I guess I always thought that allergies start as a child...? I am 28 and now wondering if I have allergies. When I think back on the past few years, I can remember always getting a "cold" (mainly a constant runny nose) for about a month at the start of spring. I expect it every year. Right now I am dealing with a sore throat (is that a symptom too?) and the runny nose.
One big thing is that anytime I am outside on a windy day my nose starts running like a faucet! LOL Is that normal for everyone or is that an allergy thing?
You can allergies at anytime in your life. Age does not matter and yes, a sore and itchy throat with the runny nose is part of the allergies.
I would say that a running nose on a windy day is not unusual and a lot of people may get this and it does not necessarily have to be allergies. It is the same as going outside on a cold day, when it will make your nose run too. It is more due to the differences in temperature than allergies really.
Yep, I developed mine when I was 32. Surprise! Find an antihistamine that works and go with it. It may take time, but something should alleviate your symptoms. Chlor-Trimeton is the only thing that really helps me. It's an OTC med. Good luck!
Mine started off in my very late 20's. I would be affected mostly in the mornings after smelling certain scents such as perfumes, tobacco, body odour (i had a customer service job so no getting away from human type smells). Then at about 32 i thought i had come down with a bad head cold and spent 2 days in bed. I then realised that it wasn't like the common cold and something else was wrong. It was a seasonal allergy. Being out on a dry, windy day will set mine off too, so will vacuuming the carpet. Sometimes it's like my nose is super sensitive to certain scents. I could be cooking dinner and peeling an onion and the onion smell will make me sneeze. It's totally crazy.
I tried most tablet form non-prescription type medication, but nothing worked like a nasal spray which my doctor prescribed. The directions said to use it twice a day, everyday...but i thought that was over doing it, especially once i spoke to another female who suffered allergies and now her system has gotten used to all the medications and she can't use a single thing. So i only used the nasal spray when things got out of control and then i'd not need to use it for a couple of weeks.
My biggest upset was when i found out i had developed an allergy to bananas. After only a few bites of a banana my whole mouth, back of throat and ears begin to itch severely. I still can't understand why and nobody else can explain it either
[This message has been edited by Audrey-B (edited 05-02-2003).]
I think I may be able to help you with the banana thing. I have the same problem, except it is not just bananas....it is apples, peaches, carrots, and some others. When I talked to the allergist about it he gave me a sheet of paper explaining it all. These certain fruits and veggies when fresh contain protiens...in these protiens there are pollens similar to those that are in the air that cause other symptoms. Once these foods are cooked or dehydrated they are fine. Hope this helps. Take care!!
Thanks for that information BEGALILLY....i hope my allergy stays put with just the bananas and doesnt spread to other things. I know people do have food allergies, but i thought my banana issue grew out of eating them on a daily basis for a number of years so the pollen/protein factor is very interesting.
I did have an allergy test some years ago (wasn't allergic to bananas back then) and was mostly allergic to pollens in the air, particularly wattle trees and a couple of different grasses.
It's strange though, i grew up on a farm and never suffered from allergies. I moved to the city and soon after i developed symptoms!!
[This message has been edited by Audrey-B (edited 05-09-2003).]
Just want to let everyone know that banana allergy is linked to latex sensitivity/allergy (as well as allergies to avacado). If you have developed a reaction to banana, I strongly urge you to find out if you have latex sensitivity. Latex allergies are made worse by exposure and can become very severe very quickly. You need to know so that medical personel will use latex free products thus not making you sicker if you go to the hospital!