It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2003, 04:20 PM   #1

Flower_03 HB User
Post Weird itchy spots on legs-is this an allergy???

I recently moved house a few months ago- and since moving, I have started getting a lot of mosquito/insect looking bites on my legs- and as a result my legs are REALLY gross. It usually happens while i'm sleeping in bed- not every night, but at least once a week. (sometimes 4 or 5 appear overnight) I've never experienced this before.

Initially i thought it was just insect bites- they are red and bit swollen and itchy. But i've been spraying my room, the house with insecticides and it doesn't seem to work.

Could this be an allergy of some sort?Hives? I'm pretty stressed -could this be the cause? I'm the only one in the house getting these weird bites!
Please help

Old 09-26-2003, 06:21 PM   #2

mitchell4 HB User
My daughter had the same thing going on about a month ago. She was the ONLY one in the house that had gotten them. I wish I could give you some advice on what they are, but I even took my daughter to the DR. and they couldn't even tell me what they were. They spread though and she kept on getting them for about 2 weeks. They were NOT chicken pox, and I guess if they were some kind of bug bite, then why didn't the rest of us get them and why are you the only one in your house getting them? Weird. I never was able to figure out what they were or where they were coming from. My only advice I could give you is to try benadryl. It will take some of the itch away. I'm sorry I have no idea what they are. No one I knew could give me any answers about them either. One of those wierd things, I guess.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2003, 07:52 PM   #3

gailski98 HB User
The first thing i thought about was chiggers or scabies.Chiggers are tiny red mites that live on grasses. they jump on when you walk by. they itch like crazy, and youll see small red sores.kwell is usually prescribed. scabies, a small mite related to the chigger, also causes intense itching. They leave small bumps (burrows), unsually in a line. intense itching could cover up the telltale burrows.They have nothing to do with hygene. they occur in the best of families and neighborhoods. They are easily spread from person to person or by contact of areas where they could be dwelling, such as bedding and clothing. I think kwell could also be used for these, and all clothing/bedding/towels washed in the hottest water possible. let it soak for a half hour before the cycle.use bleach, if you can.
the bite of a bedbug, which are related to lice, will leave a firm bump, usually 2-3 bumps clustered together. itching can be intense, and cause blisters. these bugs spend most time in cracks/crevaces, and come out to feed (at nite) when your in bed, for only 10-15 minutes at a time, on human blood. catching these pests out in the open is very difficult. i think insceticide is used in this situation.
maybe you could look these different pests up on the internet.
lastly, poison ivy, impetigo (infection from contact with bacteria) fleas, (which can live without a host for along long time while they wait for a new one to come along) and chemical rashes could be considered as well.

Old 09-27-2003, 06:46 PM   #4

Flower_03 HB User
Question

Gailski98, out of all your suggestions- i was thinking maybe it could be bedbugs. I'm not sure about fleas, cos we don't have any pets. I don't see any burrows, so i don't think scabies.

I was wondering if the bed bugs live in mattresses or in the cracks of bedframes? I live in a house that has all timber floors and a timber-frame bed.. would that make the problem worse? I don't understand where they are coming from and why they're here! I guess if i just try again with spraying insecticides in my room (incl bed) and the whole house (esp in cracks)and maybe outside the house- it may help. It's weird cos I don't get bitten every night and its nearly always on my legs- not on my arms. Do you know of any reason in particur why bed bugs hang around some houses and not others? Thanks for your help.

Old 09-28-2003, 06:45 AM   #5

aragan68 HB User
Just something to throw in, we were in a rental house for several months while waiting to get into our house. Our youngest son started getting bites all over him. There were fleas in the house, and they were only biting him. They didn't bother the rest of us. I did several bombs, and sprayed the carpet with spray from the vet. My point being that some people are more suseptible to reactions to different insects. Hope you feel better soon.

------------------
Alisa

Old 09-28-2003, 10:16 PM   #6

Flower_03 HB User
Aragan68, I was just wondering if you ACTUALLY saw fleas in the house? My problem is that i never see any insects, that's why i don't know what's going on. I used a flea bomb in my room- maybe i should do it again and also i think it would be better if i treated the WHOLE house with the flea bomb.
Did the problem go away and how long did it take you?

Old 11-19-2003, 05:54 PM   #7

jenakiss HB User
I have been having the same problem about 3 weeks ago my legs started getting little red bumps spread out on my legs only about maybe 5 per leg I guess and they itch like crazy! It's so annoying and I washed my bed sheets and still happened but, for the past two nights my legs haven't been itching because I used anti-itch cream on them every morning. Now, my arms itch a little and my chest right below my neck. I have been freaking out b/c I have no idea what this is, thought it could be chiggers too but, dont' know. Tried switching soaps too. Anyway, if you find anything out please let me know. Thanks!

Old 11-21-2003, 10:53 AM   #8

Merv HB User
Talking Re: Weird itchy spots on legs-is this an allergy???

Hi Everyone,
Thankful to find this thread. I have read from the beginning. This is the exact thing happening to just me (two others live in my apartment).
This first started in spring & continues today except whatever it is, is affected by the cold weather plus freezing rain & low temps. here in Oregon. So on these days I am much more comfortable.
I went through the whole routine. Flea sprays, powders, apt. professionally sprayed covered everything & moved out for a day. This all lasted at the longest three weeks. Then they returned, I say they cuz Im not sure either what the ---- they are. Heres the wierd part I live on the third or top floor of an apartment bld. Three flights up! The only pets I have are a cockatiel & a parakeet. Jay Bird & Barney. Great friends!
They strike my legs and make small itchie bumps usually not much higher then waist. They do not like Deet or Avon Skin soft bug repellant. Thank God. Vacuuming helps for about a day. They also live in my clothes i think. In clean sox drawer?? When i put on clean sox in morning i can really feel them. A tickeling sensation then it starts to burn & itch right away. The only thing i see are small black dots on legs??
Any advise, ideas appreciated,
Merv

Closed Thread