It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2003, 01:38 PM   #1

kraypm HB User
Unhappy allergic to chicken!

Hello all!

A month ago I underwent allergy testing, for several symptoms. Well, get this, I'm allergic to chicken, NOT eggs, NOT turkey or other birds! Geez - I ate the stuff every day! I'm sure this is not very common, as I cannot find any info on the Internet on subject...

My symptoms have disappeared since I wiped it out of my diet - so there has to be some validity to it.

Does anyone know anything on the subject, or where I can get info?

Thanks in advance,

Kray

Old 03-31-2003, 06:19 PM   #2

Wake25 HB User
I find it very hard to believe you are allergic to chicken... is it processed? what are you adding to the chicken? I guess you can't argue with a test.. what kind of test was it? there should be a reactivity score. I'd ask for copies of all this. you may have an intolerance to chicken.. this is NOT an allergy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2003, 06:45 PM   #3
(female)

Trinitytype2 HB User
Re: allergic to chicken!

Which came first, the chicken or the egg? I have been allergic to eggs, bird *****, feathers, down, (found out the hard way). I cannot handle raw poultry, but for some reason I can eat chicken. It must be a protein in the eggs & birds & maybe it's diluted in cooked chicken???

Old 11-28-2003, 07:47 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraypm
Hello all! My symptoms have disappeared since I wiped it out of my diet - so there has to be some validity to it.

Thanks in advance,

Kray
I can't help you, but I am curious. What type of allergic reaction were you having to chicken?

Chicken is a tough allergy to have. I'm allergic to many foods, including beef, but they are mild allergies.

At least you know, so you can avoid chicken.

Old 11-28-2003, 07:59 PM   #5

Lochnessie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wake25
you may have an intolerance to chicken.. this is NOT an allergy.
It is rare, but people can have an allergy to chicken.

Old 11-28-2003, 08:21 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

snowmelts HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochnessie
It is rare, but people can have an allergy to chicken.
Yes. Seems we can be allergic to anything sometimes.
I can eat chicken. I can eat turkey. I can eat beef.

BUT I cannot eat any pork or fish. Those two cause extreme pain which made me avoid them before the allergy Dr even told me to.

Old 11-28-2003, 08:38 PM   #7
Inactive

n7ynk HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraypm
Hello all!

A month ago I underwent allergy testing, for several symptoms. Well, get this, I'm allergic to chicken, NOT eggs, NOT turkey or other birds! Geez - I ate the stuff every day! I'm sure this is not very common, as I cannot find any info on the Internet on subject...

My symptoms have disappeared since I wiped it out of my diet - so there has to be some validity to it.

Thanks in advance,

Kray
I am allergic to chicken, also turkey bothers me. I get a runny nose, irritability kicks in, blood pressure rises. I now nasal irrigate and can eat chicken and turkey once a week without a problem.

Old 11-29-2003, 05:24 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by n7ynk
I am allergic to chicken, also turkey bothers me. I get a runny nose, irritability kicks in, blood pressure rises. I now nasal irrigate and can eat chicken and turkey once a week without a problem.
I've read your notes about nasal irrigation, and that it is very effective, and has made a difference in your life. If I am not mistaken, you irrigate around three times a day.

Could the reason you have to irrigate so often is because you have a low grade sinus infection? Low grade sinus infections can reek havoc with our immune systems over time.

OTOH, it is remarkable that you have found a way to deal with your allergies through irrigation.

When I have an allergic reaction, it also can make me lethargic, and feel sickly. When you eat chicken, do you get a little sluggish after eating? Does you blood pressure still go up after eating chicken?

Thanks.....

Old 11-29-2003, 05:47 AM   #9
Inactive

n7ynk HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerzoids
I've read your notes about nasal irrigation, and that it is very effective, and has made a difference in your life. If I am not mistaken, you irrigate around three times a day.

Could the reason you have to irrigate so often is because you have a low grade sinus infection? Low grade sinus infections can reek havoc with our immune systems over time.

OTOH, it is remarkable that you have found a way to deal with your allergies through irrigation.

When I have an allergic reaction, it also can make me lethargic, and feel sickly. When you eat chicken, do you get a little sluggish after eating? Does you blood pressure still go up after eating chicken?

Thanks.....
I have always wondered if I had a low grade sinus infection. I know I cannot skip an irrigation in the morning or at night, sometimes I do one at lunch, I just feel so much better. But the runny nose and stuffiness is right around the corner if I do not irrigate. Before irrigating, dairy was the worst affect on me. Runny nose, flushed face, high blood pressure, then irritability and anxiety later on. Just as I was disovering irrigation Chicken and turkey were having the same effects but a notch higher. I was actually scared to eat chicken becasue of the adverse reaction I would get. About feeling sluggish, when I did not irrigate, I would get sluggish, take a tylenol sinus and lay down for a few hours. Now that I irrigate my reaction is way less than when I did not irrigate. I am just aware that the chicken is bothering me & I should take it easy. I have tried the peroxide & salt & baking soda, but only standing up. It did burn some, but my next step is to try a little bit with my head backwards. It is a journey and I am always willing to try different processes. I like the idea that my sinuses could have an infection, would explain why I am could get so stuffy without irrigation. After irrigating I turn my head side to side and get water out of the right side only. Irrigating since May 03, I know my sinuses are getting better as the left side is starting to drain a little after I irrigate. Makes me think the sinuses are breaking up and there are more places for the water to go.

Old 11-29-2003, 06:39 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Now that I irrigate my reaction is way less than when I did not irrigate.
When the sinuses are irritated, body chemicals are pumped into our systems which make us feel miserable, IMHO. So, even if your irrigations are not curing your sinus infection problems, the irrigations are, at least, reducing the amount of irritating substances released by the body's defense mechanisms.

Quote:
I have tried the peroxide & salt & baking soda, but only standing up. It did burn some, but my next step is to try a little bit with my head backwards. It is a journey and I am always willing to try different processes.
I tried many different techniques to get the peroxide/baking soda mixture to the source of my infections. I had no idea where my sinus infection was located, but no matter how I irrigated or attacked my sinuses with Q-Tips, etc. nothing did any good until I placed my head down on the floor of the shower and flooded my sinuses with the mixture. That first time I kept my head down for quite a while. I figured, either the peroxide was going to "find and destroy" the infection, or it would kill me! My sinuses were plugged shut, so I figured that I would have to keep my head down for a long time in order for the peroxide to seep into the sinus cavities, where it could "find and destroy" the infection.

I don't know if it worked that first time, or if it took quite a few treatments to work, but when I did an "upside down" irrigation, each time the discharge got cleaner, and most of the time, my sinus condition improved. Perhaps I had several infections in several sinuses, or just one stuborn sinus infection? I don't know.

I am a little nervous of Eustacian Tube problems, so I don't breath in through my nose while my sinuses are flooded. So far, all I've had is good experiences with the "upside down flooding" irrigation. It's about time! I can now go up to three months between irrigations. I went through DECADES of sinus problems!

Quote:
Irrigating since May 03, I know my sinuses are getting better as the left side is starting to drain a little after I irrigate. Makes me think the sinuses are breaking up and there are more places for the water to go.
Sinusitis causes tremendous misery in this world. I think that it is great that you have discovered an acceptable method of treating your sinusitis. I'm sure that your notes about irrigation have helped many people. There is an old Jewish saying that if you save one person it is as though you are saving the world.

Regards......

Last edited by Machaon; 11-29-2003 at 06:47 AM.

Old 12-01-2003, 05:25 AM   #11
(female)

badkat HB User

My son is/was allergic to Chicken!! when he was 1 1/2 yrs? he was tested and reacted to Chicken. First he started with hives, rashes.. which then turned into very runny stools, throwing up and then swelling of the lips and it all started within 1/2hr after eating! We had kept him away from all chicken products - for 1 1/2yrs he is now a little over 3... and his allergist did a chicken challenge and now everything seem ok???!!! He is on Zyrtec and singulair - because of asthma and other allergies, but so far so good.

Old 12-01-2003, 12:34 PM   #12

skyblueeyes HB User

I can't believe you posted this, this is exactly what I came to the boards to search for! It is possible to be allergic to chicken, trust me, I have been allergic to chicken for years. What started as an itchy throat when eating chicken sandwich's in high school became multiple visits to the health clinic in college after eating chicken nuggets, shake n bake chicken etc. The symptoms progressively got worse, from itchy throat to swelling eyes, closed throat & difficulty breathing. I blamed it on everything other than the chicken (breadcrumbs, batter, preservatives etc) since sometimes I ate it and was fine, other times I would have a reaction. The worst reaction I had was after college, I was taking antibiotics for something unrelated and ate broiled, skinless breast of chicken at home. My reactions start within 20 minutes, and within an hour I was in the emergency room with my eye's swollen shut, swollen lips & tongue & major difficulty breathing. The doctor told me I have a life threatening allergy & to stay away from chicken/turkey/poultry products.

Trust me, if they say you are allergic, you are allergic. I think it has something to do with the enzymes in poultry...with all the steroids, antibiotics & hormones they inject into poultry these days, I think this will become a more common allergy.

If you have any questions, or comments, please let me know! I would love to find a cure, or be able to enjoy a Thanksgiving/Turkey dinner with my family.

Old 12-01-2003, 06:55 PM   #13
Inactive

n7ynk HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblueeyes
...If you have any questions, or comments, please let me know! I would love to find a cure, or be able to enjoy a Thanksgiving/Turkey dinner with my family.
I use to have a terrible reaction to chicken and turkey. Flushed face, high blood pressure, irritability, skin rashes, freaking out.... Now I eat turkey, chicken, I even had my flu shot with no reaction. I had Thanksgiving turkey too. I can eat one meal once a week and have no problem what so ever. How do I do it? Nasal irrigation. I won't say a cure, but a miracle as I eat normal now with no ugly side effects, if I over do it, I get 20% of waht use to happen to me in the past. Good luck.....and eat turkey again!

Old 12-08-2003, 06:08 PM   #14

cosmicgrl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblueeyes
I can't believe you posted this, this is exactly what I came to the boards to search for! It is possible to be allergic to chicken, trust me, I have been allergic to chicken for years. What started as an itchy throat when eating chicken sandwich's in high school became multiple visits to the health clinic in college after eating chicken nuggets, shake n bake chicken etc. The symptoms progressively got worse, from itchy throat to swelling eyes, closed throat & difficulty breathing. I blamed it on everything other than the chicken (breadcrumbs, batter, preservatives etc) since sometimes I ate it and was fine, other times I would have a reaction. The worst reaction I had was after college, I was taking antibiotics for something unrelated and ate broiled, skinless breast of chicken at home. My reactions start within 20 minutes, and within an hour I was in the emergency room with my eye's swollen shut, swollen lips & tongue & major difficulty breathing. The doctor told me I have a life threatening allergy & to stay away from chicken/turkey/poultry products.

Trust me, if they say you are allergic, you are allergic. I think it has something to do with the enzymes in poultry...with all the steroids, antibiotics & hormones they inject into poultry these days, I think this will become a more common allergy.

If you have any questions, or comments, please let me know! I would love to find a cure, or be able to enjoy a Thanksgiving/Turkey dinner with my family.

Hi, I also am allergic to poultry, including eggs, but my simptoms are a little different. My throat starts to feel like I swollowed a huge piece of chicken and didn't chew it so it feels caught. but its not. I have a hard time to breathe or to continue eating. I have not been tested for this allergy. The other strange thing is eggs bother me also, but I get a different reaction, I get a stomache ache like I've been punched in the stomach. Nuts, tomatoes, bannanas, avacado, and some times shelfish all give me the stomach pain. It gets extemely severe as it progresses with many more side effects. I have been searching online for some help and maybe some answers. I don't have insurance at the time and I am not even sure if it an allergic reaction or maybe some signs of some kind of disorder or disease of my digestive system. Please help if any one knows where I should search next. thankyou,

Old 12-09-2003, 03:10 AM   #15
Inactive

n7ynk HB User

Try nasal irrigation called Jala Neti, it is one of the forms of Yoga called Hatha. The process cleanses the sinuses using sea salt mixed in water. No drugs! Here is a good article on stages 1, 2 & 3. I add baking soda to this as recommended by my allergist. Baking soda helps break up the phelm. [url]http://www.rainbowbody.net/Purity/NetiHandbook.pdf[/url] There are other therapies in there that I do not practice and can only laugh at. But, it is all powerful stuff.
This is what you may be looking for to alleviate your suffering. My life has changed for the best! I have been doing stage 1 since May 03 and have just started stage 2. I am excited about the results as I was when I 1st tried stage 1. It is awesome. When I started stage 1 the very next day I could eat chicken, dairy, & drink coffee again, all of which I am allergic too. No more uncontrollable sneezing, running nose, rashes, sleepless nights, etc. Stage 2 has given me a greater sense of health as more junk is coming out of my sinuses. This is just day 2 and WOW I feel fantastic. In 7 months I have not had a chest cold or sinus infection & I take NO allergy medicine. I have more energy to do the things in life that were impossible at one time in my life. When you try irrigating, you will experience this energy shift, it is wonderful. It is one of the affects of Yoga. I look at this as a journey and I get stronger every day and I have a smile on my face that just won't go away. David

Last edited by n7ynk; 12-09-2003 at 03:10 AM.

Closed Thread