It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2003, 06:31 PM   #1

Chrislynn HB User
Unhappy How Helpful are these Boards, Really?

Just a general question here. I have posted several questions on a few of these boards and I think I learned one or two things that I did not already know. Most of the time, no one evens replies to my posts. It is hard to believe that there are so many people accessing these boards each day and not ONE person knows anything about what I am asking. Maybe most people are just reading and are not members.

It's too bad because I really like the setup of these boards. They are easy to read and use. They are much better than some other leading name health message boards. But I fear I will have to resort to the other "not so easy to read" boards because I am just not getting much feedback here. Just wondering if anyone else feels the same way. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/yawn.gif

Old 09-19-2003, 07:24 PM   #2
Inactive

n7ynk HB User
:WAVE:
Try "Deviated Septom and Allergies?"
Cannot help you with accupuncture for allergies
Never heard of Eyebright.
But there is some info above about the Grossnan irrigator .... this stuff works awesome......

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2003, 08:34 PM   #3

Chrislynn HB User
n7ynk-

Hi there. Yes I have read about the Grossan Irrigator I believe this is the pulsatile nasal irrigation that I posted about several days ago and 26 people viewed it but no one replied so I figured no one knew anything about it.

This is the the nasal irrigation system that sells online for $89.95 - $100.00 right? It looks like a water pik with attachments? I have been skeptical about purchasing this until I talked to real people who have used it and have benefited from it. I am skeptical about the testimonials on the website for the product because how do I know those are real people, ya know what I mean?

What were your main symptoms and how did the Grossan Irrigator help you? Thanks.

Old 09-20-2003, 03:43 AM   #4
Inactive

n7ynk HB User
I personally use the plastic syringe, but I wanted to point you to that topic as there were a bunch of information on the Grossan unit. Look for "N7YNK" post there as I have alot of info on how I use it, how it works and how wonderful I feel becasue of it.
Makes me think why more allergists don't tell you about irrigating as soon as you walk in the door, guess they want to make some money on you 1st.

Old 09-20-2003, 08:22 PM   #5
(female)

plm HB User
I agree with you about the boards. There is one message on here (just a few below yours) that has been viewed 1252 times and has 17 replies.

A lot of people search on keywords on the internet, and find these discussion boards. But they aren't interested in participating, they just look at the question because it came up in their search. Then they leave.

It's a shame. I find it very helpful to talk with real people who have the same questions and problems I do. I find out a lot of information on message boards. Too bad more people don't stick around and participate.

Old 09-26-2003, 05:46 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

Bothrops HB User
Cool

I feel the same way, you have to relize that everyone here is trying to find out what is ailing them. We all want answers and alot of us our selfish in that we wont respond to others. Also there are alot of people that want to help but simply dont know what the answer is.

I can tell you what good the boards are. For me great, I never knew a healthy person could wake up one morning dizzy and spaced out. Before I found these boards I thought I was the only person on earth that felt this way and I knew I was going to die. It is a relief to know that you are not the only one.

We are not doctors, you will not get cured. The boards are helpful in that you can get tips from people who have been through it. You can compare symptoms to help narrow down your diagnosis.

The one thing I hate is the fact that some people are so selfish that after they get there diagnosis you never here from them again. The person gets on with there life and is witholding info that we could use to help save time and money.

What I really hate is Doctors. There was a time when Dr's were caring people, they wanted to help people feel better and if these boards and computers would have exsisted in those times there would be doctors answering our questions. I am sure doctors come here, not to help us but themselves. If a Doctor reads this prove to me that the reason you spent 8 years of collage was to help people and not yourself.

Sorry about that, had to vent. It just sickens me to know that the three people we should most trust, our goverment, doctors and preachers are in fact the most untrusting people on the planet.

Derek

Old 09-26-2003, 10:12 AM   #7
Inactive

pw47 HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by Bothrops:
I feel the same way, you have to relize that everyone here is trying to find out what is ailing them. We all want answers and alot of us our selfish in that we wont respond to others. Also there are alot of people that want to help but simply dont know what the answer is.

I can tell you what good the boards are. For me great, I never knew a healthy person could wake up one morning dizzy and spaced out. Before I found these boards I thought I was the only person on earth that felt this way and I knew I was going to die. It is a relief to know that you are not the only one.

We are not doctors, you will not get cured. The boards are helpful in that you can get tips from people who have been through it. You can compare symptoms to help narrow down your diagnosis.

The one thing I hate is the fact that some people are so selfish that after they get there diagnosis you never here from them again. The person gets on with there life and is witholding info that we could use to help save time and money.

What I really hate is Doctors. There was a time when Dr's were caring people, they wanted to help people feel better and if these boards and computers would have exsisted in those times there would be doctors answering our questions. I am sure doctors come here, not to help us but themselves. If a Doctor reads this prove to me that the reason you spent 8 years of collage was to help people and not yourself.

Sorry about that, had to vent. It just sickens me to know that the three people we should most trust, our goverment, doctors and preachers are in fact the most untrusting people on the planet.

Derek

Hi Derek
I agree with what you say here. These boards are helpful for people to share stories, ask questions about certain things like conditions, meds, alternatives, etc. and often more importantly, just to know that there are others who feel the same way. I don't think anyone should tell others what to do or not do, take or not take, etc. but it can be very helpful if someone posts about what did or did not work for them personally, or they may offer suggestions to others about various approaches or ideas. Beyond that, it's strictly up to the individual to make their own decisions. Often, a post will receive no replies and that's fine if no one knows about the topic or question asked; I'd rather someone not reply at all rather than post inaccurate or unhelpful information. When it comes to medical issues, the internet and these boards can be very helpful and informative, as long as everyone keeps it in perspective and is courteous and thoughtful in their postings; however, if one tends toward hypochondria or excessive worry, they might worry even more if they look up symptoms and if people post things that could create more anxiety for them. So everyone should consider such things when posting. The best thing to do is post about what you yourself have learned or experienced.

It's a shame that more and more doctors have become untrustworthy - you're right in that doctors should care solely about what's in the best interest of the patient, but like most everything in the world today, it's all about money. They are overloading their schedules, and patients pay the price by either long waits in the office or having to wait days or weeks for an appointment, and then feeling that the doctor can't or won't take sufficient time to spend with them and address their specific issues. There are qualified and professional doctors around, but it can become very frustrating for people who can't find anyone who will help them. (I also agree about the government/religion, but that would be a really, really long post! :mad

That's just my two cents worth ~
Peace ~

Old 09-27-2003, 11:06 AM   #8

Chrislynn HB User
Smile

Hi Derek and pw47.

I agree with both of you that doctors are not that helpful and most of them do not sincerely care for their patients. They only care about their family and the money they make with their snappy 5 minute diagnosis and then writing a script and off you go usually with no cure for your condition. It is so pathetic. These GPs really irritate me. Since they do not specialize in one thing, they see people all day for a variety of conditions and usually it all comes down to a few things... either it's a virus, allergies or a cold, I could diagnose that myself and save the $15 co pay for a bottle of vitamins.

Hence the reason I am here, I do not want to go to a medical doctor. Therefore, I come to these boards to see if others share my condition and to find out if anyone else is treating the same condition I have naturally without doctors as doctors have not helped me in the least. (at least for my post nasal drip).

I am spreading my posts around to other boards here such as the alternative medicine board. I have actually found some people that are very helpful over there and am starting to have a more positive outlook about these boards. I found on this allergy board that many people seem to be "white coat happy" and I cannot take that route for my post nasal drip.

Closed Thread