It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2003, 03:03 AM   #1

Tigrazhia HB User
Post Shampoo Allergies... What ingredient is bad?

Hello everyone :-)

A few years ago I started developing an allergy to shampoos & the kind of hairproducts sold at salons. It has become pretty bad over the years, and if I use the wrong shampoo my head itches so bad I'll scratch it till it bleeds, my neck & backside is red & itchy.

Shampoos that don't seem to affect me are Herbal Essence, Fruktis & generally the kind of shampoos I buy at the natural health store (the herb shampoos).

I was wondering if anybody knows what exactly it is in the shampoos that triggers allergies like that? What's in Pantene & even Dove (which is a mild shampoo & I thought that one would be fine but it still brought an allergic reaction out) that's NOT in Herbal Essence?

I don't know if anybody knows the answer, but I figured I could ask in case someone with this same allergy knew exactly what to look for on the shampoo bottles. I'm tired of buying new shampoos just to find out I can't use them (altho now I only buy Herbal Essence & herbal shampoos)

Thanks for any insight :-)

Tig

Old 09-17-2003, 03:26 PM   #2

JessicaMarie HB User
Exclamation

I have had the same reactions to shampoos that you described in your post. I noticed it first when using Panteen ProV and have since tried many shampoos only to find they also make me break out and itch. However, Herbal Essances also caused me to break out whereas you said it worked for you. I am not sure but I believe that it is chlorine in the shampoos that causes my break outs because I have similar symptoms when swimming. Pretty much every shampoo and conditioner I have found contain some form of the element but it may be something else. If you find out of find any other shampoos or conditioners that work for you please let me know. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2003, 10:39 PM   #3

Tigrazhia HB User
It could perhaps be chlorin, I swim a lot & usually it's fine but I have noticed slight rash on my back once in awhile after swimming.

I've also thought it could be the perfumes they use in the shampoos, as most the ones that bother me are the ones that smell really strong.

As for shampoo brands, the most reliable ones have been the ones that I've bought in healthfood stores.

Here are a couple of brands
(To moderators, I hope it's ok to list a couple of brands to help other people with shampoo allergies):

Nature's Gate (I REALLY love this one, I usually get the Aloe Vera one or Rainwater, but I'm sure they're all good)

JASON (the A has a curl above it and the O has two dots)

I also belive "Burt's Bees" has a shampoo that I used once & it didn't bother me, but the two above I've been 100% happy with.
I'm sure there are other herbal shampoos that are good, just check your local farmer's market, trader joes or other stores around you that sell natural products & herbal products

Good luck

Old 09-24-2003, 11:54 AM   #4
(female)

palominogirl HB User
I am allergic to just about all shampoo, conditioner, and any other hair product on the market. It's so frustrating. I buy plain avocado oil at the health food store in the food section. I rub it on my hair before I shampoo. I stocked up on all the old bottles of Aussie Moist shampoo when I realized they had "improved the formula" a few years ago. Which of course I was allergic to. I think it is the new preservatives they all use that causes the allergies because it seems to be in everything I try.

Old 09-24-2003, 02:08 PM   #5

CapsFan HB User
I had a friend in college who had shampoo allergies. Something about the form of vitamin C they add to most of them. She was able to use Infusium products without having a reaction.

There are several brands out there designed for people who have scalp allergies triggered by shampoos. J.R. Liggetts is a bar shampoo that's completely natural that you may be able to find at a health store.

There's also a product called Quorum that's designed for scalp allergy sufferers, but it may only be in Canada.

Old 09-25-2003, 12:09 AM   #6

Tigrazhia HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by palominogirl:
I am allergic to just about all shampoo, conditioner, and any other hair product on the market. It's so frustrating. I buy plain avocado oil at the health food store in the food section. I rub it on my hair before I shampoo.

Does that help against the allergies?

Old 10-05-2003, 10:12 AM   #7
(female)

panzees HB User
Several weeks ago I broke out in hives on my head,forehead and back of neck.I also had an itchy rash on other areas of my body.I went to the dr. and was told that it was most likely an allergic reaction to my shampoo even though I had been using it for years.It was in a larger bottle and the packaging was a little different.I have never had anything like this happen before.

Old 11-13-2003, 11:56 AM   #8
Mara

Sometimes they change the formula. Fragrance, dye and other chemicals. The patch test (the ones placed on the back) test for specifics but there are more specific tests than that. I know someone who had a small skin irritation by the eye for over a year whom had the patch test and others which were negative accept for a reaction to the tape adhesive they used to hold the patches on! There are so many chemicals used today it must be hard to keep up to speed-knowing who is reacting to what agent. It's like a merry-go-round. I have had to avoid soaps and use d*ve for sensitive skin and avoid fragranced products to fight the reaction. When that is too much-I suppose oatmeal will be next. When that does not help I go to Cetaphil.

I'm definately pro-homeopathic therapys but if a product does not require FDA approval or if there is limited or no standard or guidelines in place for maintaining product content integrety-Who will let us know what products are substandard? Like anything else it's a profitable industry. It's hard. Fragrance free talc and or cornstarch has been useful. I look like a powdered donut after a shower Take Care, G

Last edited by Gemi; 11-13-2003 at 12:17 PM.

Closed Thread