It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2002, 10:57 AM   #1

kristanicole HB User
Unhappy itchy lips :(

hi, this is my first time here, so hopefully i'm dong this right. I'm trying to find some info on what on earth could be wrong with my lips! i knw i have some sort of allergy becuase when i eat certain fruits (apples, peaches, pears, nectarines, plums etc) my lips become unbareably itchy and swollen. this lasts for days after. But for the last 3 weeks my lips have been horrible and I havent eaten any of those...it's the worst at night. woke up this morning and they were all blistery and weeping. ouch! what could be wrong?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2002, 12:28 PM   #2

momma2boys HB User
BE CAREFUL!!! This happened to me, I used to eat bananas all the time and then I started getting the itchy lips. Then my throat would start itching and feel like it was swelling. It eventually got to the point where someone was eating a banana across the table from me and I broke out in hives so bad and my face swelled so bad my eyes were closed. They told me that if I ever accidentally ingest bananas it could be fatal. You should stop eating anything that is bothering you and see an allergy doctor before you have an anaphylactic reaction.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2003, 11:28 PM   #3

khumphrey HB User
It sounds like you have oral allergy syndrome. Are you also allergic to grass or pollen? I have the same thing, to the same kinds of foods. It progressed to nuts as well, and now I carry an epi-pen.

The difference with oral allergy syndrome is that you only get the reactions if the food is RAW. For example, if I eat a peach I break out in hives, am itchy all over my face and neck, and my lips, tongue, and mouth are very itchy and numb. I can eat canned peaches though. The cooking process destroys the proteins that your body is mistaking for the pollen protein that I'm actually allergic to.

Document your reactions and STOP eating stuff that is giving you a reaction.

Old 01-04-2003, 06:20 AM   #4
Inactive

Treasures HB User
I had the same thing back some months ago and posted.....all of a sudden i had what felt like dry, very dry, yet swollen, rash like oozing. If i put my tongue on my lips they felt raw, and almost like the tinge of metal. Never went away completely, would act as if healing and come back with a vengeance. I was 3 months into my atkins diet, which worked wonderfully. I also had just cut back on B5 supplement. Never had anything like it in my life. The bottom lip was irritated well below the lipline also. Dermatologist said either yeast or herpes type virus. Ointment for yeast did nothing yet burn it, and the Herpes meds took half the irration away after the one pill, yet it again came back with vengenace. Finally after a few months, ive been free of this horrible pain.
As I knock on wood lol
Goodluck

Old 01-04-2003, 09:09 PM   #5
Inactive

silverwill HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by kristanicole:
hi, this is my first time here, so hopefully i'm dong this right. I'm trying to find some info on what on earth could be wrong with my lips! i knw i have some sort of allergy becuase when i eat certain fruits (apples, peaches, pears, nectarines, plums etc) my lips become unbareably itchy and swollen. this lasts for days after. But for the last 3 weeks my lips have been horrible and I havent eaten any of those...it's the worst at night. woke up this morning and they were all blistery and weeping. ouch! what could be wrong?

My sister has the same thing. She has the itch on her tongue & in her throat as well though. She's asked her allergist about it & it turns out that the skins & the fruit themselves carry a certain type of mold & some specific protiens that give her reactions.
Also, I'm wondering. Do you get poison often? Do you eat mangoes. They come from the same family of plants as poison ivy. I was told not to eat mangoes because I get wicked poison. (I don't want to either because I get the way my sister does with other fruit--ever try to scratch your tongue?)

Old 01-29-2003, 02:38 PM   #6

kapyles HB User
[QUOTE]Originally posted by kristanicole:
when i eat certain fruits (apples, peaches, pears, nectarines, plums etc) my lips become unbareably itchy and swollen. this lasts for days after. But for the last 3 weeks my lips have been horrible and I havent eaten any of those...it's the worst at night. When I woke up this morning and they were all blistery and weeping.

Hi,
I have a very similar problem with my lips and cannot find a cure. I am not sure what causes my lips to react though. I know that certain acidic fruits make them feel irritated. I go through phases with my lips. They first get inflamed and have tiny little bumps on them and become weepy (with a burning feeling), then the irritation starts to dry up and then finally it peels a little and goes away for a couple days and then the same process all over again. This has been happening for over a year now. The dermatologist I go to cannot figure out what is wrong. He has given me samples of hydrocortizone and other ointments, but nothing ever helps. I have tried stopping use of chapsticks and lip balms/lipstick and tried to find all natural balms to use and even those do not help. I have tried vitamin E oil, but found no results. I am starting to feel like maybe I am allergic to my own saliva!! This process does not spread to any other part of my face or body, it is just contained on the red part of my lips (and occasionally a little below). Does anyone have any ideas of what could be causing this? Could it be some sort of vitamin defficiency, or maybe an allergic reaction to toothpaste or certain foods?? If anyone has any info I would greatly appreciate it.

------------------
kf

Old 01-30-2003, 08:35 AM   #7

Lily0727 HB User
Have YOU seen an allergist or an Ear, Nose and Throat Dr.? If so, what was told to you?

Old 02-05-2003, 08:44 AM   #8

Sarah Marquis HB User
Talking

THANKYOU SO MUCH!!! I found this website today and i so wish that i found it before!!! I was really starting to think i was one of a kind with my own allergy!! When ever i eat (literally all foods) my lips swell and become very red and itchy!!! My throat swells and tightens. I have had two bad reactions where my chest had tightened and the second one caused me to stop breating! I was prescribed an EpiPen on my first visit to the doctor and thankfully for that and my boyfriend who administered it, i am here today! I only have to brush my teeth and my lips will go red on the bit underneath. I have totally baffled the doctors and am eating next to nothing because i am trying to cut out anything that has a reaction. The nutritionalist wants to put me on an additive and preservative diet however this means eating less that i do at the moment. I would appriciate anyone who has similar symptoms reply and tell me how they are coping and what they can do to make reactions less!

[This message has been edited by Sarah Marquis (edited 02-06-2003).]

Old 03-10-2003, 05:22 AM   #9

ashlyno HB User
Smile

i also get bumps and swellen on lips everytime i eat mangos,also my throat hurts. i still get mangos since i love them. i was surprised that the last time i ate one about a week ago, i got not allegric reation which was a miracle to me. i was so very happy.

Closed Thread