It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2003, 10:21 AM   #1

Mike_71 HB User
Post Symptoms: Shortness of Breath, Metallic taste, swollen feeling - Ideas please.

Hello all.

I'm new to the board. I started have problems about 6yrs ago. I'm now 30 y/o.
My symptoms began with shortness of breath, and tight feeling in throat. This only happend at night, in bed. It turned out, once I removed a pet (hedgehog)from the room, 2-3 days later, the problems went away.

But since then, off and on through the yrs, I get these symptoms: Tightness in throat ( feels swollen ) ichy chest, neck, and fore arms, metallic taste in mouth, tickling in throat, and "puffy", numb feeling to one side of face (right).

Some times these syptoms are all at once, sometimes, just one or two. I have had them last a yr one time, other times a few weeks, and sometimes no symptoms for weeks or months.

I have begun using the best possible furnance filter money can buy, along with a hepa vacume. That has helped, but these symptoms continue. I hate living like this. I have no sinus trouble, or no problem with my eyes. But I find myself "yawning" to get a full breath sometimes. Seasons don't seem to matter, nor does being inside or out. These symptoms can stay for days/ weeks, or be gone for days weeks.

Can someone please offer any insight to these exact symptoms? What are you doing to stop them, what helped you? Is it a food or enviromental allergy? I'm going to an allery clinic tomorrow, and have reduced my diet to
morning - oatmeal/shake
afternoon - baked potato/ shake
dinner - baked potato/ chicken / green beans

I'll eat this same meal for a week or two, I hope it makes this stop.. This is no way to be, I'm so tired of being like this. Please, any help is welcomed.

Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2003, 10:49 AM   #2

Mike_71 HB User
Well, I was hoping someone else might be in the same boat, or have suggestions.
I went in for testing today, all scratch tests were negative. The clinic also did two asthma test, I did fine on both. I asked about blood testing, the doctor told me I need to know have an idea what I'm bothered by, and they'll test me for that.. Gee, If I knew, I'd avoid it.

Anyway, still on the diet, and symptoms did break last night for a few hrs, overnight, and this morning. They have comeback a touch, but not bad. I am now bumping my morning protein shake off the list for tomorrow. On the back, it had 4 MSG no-nos. Going to egg whites/ chicken/ green beans only for a week. Oh joy.

Mike.

[This message has been edited by Mike_71 (edited 04-15-2003).]

Old 04-16-2003, 06:37 PM   #3

smudge HB User
Smile

Hey there, just read your message after posting mine. I don't have any brilliant insights but can sympathize at least. I can certainly relate to the numbness in your face and swollen tight throat. Currently waiting to see an allergist. Not sure where you work, but have you investigated things like indoor air quality or environmental toxins? This scenario has been looked into by a co-worker of mine who deals with ceramics/kilns. You can have blood work done for certain heavy metals. Also when you're trying to do food elimination, it is helpful to stay away from prepared foods as much as possible. A friend just told me to check out the Canadian Asthma and Allergy Association website for info on symptoms, help and so forth. Maybe you could come across something there. Good luck - a fellow Ontarian

Old 04-18-2003, 09:27 PM   #4

mark g HB User
I have a chronic sinus infection and TMJ problems as well as allergies. (Occasional acid reflux.) What you're describing is common to TMJ, sleep apnea, allegy, sinusitis and chronic infection, as well as to environmental exposures. (Taking a hot shower is a bandaid fix.) The pain on the right side sounds like your jaw muscles are spasming up, which can aggravate other problems, such as normal sinus drainage. I really ought to drink some more water, such as the suggested eight glasses a day, to flush some of the (normal waste products and other) toxins out of my system - that's too simple, but it works.

Old 04-21-2003, 07:06 AM   #5

Carla Sue HB User
Hi Mike
Have you thought about having your silver colored fillings removed and replaced with white ones?

These metal fillings are toxic!
They release bits of the mercury into your body over and over.
ESPECIALLY if you are a teeth grinder.

The best thing to do is get the amalgam fillings replaced, with composite fillings,then do a detox,and I bet you will see improvements.
Worth a try anyway!
Good Luck
:~)

Look up mercury poisoning,and try to find a dentist who is experienced, in removing these fillings,
because they must be removed a certain way.

Carla Sue http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dance.gif

[This message has been edited by Carla Sue (edited 04-24-2003).]

Old 04-22-2003, 02:56 PM   #6
Inactive

ilaugh@myself.why HB User
if you've ruled out other things, i'd say it sounds like a case of mild anxiety..

Old 04-22-2003, 11:32 PM   #7

Mike_71 HB User
Sweet.. this is more like it. Thanks people.

smudge - I spent yrs smoking ( 7yrs ) and worked on dirty, dusty construction sites from 16-24. I got out of that, and now build web sites. I live just outside Hamilton ( for those in the US, its like Pittsburg) So a cleaner city wouldn't hurt I'm sure.

The diet has been tough on me, but so far working the symptoms have faded, and I've had three problem free days. However, over the past 6yrs I know these symptoms keep coming and going. One thing I have found bothers me, and get some reactions going is major weather changes. Like 2 deg one day, and 23 the next, and vise versa. Thanks for the ideas/help smudge.

Mark - I've never had sinus problems. My jaw never hurts or tightens, its more a tight feeling around the throat, sometimes a tingle to the neck/face, and sometime a numb/puffy feeling. The extra water is worth a try.. what was the about hot showers? Was this a good or bad thing?

Carla Sue - I give, how did you know I had silver fillings? Plus I am a tooth grinder? I've never thought about these being a problem, I've had them since a kid. I wonder if I could have a blood test first? Removing four fillings could be a painful "test".
But thank you for the idea. I'll ask my doctor his thoughts.

ilaugh - Mild anxiety is certainly there. Sometimes high. But this is not a panic attack. Whatever is causing these reactions, food, filling, weather..etc, causes feelings ( tight throat ) that in return trigger anxiety. Trust me, laying down beside my wife at night, and thinking *** is wrong with me.. why me? is hard. On nights my thoat is really bad, I wonder, will I suffocate? Can I choke to death? The more I play the stupid mental game with myself, the more dry my mouth gets, frequent trips to the bathroom, and of course anxiety.
To say dont worry when these symptoms is easier said then done when alone.

Thanks you guys
Mike.

Old 04-23-2003, 03:27 PM   #8

Carla Sue HB User
Hi Mike
I guessed about the silver fillings because MOST adults have them.
I only mentioned the teeth grinding because I have been plauged with this my whole life :~((((((

I think you should research mercury toxicity,on your own,and find a dentist who removes them, and talk to him or her about it.

Doctors only believe what they beleive.
No room for new stuff.
Lots of different view points on if it helps people or not, but MOST say it does help.(Many many illnesses!)
Also if you research it you will find out that,
I think it is Canada,has banned mercury fillings.
There is a ton of evidence out there that proves they are sooooooo bad,and yet they are still allowed.
Anyway if I can tell you anything else,let me know.
Take care and good luck.
Also quit worrying, you will not suffocate,everyone who has ever had an anxiety attack has thought they were going to die.
I SWEAR !!!!!
We are all still here.

Old 04-24-2003, 08:38 AM   #9

Mike_71 HB User
Carla Sue - Well, your guess what right on the money about the fillings. My wife has the white filling, myself, I have the silver. I even "grind" my teeth at night I'm told.

I went to a dentist yesterday, and the first looked at me like I was from another planet. I have no coverage, and haven't been to one in yrs. The second one was much better. They specialize in silver filling removal I was told. The invested thousands into equipment, including a facial vacume to remove gasses.
They can either replace the fillings.. or remove the teeth ( the second was my request..lol ) I just don't want any new problems, so might just yank the four. Three weeks till the appointment, from there, I'll keep the board posted.

Thanks for the support and kind words
Mike.

Old 04-24-2003, 10:06 AM   #10

Carla Sue HB User
Hi Mike
Congratulations http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/bang.gif

Did they tell you that the fillings are to big to replace, that is why you are getting them pulled?
or is it the cost?

Also I just noticed in your info, you are from Canada.
Arent mercury fillings banned there?
Meaning, they will remove them, but they will no longer insert them?
That is what I heard.
After you get these out, you are going to need to do a heavy metal detox.
Look up those words on internet and you should find somthing.Oe look at cure zone.
All the metal that came off of your fillings,from grinding, and everyday uses,has deposited itself,in your tissues and organs.
DONT WORRY.
The hard part is over!
You have decided to fix this and you WILL get better.
Take care

[This message has been edited by Carla Sue (edited 04-25-2003).]

Old 04-26-2003, 05:47 PM   #11

Mike_71 HB User
Carla Sue - What a fantasic response! Thank you very much for the info. I'm saving, and printing it. I'm not sure what the stance is regarding sliver fillings in Canada. Or if this is even my problem. But I'm willing to try anything, and this is next on my list. Thanks again so very much.

Mike.

Old 04-27-2003, 03:08 AM   #12
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

To get mercury amalgams removed and replaced you may need to go to a dentist that is interested in alternative healthcare. What I mean by this is that there are homeopathic dentists out there who use mercury free and you may need to look specifically to a dentist who advertises mercury free.

A few years ago now, I looked into this, as I suffered from constant stomach problems with lots of pain and tiredness and lethargy. My doc was at a loss about my stomach. It did get better when I changed my diet though, but was still not great. It was at this time that I read about mercury and started to investigate it. I first went to a conventional dentist and his receptionist told me that yes, they could replace some, but that ordinary white amalgams would not hold as well and that there is so little mercury that it would never do you any harm? I smiled to myself and walked away.

I was lucky that I found a homeopathic dentist in my area who used mercury free and was prepared to replace these amalgams.

Since this time, no more tiredness/lethargy and no more stomach problems. He did give me some homeopathic remedies to help my stomach too, so that was a bonus and they did work.

Anyway, you should not have a problem even in Canada. You should find a dentist willing to do this for you. You might have to look for an alternative practicing dentist though.

Good luck

Old 05-05-2003, 07:05 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User
Hi Mike-
Whatever way you go, do not lose teeth if you can help it!
It will screw up your bite and create problems with your remaining teeth, which will start to 'shift" the moment there's a gap or space to "fill". No good dentist will pull perfectly healthy teeth. Even if filled with amalgam, they are still viable and healthy. If you find a dentist who says, blithely, 'okay" to a request to pull,run, and I mean RUN....(do not walk !) outta there!

Old 05-06-2003, 08:42 AM   #14

Mike_71 HB User
zuzu8 - Thank you. My initial appointment for xrays is this week. The appointment for the filling removal will be on 2-3 weeks. I'll have to think this over more. I just wanted the teeth out to avoid drilling the silver fillings. Thanks again.

Mike.

Old 07-06-2003, 06:03 PM   #15

unknown person 1 HB User
hey mike 71 hey i am currently going through some issues here man , and i just wanted to know ,a littrle more about your symotoms . it feels like my throat thickens a litrtle bit and every time i swallow i get a gaging feeling and almost start throwing up . was yours like that? please help me ouit man

Closed Thread