It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2003, 04:39 PM   #1

thewind HB User
Question Questions for people allergic to milk

I'm not sure if I'm allergic to milk, but I think I may be. I have dark circles under my eyes and my nose starts to run a tiny bit after having just a little milk in my cereal. I also have some other little skin symptoms that come and go, some that only recently started, some that have been off and on for a few years, eventhough I never generally had any problems with my skin before. I'm not able to go to an allergist at this time. So I wanted to ask anyone who is allergic to milk, what symptoms did you experience? Does it help to drink lactose free milk? And did you notice a general overall improvement in your health when you eliminated milk? Thanks for your help!

Old 10-02-2003, 04:44 PM   #2

kjd HB User
I was allergic to milk as a child (children usually grow out of milk allergy). My symptoms then were overproduction of mucus (chest and nasal congestion). I'm not sure if adult symptoms are the same, but some diligent searching on Google or maybe these forums would probably uncover some answers.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2003, 05:33 PM   #3

imsotired HB User
I am very familiar with milk allergy in children but not so much with adults, but I hope this helps....

My daughter was diagnosed with a milk allergy at 6 mos old. Milk products caused severe ezcema on her face, and inside bends of elbows and knees as wel as severe constipation. Her allergist told us (when she was three) that the reason she had to use soy milk and not goats' or lacto-free was that with an ALLERGY, it is the enzyme produced by cows in milk (similar in goats) that one is allergic too not the lactose. In LACTO-INTOLERANT people, an intolerance in the bowels to lactose causes gas, bloating, pain, bowel irregularity, but it is not an ALLERGY, so just by changing types or even brands of milk may help.

If it is an allergy that you are experiencing, your symptoms will not go away just by using lacto-free. You'll have to go strickly soy. If they do improve by switching to lacto-free, it is just lactose intolerance and can be easily avoided with Dairy-Ease pill and lacto-free milk. If neither of these works, I'd try searching elsewhere for the cause. BTW- is there a history of milk-allergy (or any food allergy or asthma) in you family?

Old 10-03-2003, 06:09 AM   #4
Inactive

n7ynk HB User
http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/blob_fire.gif
Yes! There is a cure for adult dairy allergies. I have had dairy allergies all my life, but they really kicked in at age 42. I was miserable. I went the dairy free diet, was difficult at best. Milk is in almost everything. Even allegra, gel form (lactose). Casseinate was the worst for me, which is a by product of the milk process. Pepsi has milk in it! Anything with caramel has milk in it. Meats can be tenderized with milk, it sucks. Even "Veggie cheeese" has casseinate. I ate mostly at home, made home made breads, drank soy milk etc. But.....then I stumbled on to this:
My allergist recommended nasal irrigation. Within 24 hours I was eating Ben and Jerry's ice cream and chesse cake! A friend of mine who has severe dairy allergy, same thing happened, so I am not the only one this happened too. She could eat dairy again overnight! I use to get the runny nose, sneezing, persistant skin rash, irritability, then anxiety, restless sleeping.
I used nasline, a 60CC syringe which you fill with salt water to irrigate your nose. I use 2 cups of warm filtered tap water & mix 1/2 tsp of noniodized salt water & 1/4 tsp of fresh baking soda. I irrigate each side 3 time for a total of 6. I look forward to it everyday, until you try it it appears to be the most awful thing you could try. It is just the opposite, fantastic!
I started this in May 03 & have taken tylenol sinus twice when I was camping and the wind was blowing dust everywhere. Otherwise no meds. No running nose, no skin rashes, and I eat anything I want everyday. I can drink a glass of milk, eat cheese, go to any restaurant and not have to worry about an allergy attack.
I am so glad I can share this with someone who is suffering similar symptoms. There is hope. Nasaline costs around $20. It is inexpensive. There are others too, the key is to irrigate with enough water to get the gunk out. Good luck. David

Old 10-03-2003, 11:02 AM   #5
Veteran

ladybug _crazy HB Userladybug _crazy HB Userladybug _crazy HB Userladybug _crazy HB User
i am both lactose intolerant and allergic to milk so i have to cut out both. my allergy symptoms range from sneezing, watery eyes, excess mucus to hives...the symptoms from the lactose are totally different and much more severe...from those i get severe cramping and diarrhea. so with both of those problems i can't have anything with milk or lactose... like one poster mentioned even small pills and seemingly non-dairy things can make you quite sick. since i have 100% cut out dairy my life is soooo much better!

[This message has been edited by ladybug _crazy (edited 10-03-2003).]

Old 10-03-2003, 05:35 PM   #6

thewind HB User
Talking

Thanks for all of the help! I'm not even completely sure if I am allergic to milk, but I'm going to try to not drink any for a while and see what happens. My symptoms are not as bad as you described David, but perhaps they could get worse if I don't stop drinking milk now? Is it possible that I've always been slightly allergic to milk but didn't know it? Because I have had the dark circles since around 13 years old or so (they aren't REALLY dark, but still make me suspicious that I have an allergy), and plus eventhough I haven't had any major problems with my skin, it has always been sensitive, sometimes breaking out in splotches or getting red ears, things like that. More recently for a few years I've had sebhorreic dermatitis on my scalp, it comes and goes. Did anyone here experience that too? And every now and then I only recently started to get a little red patch above each of my elbows, below each knee and ankles, and one on my thumb below the knuckle. I don't have those skin things going on at the moment, except on my thumb a little redness is there, but I thought it was very odd that I started getting that all of a sudden, and never had before. I'm 23 now, so maybe it's possible that I've had it all along and it's getting worse now. And actually for six months or so I was hardly ever drinking milk at all and then a couple of months ago I started eating much more cereal with milk, probably everyday, and I think that is when everything started getting worse! But I don't seem to react bad to ice cream or most other dairy products, at least I don't think I do. I'm not sure if I should try the nasal irrigation, do you know exactly why that helps? Honestly, I don't even know if I would do it all the time, unless things got really bad. I'm glad it is helping for you though, maybe I will try it someday if things get bad! Maybe it will help for now if I just replace milk with soy milk and I'll see what happens from there.... Well thanks again for the replies!

[This message has been edited by thewind (edited 10-03-2003).]

Closed Thread