It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2001, 04:11 PM   #1

Ashley Blakely HB User
Post lip rash

I have a question...has anyone ever had a problem with their lips becoming swollen, itchy, and burning? They stay this way for about a five-six days, then the swelling goes down, and they peel very heavily. This lasts another week. It only happens every few months; sometimes it is less severe. If anyone has any idea what this is, please email me! Thanks a lot!

Old 07-21-2003, 04:52 PM   #2
Inactive

sarez72 HB User
Just wanted to bump this v.old post to the top and see if anyone can offer any thoughts, as I seem to be encountering a similar problem.

Every so often, I get a dry, stinging, blistering effect that comes across my upper and lower lips (mainly on the inside of my lip though). If left, it becomes very red, swollen and painful. I've been tested for all sorts of things (i.e. coldsores, yeast infections etc) and they've all come back clear, so the next theory is that it's an allergy.

This makes a lot of sense, as the only thing I can find in common with each time it's occurred is after kissing a particular person (he lives interstate, so over a 2 year period, I've kissed him on 4 diff occasions). I've so far cancelled out his aftershave, but am at a loss as to what is causing it!

I've been treating it with a Cortisone cream (Elocon cream I think?) which I'm not really very keen in using long term as it can't be very good for me! This last bout has lasted over a week and doesn't appear to be responding as well as it has before to the cream, so I'm becoming quite frustrated.

Anyone been through anything similar, or can anyone make any suggestions on what I should do/try next?

Many thanks in advance

Sarah.

------------------
Don't believe everything you know

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2003, 05:03 AM   #3
(male)

lhacker HB User
About 15 years ago I had similar reaction to sodium benzoate. At that time it was a very popular food presesrvative. It was in potato chips, cookies, root beer, even toothpaste. After I realized it was the problem and began reading labels and avoiding foods with this preservative I had no more problems. I don't see it listed very often anymope.

Larry Hacker

Old 06-16-2004, 08:08 PM   #4

jojo25 HB User
Re: lip rash

Yes, I have the same problem except I aslo get this itchy hive on my fingers and hands what I do it akte zrytec, allegra or clairitin whatever I have in the house also i try not to get food around my lips and try not to open my mouth wide. I use to put stuff on my lips but I noticed it only made it worse. I was treates with methylpredinosoe but I only use it when my lips are extremely swollen otherwise I just ride the wave out. My clues are mangos, heat makes it worse or itch, chinese food, lip gloss, and dust which I tested allergic to. I also tested allergic to cats saliva and american roach dodo.
Anyone have any sugestions.

Old 05-20-2006, 01:28 PM   #5
(female)

deglos HB User

i have the same problem with my mouth-swollen, itchy, sensitive lips. i am not sure what caused it but i was in the sun for most of the day on the 14 may 2006 and woke next day with itcy skin. this has happened before and both times i was the same location. i went to the dermatologist then and she said it had to do with the grass and the sun. i did not come in contact with grass this time so i am not sure whats happening to me. some times my lips will look burnt and will peel. i cant wear and lip gloss or use Colgate. i tried cocoa butter and even that bugged the hell out of my lips. does any one have a cure?????

Old 05-20-2006, 03:58 PM   #6
(female)

2catfans HB User

Deglos,
I have eczema on my face and lips (although the stuff on my lips is called another big medical term that I can't seem to remember.). My docs have me using Elecon Cream very SPARINGLY. It things the skin and the facial skin is already thin. It works for me.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:04 AM   #7
(female)

urka84 HB User

This is my second time with the lip rash. The thing it reminds me of most is poison ivy, then exema. Sometimes it appears in small splotches on my face and hands as well. It's pretty hard to get rid of, but I use some Eucerin or plain coco butter lotion.

In addition to this I get a rash on my hands that is under the skin. It pops up like a bunch of big red warts that itch when I'm using warm water, and hurt if bumped or irritated. I know this is from a corn allergy, so I'm guessing the other could be as well. This rash seems to be mostly from TOUCHING corn products. I'm careful not to eat corn, corn chips, etc, however lots of things are made with corn syrups and corn oil. I'm beginning to think the lip/face rash is related and occurs when I have a buildup of corn products in my system.

I saw either here, or on another board about the same subject, that someone had just started using hemp lotion and thought that might be the cause of their rash. Hemp is related to corn and I'm also highly allergic to hemp lotions, so I would suggest to that person that they try staying away from corn too.

Closed Thread