It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2003, 07:40 AM   #1

kami-girl HB User
Post Long term use of flonase?

Has anyone been using Flonase for a long time? I have been using it 2x per day for the past 2 years. Lately I have been cutting back because I'm not sure if it can be harmful ever though the Dr. says no.
Would appreciate any replies,

Grace

Old 10-21-2003, 04:11 PM   #2
(female)

steph1pk HB User
Hi,
I have also been using Flonase for over a year and a half. I too am skeptical, but I have also heard that it is safe - that it does not get absorbed into the bloodstream. I am still not thrilled to be taking it long-term.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2003, 04:14 PM   #3
(female)

steph1pk HB User
Hi,
I have also been using Flonase for over a year and a half. I too am skeptical, but I have also heard that it is safe - that it does not get absorbed into the bloodstream. I am still not thrilled to be taking it long-term.

Old 11-12-2003, 12:57 PM   #4
Mara

I took Flonase for a few years. There was something I read back then about a content in the product that naturally occurs in the body, so that made me feel better about using it. When I ran out I did not ask for a refill & used over the counter sprays, eventually tapering down to saline. As I am more concerned about cross contamination and spraying into the sinus. I have a history of some nasty uri's and decided this method is not the answer for me. I wanted to try something else and did. I think Flonase is a good & effective product. I take medication for something else and it does contain and anti histamine so I don't need another medication. I had allergy shots for a while but I did not continue that for various reasons. You could research the product. Before I take a medication, I read through the info packet. It gives a lot of info and the chemical composition. Since there is no cure (accept avoidance and living in a bubble) this is what we have. There is the homeopathic route When I am very congested I take my medication and rub a small amount of Menthol/Eucalyptus by the collarbone/chest which helps clear my nasal sinus passage so I can breath through my nose. Before all that I used to use the vicks stick (inhale it through nostril) Take Care, G

Last edited by Gemi; 11-12-2003 at 01:01 PM.

Old 11-13-2003, 12:44 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Divermon HB User
Quote:
Originally Posted by steph1pk
.... that it does not get absorbed into the bloodstream ....
I copied the following from an FDA site:

"Indirect calculations indicate that fluticasone propionate delivered by the intranasal route has an absolute bioavailability averaging less than 2%. After intranasal treatment of patients with allergic rhinitis for 3 weeks, fluticasone propionate plasma concentrations were above the level of detection (50 pg/mL) only when recommended doses were exceeded and then only in occasional samples at low plasma levels."

If I read that right, Flonase does not get appreciably absorbed into the bloodstream, unless you use more than you are supposed to. If it did get into the bloodstream, then I would think it would effect your coltisol levels.

I don't know if there is any long term effect on the nasal passages.

Old 11-14-2003, 06:44 AM   #6

pd50 HB User
I just found out this information and this ingredient is in the flonase I use. I called my ENT this morning and asked to be put on Rhinocort AQ because it does not contain this type preservative. Here is the info. I found.
[url]http://my.*****.com/content/article/32/1728_79718[/url]

Closed Thread