It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2003, 09:33 AM   #1

wendypicnic HB User
Post Post nasal drip= nausea ...any advice?

Hi,
I wish my allergies had me sneezing, but they don't, rather they create post nasal drip and make me nauseous and unable to eat....especially when I am around mold or consume sugar or milk....(which I am avoiding for the present.)

Does anyone have any good ideas? I have heard both sudafed and benadryl mentioned as 2 different possibilities ...but they do different things...which have you found is best for PND?

Thanks!

Old 10-03-2003, 10:18 AM   #2

LarLarz HB User
Hi. Believe me, I know the feeling. PND 24/7. I know I don't have a sinus infection bc it is not yellow or green. My head just cloggs up like a brick during the night and then all day...horrible PND..only on one side though. Last month I was nauseas all the time and throwing up every day. Not sure what caused it to stop, except the fact that I started to spit it out at all possible opportunities. (gross, I know!) I tried using Benedryl which knocked me out and sudaphed which made me all wiry. Now I am trying Flonase to see how that helps. No strong side effects except poss. sore throat and headache. I guess I would say for now if staying away from sugar and milk ..(I know it is hard for me bc I like to drink tea w/milk and sugar) but I would say to keep doing what you are doing if it is helping, at least until u can find something else that works. Wish I could be of more help. Hope u are PND free soon!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2003, 11:47 AM   #3

cshore HB User
I also suffer from post nasal drip... and went to see an allerigst... I am on Allegra.. which seems to help.. and I also take Bendryl which also helps. I kind of alternate so I won't become immune to them. I just started this about a 2 mos ago. I also take Nasonex.
It is awful but I finally found something that helps somewhat.
Good Luck!!
C.

Old 10-03-2003, 12:10 PM   #4

zzzzlady HB User
What about an antihistimine? Isn't that suppose to stop the drippings? Sudafed is a decongestant, but I would imagine you'd need something like a Claritin-D which has both antimistimine (to dry you up) and a decongestant (to unclog you).

As far as the nausea, if you will go to your local healthstore and get ginger tea......pure ginger tea. Don't get that sugary diluted stuff. Get the pure ginger, it will eliminate that nausea dead in it's tracks. Ginger ale is too weak and doesn't have a large enough amt of ginger in it. Please try it, it works !!

Good luck,
Cathy

Old 10-03-2003, 01:14 PM   #5

wendypicnic HB User
Thanks to all who have helped. I will get the Ginger tea..I assume I should boil water, steep it, and then I should drink it with no sugar?

I am still torn between sudafed and benaryl...will try each and see what works best.
Thanks!

PS Does this tea work for other causes of nausea? or just PND nausea?

Old 10-03-2003, 01:14 PM   #6

wendypicnic HB User
Thanks to all who have helped. I will get the Ginger tea..I assume I should boil water, steep it, and then I should drink it with no sugar?

I am still torn between sudafed and benaryl...will try each and see what works best.
Thanks!

PS Does this tea work for other causes of nausea? or just PND nausea?

Old 10-03-2003, 02:38 PM   #7

zzzzlady HB User
Wendypicnic,
The ginger tea is great for ALL types of nausea. You should boil water for an 8 oz serving, and steep it for about 10 minutes. It would be better with no sugar, but if you just must have it sweetened, use stevia. It doesn't affect your body like regular table sugar, and it's just as sweet. You can get that at the Health store as well. It really does work, and I hope you start to feel better soon. Nausea is just the one thing I absolutely CANNOT handle.

Good luck, write again if you need more info.

Cathy

Old 10-04-2003, 09:48 AM   #8

Chrislynn HB User
Wow, every day I see more people complaining about PND. I hardly no anyone around my area who has it, except for my mom. My b/f has never had it! What a lucky duck.

Well, I do have it and it is running my life! I have had it for 1.5 years. It used to come for 3 weeks and leave for 2 months now for the past 3 mos. it has been going strong 24/7.

I understand about the nausea, I experience that quite often. I have found that drinking lots of water, also green tea helps me. Keeping something in my stomach throughout the day such as crackers or bread helps the nausea too. I also agree that ginger tea is excellent as well. Also try to cough up the stuff as often as possible to prevent it from getting to your stomach.

I have used Allegra, Claritin, Clarinex Zyrtec, (these pricey drugs did nothing!) Benadryl was the most effective for about 6 months and then it stopped working.

Forget the nasal sprays, they do more damage than good. They temporarily shrink the nasal lining covering your turbinates (turbinates are large scrolls of bone on the side walls of your nose. The turbinate bone is covered w/ a pink nasal lining w/ many large blood vessels). The nasal sprays temporarily shrink the blood vessels in your turbinates, so you can breathe better through your nose for the time being, then eventually the turbinates swell up and are worse than before. However, I never got relief from nasal sprays at all (I specifically used Rhinocort).

I am trying out some herbal supplements to try to alleviate the PND. Specifically Eyebright. I also read that Barley Green and Colloidal Silver may help the PND but I have taken the silver with no results, I may be trying the Barley Green soon.

I also use a neti pot with a baking soda/salt solution with no real results either. It does feel good to clean your nasal passages out though.

Sorry about the long post- But I feel as though I can write a book about PND!

[This message has been edited by Chrislynn (edited 10-04-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Chrislynn (edited 10-04-2003).]

Old 10-04-2003, 02:11 PM   #9

zzzzlady HB User
Hello Chrislynn,
I'd like to ask you a few questions about your comments on the nasal sprays you've used. I've done a small amt of research and discovered that the nasal sprays that have steroids in them have better effect on shrinking the swollen nasal passages than the OTC sprays with just plain saline and other meds. Do you not find that to be the case? Is the Rhinocort a steroid nasal spray? My dr has prescribed Nasacort AQ and it seems to be helping for now. I certainly don't want to experience a worst swelling after using this spray. It has really helped to open up my swollen tissues. I hadn't slept in 3 nights before getting the spray. I don't intend to use this spray for a long while.

I, too, am trying to control these allergy problems with herbs. I'm taking quercetin, bromelein, and a Enzymatic Therapy combo of herbs called SinuCheck. It is designed to shrink swollen passages while healing the tissues in the nose. The quercetin is functions like a natural antihistimine to control the allergic response in the first place. So hopefully I won't have to reply on these sprays for a long period of time....just to get me over the hump...allergy season.

Thanks for your post !

Cathy

Old 10-04-2003, 04:21 PM   #10

Chrislynn HB User
Hi Cathy-

Yes, Rhinocort Aqua is a steroid nasal spray (budesonide). I had read that nasal sprays shrink the nasal membranes but after prolonged use can actually have a reverse effect and swell them back up. I guess I thought it was all nasal sprays but upon further research I have read that prescription steroid nasal sprays are designed for long term use and are quite safe.

This was taken from the Afrin website.

"Afrin has been approved by the FDA since 1964, and if used as directed is a safe and effective way to temporarily treat your nasal congestion".

The key word is "temporarily". The problem with these OTC nasal sprays is they are vasoconstricting in that they temporarily help but over use causes what is called "rebound vasodilation"

So it appears that the OTC nasal sprays are the ones that are damaging. Hmmmm, well I still was disappointed in the Rhinocort Aqua because it did not stop my post nasal drip like the doctor said it would.

I have heard of Sinucheck but am concerned about Bromelain because I read the side effects and one of them was irregular heart beat. What are you using the nasal spray for exactly, congestion or post nasal drip?

Old 10-04-2003, 06:42 PM   #11

wendypicnic HB User
Thanks everybody...I should add that my PND also sometimes starts when I am tired and sleepy...or just after I've had a sugary drink or ice cream...so lots of things can set it off in addition to allergies.
weird!
Thanks!

Old 10-06-2003, 02:52 PM   #12

zzzzlady HB User
Chrislynn,
Thanks for all the info.

I'm using the Nasacort AQ for swollen tissues and nasal polyps. I also have post-nasal drip and a lot of drainage. I am on day 3 now and I can breath very very clearly now and have no dripping. I don't want to do this everyday from now on tho because I don't know what the repercussions may be later in life. I'm into the herbal remedies. I didn't know that bromelein caused palpatations. I'll try and look into that. I've never had that symptom. But thanks for the insight.

Keep me posted on whatever else you may hear. I have an appt with my dr on the 30th of this month, and i'll ask his opinion, too, about the long-term use of the sprays. I'm sure he'll say it's okay since dr don't have a clue as to what's healthy for our bodies long term.

Cathy

Old 10-06-2003, 06:15 PM   #13

LarLarz HB User
I quit smoking yesterday (was smoking a pack a day) and the PND got 90% better. So if anyone here smokes and has PND that could be one of the main culprits.

Closed Thread