didn't have the preservative bku in it. My allergies/sinus problems stayed controllable. When I could no longer get that spray in the states they gave me the flonase and it just doesn't work as well. The rhinocort doesn't have that preservative in it. I have enough problems in that area and sure don't need no nasal spray to damage me more.
Just was wandering how the new antibiotics and nasal spray are working for you??!?

Old 12-02-2003, 07:13 AM   #13
(male)

fallen02 HB User

I am going to try and switch to all natural bathroom supplies (hairspray, fragrance - free Deodorant, Frang - free cologne)---try to keep thing as natural as possible.

Post back and let me know how things are going with time

Akita12

Old 12-03-2003, 03:27 PM   #14

danny_01 HB User

i didnt read the whole topic but i have some of the symptoms you have.. im allergic to dust, dust mites, tree pollen and feathers.

my allergist recomended i have allergy shots if im willing to take it seriously cause they can help cure you of your allergies. but it takes a long time. he also said most medications dont work for year round allergies like dust mites

i really havent been able to breath properly through my nose ever since i quit smoking back in 2001. so it's hard to sleep when youre a mouth breather. i have the pain in my sinuses, head, and under my eyes and dark circles too

like you i never thought i had allergies cause when i think of allergies i imagine sneezing/runny nose etc. dark circles are ugly, supposedly they are hereditary, or due to allergies

Last edited by danny_01; 12-03-2003 at 03:32 PM.

Old 07-19-2004, 07:06 PM   #15

Vel HB User

anyone else have info on this? my eyes always feel tired and i have dark and slightly baggy circles unde rmy eyes. I have had them since I was like 15 though. I'm 27 now. everyone thinks i am always tired or sick and they tell me i should get some sleep. those are the idiots who think i don;t sleep 10-12 hours a day as it is. then the people i tell I sleep a lot first, they are the ones saying I get too much sleep. I am getting annoyed with people and am about to seriously start tearing some heads off.

Closed Thread