It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2003, 04:26 PM   #1
(female)

ebrbetty HB User
Question thick mucus, is this an allergy

hi all, I have very thick mucus in my throat that never goes away. It just sits in my throat [right side] no matter what I do I can't swallow it down,it's to thick and seems to get stuck in the same spot. My Ent thinks it's stomach acid from my Gerd. my gastro Dr. says no way. My family Dr. thinks it might be allergies. I can't afford to get tested for food allergies.
has anyone had/have this problem?
thank-you
Betty

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2003, 06:36 AM   #2

TaniaF HB User
Yes, Yes, Yes, and I'm really frustrated about this.
I have bad PND, and my Gastro at first said it was post nasal drip causing my slight sore throat, bad breath and queasy stomach. I'm the one that questioned GERD. So at this point, I'm taking Prevacid and zantac for GERD, Nasalcort AQ and Allegra. I'm trying to treat both and see what happens. I also question a white coated tongue; if this is allergy, thrush, PND or GERD.
Tania

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2003, 03:50 PM   #3
(female)

ebrbetty HB User
I find it to be very frustrating, When it gets really bad i evd up having panic attacks because it is so bad.
if i can get it out into a tissue it looks so thick and like little bb's. gross!
i had a 24 hour probe done yesterday to see if it's acid, will get results next week.
take care, betty
p.s. do you have days when it's not too bad than bam one swallow and its really bad for the rest of the day? it just won't go down?

Old 10-10-2003, 04:02 PM   #4

TaniaF HB User
There were days that I thought my throat was closing because of that feeling. And yes, I panic too. My allergist said to take Guaifenssin to thin out the mucus so it will pass more freely. My problem is that I can't really cough it up, it goes down my throat from Post nasal drip. "YUK". That's why I'm not sure if my mucus is really the PND or GERD.

Old 10-10-2003, 04:32 PM   #5
(female)

ebrbetty HB User
thats why I had the 24 hor probe done, hopefully it will answer some questions.
part of me thinks It may be a food sensitivity. hubby and I went out to breakfast this morning and after that the mucus got worse, but I can't afford to get tested.

Old 10-11-2003, 09:35 PM   #6

turl HB User
I've had the PND feeling for about 6 years now. When I figured out what was causing it (perfumes, chemical smells, etc.) and started avoiding those things, it ceased being a daily pain and only a nuisance. But, lately, it's back all the time :-(. I can't cough anything up, can't swallow "it" down, can't blow it out my nose.....aaarrrgh. No medicine makes it better. My theory, after much research, is that it's Candida (for me, anyway)--it involves the mucousal areas. It came on within a year of some really powerful antibiotics for bronchitis (and a lifetime diet high in sugar and processed foods). Somes foods seem to make it worse like mushrooms (mold--candida feeds on mold/yeast/sugar!). I also read that some foods are mucous forming......maybe that can cause excess mucous in some people. I've recently cleaned up my diet and have introduced some "natural" antifungals hoping to clear this up. So far, not much good. One thing I haven't tried is nasal irrigation. Don't know if it'd help with my problem being in the back of the throat, but it can't hurt to try. I never thought about it being related to digestion, but that's something for me to think about now too.

Old 10-12-2003, 06:10 AM   #7
(female)

ebrbetty HB User
i haven't had any luck w/ using a nasal rinse.
i was on antibiotics too for 5 months because of a sinus infection.
for me the worst part is that it won't go down, as the day goes on it becomes painful. i find it hard to concentate on anything else.

Old 11-13-2003, 12:28 PM   #8
Mara

When my mucus is thick (hanging around despite swallowing) I need extra fluids to help thin out secretions. Nasal and broncial. When it is thick in the back of the throat I gargle (for some time) with warm salt water and repeat several times for as many days as it takes. It's one way that helps me with the etd congestion. Take Care, G

Closed Thread