It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2003, 09:04 AM   #1

corporeal HB User
Post Inner Ear Itchiness: An Untold Story

Allergic reactions differ from person to person. Some have runny noses, others have watery eyes. In my case, however, the most common and most unbearable reaction was (as a child) and continues to be MIDDLE EAR ITCH.

After fifteen years of weekly allergy shots, I have far fewer incidents of runny nose and watery eyes. What has not changed, unfortunately, is the middle ear itch triggered by dust, polen, mold, animal hair, and certain foods (especially nuts and dairy products).

As a child I was told there was nothing I could do for middle ear itch other than take antihistamines or take a hot shower (which is impossible when you are in public). Considering the multitude of antibiotics I was taking, I did not want to risk more damage to my bladder via antihistamines. Therefore, regretfully, I took up a few measures of my own.

I usually inserted a Q-tip into my ear and massaged what seems to be the eardrum itself. Sometimes, however, the itch seems so deep inside that a Q-tip would not suffice. In those cases I would roll a kleenex or napkin into a spike and force it against my eardrum. Now, at the age of 26, I do experience pain in my eardrums. (Note: This may instead be due to two tube ventilation operations I had.)

I am posting this message for two reasons...

First, a search on google for middle ear itch turned up very little. I feel terrible for any child out there suffering from this rarely discussed problem. If you have a young child who is constantly rubbing their ears (especially when outdoors in the spring, or when near dust in the home), they may be SILENTLY suffering.

Second, I'm hoping someone else who suffers from intense middle ear itchiness will read this and reply with their story. Do you have any tips or remedies? Do you have pain in your eardrum from using Q-tips or kleenex spikes?

Lastly, I want to post a few phrases which will turn up on google in case someone is searching for information on this rarely-discussed issue.

eardrum itch ... itchy eardrum ... itchiness middle ear ... itchy ear ... inner ear itchy ... eardrums itchy

[This message has been edited by corporeal (edited 09-03-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2003, 12:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

Ok, I have never suffered from this thankfully, but have suffered from allergy problems such as hayfever, hives, allergic and exercise induced asthma, food intolerances coupled with lots of stomach problems.

I found HOMEOPATHY very helpful and following treatment am now 100% better.

Acupuncture could also be helpful too and really helped initially with my breathing problems and asthma. It helped me ditch my inhaler after the first few treatments and taught me to breathe more deeply from my belly rather than from my chest. I followed this up with the homeopathic treatment which was great.

I have just looked it up and if you have some other allergies then one of the largest remedies for itching within the ear such as you describe is a remedy called NUX-VOMICA, closely followed by one called SILICA. Nux Vomica may be better though, as it is a remedy with an affinity for the liver and is therefore very good for allergy type problems, where the liver can be involved.

Good luck

Old 09-03-2003, 08:03 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

Want 2 B Well HB User
I don't know if you still suffer from inner ear itchness but I still do and as of recent I was able to get some relief from my ENT. She gave me a cortisone shot (my ears were red and itchy) and then I was re-tested for my allergies. She told me that molds are now being thought of as the culprit. I have had more molds added to my serum and I am hoping for improvement.
Thanks for the other tips!

[This message has been edited by Want 2 B Well (edited 09-03-2003).]
Quit smoking June 3 2003
Will be 39 in Feb.
Scared to turn 40

I am a work in progress...

Old 09-03-2003, 09:14 PM   #4
(female)

Laney00 HB User
I get this inner ear itchiness also. Sometimes I use a Qtip but never put it in as far as my eardrum, besides, whenever I resort to a Qtip , my skin in ear hole gets irritated and ends up hurting AND itching.
one reason I've noticed my ears itching is due to "oral allergy syndrome" After I eat some raw veggies, fruits or nuts, my entire mouth gets itchy and also my ears...does this happen to you ever?

Old 09-04-2003, 03:55 PM   #5
Inactive

scb411 HB User
I usually post on the asthma board, but I do have allergies, and the only way that I know they are acting up is if my ears are itching. I also had chronic ear infections when I was a kid. I did learn that nasal rinses helped my allergies symptoms go down.(I didn't know that I had them until a wise allergist recommended testing!)

Old 11-17-2004, 11:58 AM   #6

auntiviviansect HB User
Re: Inner Ear Itchiness: An Untold Story

i was searching for simlilar symptoms to mine when i ran across your post.
i too experience middle ear itchiness..
it is often triggered by god knows what.

if i drink hot fluids it makes it happen too.

then i have to sit and and itch the back of my throat with my tongue, and it sort of helps, but not entirely.
i tried the many insertibles to the ear also.
pretty darn annoying.

Old 11-17-2004, 01:59 PM   #7
(female)

ahimsa HB User

This caught my eye. I used to have this years ago when I was in college. I called it "itchy throat". It used to happen mostly at night, and I would usually have itchy eyes and itchy/sneezy nose too. 3 years ago, when I was first RAST tested due to hives, I came back positive for dust mites. It made perfect sense when I rememberd back to my itchy throat days. I was a very bad housekeeper back then.

I had it mildly/moderately, so was never motivated to treat it. But I do remember kind of scratching it with my own throat/tongue - it made a funny sound. And I would stick the tip of my little finger in my ear and wiggle it - that would help.

I only rarely get it now. And it doesn't last very long. Good luck to those of you who have severe cases of this. Seems just as miserable and maddening as hives.

Old 11-17-2004, 06:41 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Midget HB User

Usually, my ears are mostly stuffy, and hurting because of fluid in them, not very itchy. But yeah, sometimes they are itchy...heh.

Old 11-18-2004, 08:31 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

rush_rulz HB User

My inner ear itches a lot, these last few sinus infections I've gotten seem to have triggered it and it hasn't totally went away--although antibiotics did lesson it some--but the doc at school told me to just leave it alone, no Q-tips or anything, but I just had to use one on both ears the other day (Just one was infected when I was diagnosed with my sinus infection), and it seems that dried blood is coming out of it. The Dr noticed blood in the ear and that's why she said it was infected but shouldn't it be gone by now? I've been off the antibiotics for over 3 weeks!

Closed Thread