It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2003, 03:41 PM   #1

dustin1234 HB User
Post Brain Fog?

I heard someone claim they had the symptom of "brain fog"... and that hit home as a perfect explanation of how I have been feeling. Someone also said they felt like a "retard" which is another good explanation of how I feel.

I am no longer as dizzy/nauseated as I once was, so I guess these syptoms are more acceptable and maybe are a good indicator that whatever I had is finally going away. But in any case does anyone else out there have "brain fog" or feel "slow."

Its very odd and hard to describe, but I feel "slow," but I know that I am not. Its almost "surreal." Like I can see what is going on around me, but my brain just feels locked up and... well... and SLOW. I don't know... hopefully it will go away soon, but just in case anyone else has gotten this feeling before it would be nice to read about what helped you. Because I dislike very much feeling this dumb

Dustin

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2003, 07:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Bothrops HB User
Six weeks straight 24/7 for me. Started as vertigo went
to dizzy now I am lightheaded. Since the begining I have been foggy. I tell people that, and they have no idea what I am talking about. So then I will go through the list, foggy, spacy, sedated, altered perceptions, lit, its like living in a dream{nightmare}.My dizziness may be leting up but the spaciness is still here and to me it is worse.
Does your fogginess ever make you anxious or freak you out around people. That happens to me and it sucks. I hate this feeling, I miss work, I miss having a good time with my family. I am only 34, have no insurance and spent over 2 grand. It SUCKS!. I would rather have 2 broke legs, they would have healed by now.
Oh well I hope you feel better, I hope I feel better and I wish all doctors would stop worying about the mortgage payment on there 4 million dollor house and start worying about us.
P.S. Sorry for sounding so ******.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2003, 02:19 PM   #3

dustin1234 HB User
Finally someone else with the same thing Or at least some of the same symptoms. My vertigo/dizziness/naseau were never unbearable... they always kinda felt like getting car sick (which I use to get when I was younger), but I did always feel "spacy" the entire day and never really wanted to do much physically or with fiends because I either felt that "exercise" would make me unbearably dizzy and I simply felt like a retard around people because I was "foggy." It seems to be getting alittle better now that I am back up North, but the foggy brain is still there and I most definitely feel stupid around people It takes all my gumption just to tell myself that I am not truly as dumb as I feel I don't know if you can relate to that or not but another example is that life kind of does feel like a dream... or that I am in someone else looking out. That probably sounds even stranger yet

Well anyway, considering I no longer really get dizzy or nauseated like I did earlier and I think I am starting to maybe even get some drainage out of my eustachian tubes hopefully I will be completely normal soon and I won't have to feel like a slow retard for the rest of my life. Keep me posted on how you are feeling... it has been almost two months for me now... luckily I am still on spring break and have a chance to get better before school starts because I also can't concentrate worth a darn. Oh yeah is that one thing you notice too? Because I think my symptoms are getting better, but at the same time I am just soooo sick of feeling this way that I can't enjoy anything because I always have this foggy feeling?

Sorry to hear that you have spent $2000. That sucks. I have spent a couple hundred but that is only because my mom has connections with doctors and chiropractors. Which actually reminds me that in case you have'nt tried it a chiropractor might actually help. I have heard of a couple cases where people have been dizzy and nauseated simply because a couple vertebrae in their upper neck went out of place and blocked up their eustachian tubes... this approach did'nt have the "shock" effect on me... but maybe it just needs time

As far as your broken leg comment I hear ya. I recently saw the movie SWAT and found myself wishing I had been shot because at least I could heal up and then feel normal again Morbid thought is'nt it?

Good luck, keep posting if you have any ideas (other than antiobiotics, penecilan, niacin supplements, chiropractor visits, nose drops, chlorphen, or claritin D)... its nice to hear others have the same problem

Dustin

P.S. I also don't have health insurance, but I am going to purchase a plan that starts on September 1st (offered through my college).

Old 08-14-2003, 10:19 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

Bothrops HB User
Cool

Have you ever felt this way before coming to the Carolinas. The reason I ask is because here in SC we have had more rainfall this spring and summer than the last five years combined. I relly think the weather is to blame. Back to the fog, kinda makes you feel stupid like a high on marijuana way. Has it screwed up your eyes. My eyes always feel tired, its like they dont focus fast enough.
Well have A good summer and keep in touch.

Last edited by Administrator; 04-23-2012 at 06:36 PM.

Old 08-15-2003, 09:33 AM   #5

dustin1234 HB User
Nope... never have had this feeling ever in my life... and yes I most definitely blame Mount Airy, NC I got this feeling a couple weeks after being there and yes it rained everyday I was there except for 2. I also looked up allergies on a nation map because my doctor in Mount Airy said that allergies are awful in that area and that I probably got a sinus infection from them, and sure enough the map showed a high high high concentration of allergies in that area... so hopefully that is what I have and its on its way out of my system, cause I sure would appreciate feeling normal. I think we are the only two people ever to have these syptoms

Dustin

Old 08-15-2003, 09:35 AM   #6

dustin1234 HB User
I don't really think it has affected my eyes to much. A few weeks ago when I was more "dizzy" than "spacy" sometimes things I was focusing on seemed to be "shaking," but I kinda just assumed that that went hand in hand with the nausea and dizzy feeling.

Do your ears have a "full" feeling as well?

Dustin

Old 08-16-2003, 12:09 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

Bothrops HB User
Yes my ears feel very full, and I have a dry semi-stuffy nose. I also get sinus headaches and sometimes I feel this weird poping in the sinus cavity at the bridge of my nose, like the swelling is going down and it is starting to open back up.

Do you know if sinusitis causes the dizzies. Also we are not alone, just visit the inner ear board. I think everyone there is dizzy and spaced out.

Also, sorry for not responding sooner I got the WORM VIRUS and had to clear my hard drive.

Old 08-16-2003, 02:59 PM   #8

dustin1234 HB User
Wow we have the exact same thing I think. I also get sinus type headaches lately (temple pressure pain...etc.) and the dry sometimes stuffy nose. I've kinda been glad for the sinus type headaches though because its better than the complete dizzy thing. I do not get the popping thing however..... but I lately have been having more "drainage" into my throat... so I am hoping that is "guck" moving on out.

Sorry if this message does'nt makes much sense but I have to get to a fantasy football draft in a league that I run so I don't have time to make sense Then again it could just be because I have a screwed up head Either way I gotta run. Talk to you later. Congrats on getting rid of the worm

Dustin

Old 08-21-2003, 02:04 PM   #9

Rhino83 HB User
Hi Guys. I was just reading all the posts you have put up, and I wanted to let you know that you are definitely not the only ones dealing with this kind of stuff. I've had pretty much the exact same symptoms for quite awhile now. The fullness feeling in the ears and head, the spacey brain fog, trouble with memory, etc. I posted some things on this board last fall, (I think it was in the fall...this "condition" doesn't really allow me to be sure) and I think I called it chronic lightheadedness, if you want to check it out. Basically, I've been dealing with this stuff for going on 4 years now, and to say the least, it's been frustrating and depressing...and that's quite an understatement. I've had 2 MRIs of the head, and a CT of the sinus, all coming back normal. I just recently saw a sinus doctor, and he looked in my nose with this long, needle-type scope and said that the tissue is all swollen and it's very congested in there. Why the hell didn't the scans show that, that's what I wanna know! So anyway, he wants to do a sleep study on me, because he thinks I may have sleep apnea. I mean, I'm gonna give it a shot, because I've had my back up against the wall for so long, but it's not until October, and it's hard to have the patience, you know?

The spaciness got really bad last summer, right around this time, and it hasn't come down since. I've been going to this allergy clinic out here in Chicago for a little bit, and they found out I have many allergies, and the reactions to testing on the skin are pretty strong. I really don't show much of an orthodox reaction in my body when I come into contact with these allergens in the real world, such as sneezing, or itching or stuff like that. That's why I really wonder if all this is just a weird allergic reaction. I don't know...I just want it to go away, that's all.

I know exactly what you guys are going through. I mean, I just turned 20...I've been dealing with this stuff since I was in high school, and I'm going into my 3rd year of college. The hardest thing is getting people to understand that you really have a physical problem...I mean, I always think the doctors think I'm making this up somehow, like I'm a hypochondriac or something, and I hate feeling like I'm crazy or stupid somehow, because I'm not. I know something really is wrong, and it's frustrating not getting an answer. And it's scary feeling like I have no control over it. I've hung in here long enough, and I know we'll find the answer someday. For me, keeping up hope has been the hardest thing, but just knowing that I'm not the only one makes me feel a little better, you know?

I know I'm long winded, but I've got alot to say about this stuff, but I'll just save it for future posts.

I did want to ask you guys if you have any visual floaters or specks that you see in your in your field of vision. I guess I'll leave it at that. I wish you guys the best of luck, and keep me posted if you find anything that works, and I'll definitely let you know if I find any relief with it. Take care!

Ryan

Old 08-26-2003, 06:39 PM   #10

dustin1234 HB User
Well I think I will stop posting on here because I believe I violated a rule or something (I was banned for awhile). So I wish you all the best and best of luck with your conditions... maybe we can still post on here if its no so often? I do believe/hope my problem is clearing up because my only real symptom left is the clogged ears... which is really really annoying... but at least I can concentrate better now.

Dustin

Old 08-26-2003, 09:02 PM   #11
Senior Veteran

Bothrops HB User
Hey Ryan,
I have not had any visual problems other than just tired eyes. I am glad that Dustin is feeling better cant say I am, maybe I should get out of the Carolinas for a while. I hate to here someone 20 years of age is going through this crap, I could not imagine going to school feeling this way. Hell, I hav'nt worked for two months. The anxiety from it all is killing me, does the fogginess make you anxious or panicky. Sleep apnia, I never heard of that causing dizziness/fogginess 24/7. Hey if its the right diagnosis please let me know. I have given up on docs for a while, just trying differant things and takin notes. Hopfully I can figure it out and beat it on my own. I don't even know what board to go to. I am here, inner ears and panic disorders. That is my diagnosis, so far, thats kinda funny because I was dizzy and foggy before I ever had panic problems. Oh well you know how the docs are, there are 20 people waiting in line after you.

Keep in touch, Derek

Old 09-06-2003, 04:59 PM   #12

avril HB User
Hi Everyone,

Wow, I've been on the internet for weeks, trying to find out what's going on with me, and this page is the first thing I've really been able to relate to. It's at least nice to know I'm not the only one out there going through this, although of course I'm sorry the rest of you are as well. Anyway, I started having these symptoms about two months ago-"staticky" vision and brain fog-at the worst it feels like things going on around me are just a bit surreal. I had bad vertigo, but that's going away. Now, I've got the "brain fog" and staticky (for lack of a better word) vision. I've also had bad frequent pressure headaches,and my ears won't stop popping. Over the last few weeks, I've started to feel a lot of anxiety around this, which probably makes it worse! I've felt very panicky at times. Of course, mention this to a DR. and all of the sudden, you've got an anxiety disorder, case closed...I've never had anxiety or depression or anything remotely like this before. I know its something else. I've always been very on top of things, have a great job, marraige and social life-and they almost seem a bit overwhelming now at times now. Anyway, I've written long enough-I'm going for an MRI Monday, but I'm sure it'll give little clues. Can you guys relate....and do the cognitive symptoms/anxiety seem to come in waves?

Old 09-06-2003, 07:10 PM   #13
Senior Veteran

Bothrops HB User
I can relate, I told my wife that I was going to break down and tell the Dr. that this spaced out feeling I got is causing extream anxiety. And what do you know, he diagnosed me with anxiety disorder and put me on paxil. At first the paxil made it worse but it is starting to help the anxiety part. As for my other symptoms the paxil is doing nothing and now I have just found out that I could suffer side effects when quiting this drug. The funny thing(not so funny) is all of this CRAP that I have been suffering from for the last 3 months hit me 2 days after going off of a drug called acephix and protonix for heartburn and acid reflux. Every Dr. I have seen I have told this to and none of them think that the drugs were the cause. Well I think they were, I know my body well enough and I also no that other than acid refux and one cold every two years is all the problems I have ever had.
As for your question yes the anxiety would come in waves and whenever it hits me I get headaches and neckaches, tingly sensations in my arms and legs, and sometimes flushing.
My dizziness stated out as vertigo then dizziness then lightheadedness and now it is like an eye caused lightheadedness. My eyes are tired and dont focus as fast as normal. All of my senses are altered, at least I am not as dizzy.
You will get better, it may take a month or two just hang in there and think positive, dont get depressed or anxious it will make it worse. I have noticed that hot showers in the morning make me feel bad the whole day so I shower at night now and also if I get anxious one day my ears feel real full the next, does this happen to you.
I dont think this is an allergy thing it is probally inner ear so if you wanna hang with more people that are feeling this way go to inner ear board.
Sorry for the life story, if you get a diagnosis please let me know, good luck on gettig better.

Derek

Old 09-07-2003, 02:19 AM   #14
(male)

Lectus HB User
Exclamation

Wow... This is probably the first brain fog thread I've seen where it all clicks for me.

I'm having trouble figuring out all I'm going to say and sorting it out in my head, so I'll just recall the sequence of events leading to my fogginess as well as I can.

It all started with symptoms that began appearing exactly one year ago. At first nothing was happening that indicated something was wrong with me neurologically. I began this pattern where I'd wake up in a panic. Everytime I felt myself falling asleep I thought was going to suffocate. Then I began having trouble reading, small problems comprehention. NOthing too debilitating. Then, one night in october, I was on the computer playing a game or writing something (I can't remember clearly), and a flash of light zapped from the left side of my field of vision, through to the right. From then on I've felt like my mind is half asleep, and all of my creative energy and (it seems) motivation to even think is gone.

For a few weeks after that I had massive headaches that felt like head fevers; it was as though certain areas under my scalp were being eaten alive by little fleas. Vertigo was also a big problem for me during these episodes, and though Advil helped a little with the pain, but didn't help at all with the vertigo. My will to do chores, or anything productive, sunk during these periods. After these episodes would subside, I occasionally had these little 'floaters' or small specs of white light within the field of my vision that would appear and then quickly trail off into the periphery.

After a while, these symptoms sort of disappeared, though I still felt like I was at half mental capacity. I still sometimes have pressure and a weird feeling along my scalp, like there's a dead weight in my brain, and this weird drainage at the back of my throat... I feel fluids, and sometimes what feels like mucus, coming out of the rear of my nasal passage. But for now, that's the extent of the physical symptoms, other than the headaches I get when I'm stressed or frustrated.

As for my mental capacity... bleh. It's been blown since december. I feel like a complete moron. Sometimes I'll see something, and it'll register, but I won't be able to put it into words. That really hurts because I used to be a prolific writer. When I sit down to write something, my mind is always a blank. I can type and superficially write down words that make sense together, but something just doesn't click, my engine never gets going about it. Reading is even worse. Before all of this happened, I could look at a block of text, and have it read and fully comprehended within a few seconds. Now I have to take my time, let each word sink in, and even then I have to comprehend what significance the words have when grouped next to each other. It's hard for my (that's another thing... Sometimes I have a mistype that replaces me with my... sorry) to explain it better than that, but I guess that's just the fog. The first time I began to realise how impaired I was (cognitively), was when I tried to learn a photo-editing program at christmas. Usually, The learning process was intuitive for me. I could look at a program and have half of it figured out from the get go. But with the brain fog, I could only learn bit by bit, by exploring, which was so boring for me that I almost gave up.

I can definitely relate to the eagerness of doctors to confuse the symptoms with the disease, as far as anxiety/depression is concerned. While I have had problems with avoidance and social anxiety, all that I had been through just didn't click with that. The vertigo, the nausea, the tangible decline in mental ability... It just seems unreal that anxiety could bring all of that on so quickly. But I'm still not sure. At any rate, the doctor prescribed zoloft to see if that helped. Of course, it helped me face my fear of public places, but I still felt like a dummy... in fact, the drug only seemed to make it worse. I'm off it now (Went cold turkey, which I realise now was a mistake) and have an appointment with a psychiatrist in october. I'm really not sure if this is going to help, or if my brain fog truly is caused by depression... I just dont have the medical insurance or money (I lost my last, steady job a couple year ago and havent held a job for long since due to the social anxiety) for an mri or other scan.

I could use some advice for how to get insurance, job, get this brain fog lifted if you guys would offer any. At this point, as far as I've fallen, I'm ready to try anything to get back to my former self. If I had a full recovery I'd be in absolute heaven.

I have more to say, but what I've written already will probably take time to decipher and absorb... I feel so disorganised writing this.

------------------
In a way, doctors are worse than Lawyers; Lawyers can screw you with your own stupidity. Doctors screw you with their stupidity.

Old 09-12-2003, 12:10 PM   #15

dustin1234 HB User
Nice to see that this thread has continued on in my abscence My symptoms are still very slowly decreasing but the same ol feeling of pressure in my ears is still there and I am 100% convinced that there is some infection up in my eustachian tubes that was not affected at all by antibiotics and penecilan. I feel much better when my ears feel "less full" and much worse when they feel "very full." I finally will be seeing a specialist soon and I was kinda hoping he would be able to stick a little camera up into my eustachian tubes and see if they are swollen... cause that is sure what it feels like. And I know for certain that if my eustachian tubes felt normal everything else would as well.

I have heard sooooo many things that variouis people say it can be, so I have sorta lost hope that any of them could be correct. All I know is that I want to feel normal again!!

Dustin

Closed Thread