It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2003, 01:45 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 42
perfix HB User
I have this terrible smell from my nose

Still seeking for help. I have a terrible smell from my nose, really bad. Seems like I have always mucus in my throat. My gp said to take a sinus scan, did so and that was clear. If I put my finger in one of my nose holes it smells realy bad, sometimes I have taste it too but the smell is most prominent in my nose.
Sometimes I also spit out very sticky mucus, which has exactly the same smell. During the winter it is often blood thinged. My nose is always congested and I have many tonsil stones. Are both connected? Many thanks. Are normal tonsils supposed to be visible? I don't think mine are very huge, about an inch in length but they are full of holes.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 12-07-2003, 05:25 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 80
pd50 HB User
Re: I have this terrible smell from my nose

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfix
Still seeking for help. I have a terrible smell from my nose, really bad. Seems like I have always mucus in my throat. My gp said to take a sinus scan, did so and that was clear. If I put my finger in one of my nose holes it smells realy bad, sometimes I have taste it too but the smell is most prominent in my nose.
Sometimes I also spit out very sticky mucus, which has exactly the same smell. During the winter it is often blood thinged. My nose is always congested and I have many tonsil stones. Are both connected? Many thanks. Are normal tonsils supposed to be visible? I don't think mine are very huge, about an inch in length but they are full of holes.
It is best to see an ENT for this. If your nose is bleeding then that could be why the odor. If you have thick drainage that could indicate a sinus infection. I would go see an ENT. I woudn't go to a GP for sinus an ENT will be more helpful.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 12-07-2003, 09:57 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 54
tiggerbengal HB User
Re: I have this terrible smell from my nose

Quote:
Originally Posted by pd50
It is best to see an ENT for this. If your nose is bleeding then that could be why the odor. If you have thick drainage that could indicate a sinus infection. I would go see an ENT. I woudn't go to a GP for sinus an ENT will be more helpful.
Go to an ENT! I had/have the same thing you are talking about, except its been like this for a few years. I just had sinus surgery on the 19th because there were fluids in my sinuses, even after being on various antibiotics. I still have it after the surgery, but the ENT says I need to be more patient and let my nose heal. What does the smell smell and taste like?

 
Old 12-08-2003, 04:59 AM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 42
perfix HB User
Re: I have this terrible smell from my nose

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggerbengal
Go to an ENT! I had/have the same thing you are talking about, except its been like this for a few years. I just had sinus surgery on the 19th because there were fluids in my sinuses, even after being on various antibiotics. I still have it after the surgery, but the ENT says I need to be more patient and let my nose heal. What does the smell smell and taste like?
Hi all. First, this mucus with blood smells exactly the same as my nose. It forms somewhere where my nose meets throat. It is very sticky. Much more stickier then green mucus one has with a normal cold or the flu. My symptoms seems to better during the summer and get realy bad when either the weather is very cold, the room I am in is very dry or when I have the flu.
My sinues are clear, so could it be that it's still a sinus problem?
The smell is hard to describe. It has a kind of a foul odor and it is very strong. The smell can stay in my nose for quite a while. I will see an ent but if I had a sinus infection I am sure the scan would have shown.

 
Old 12-11-2003, 01:58 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 19
SydneyP HB User
Re: I have this terrible smell from my nose

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfix
Hi all. First, this mucus with blood smells exactly the same as my nose.
Usually if there is a foul smell emanating from your mucus membranes, there is infection (bad breath can come from infected gums or sinus infections, UTI urine smells foul, my mom could even smell our ear infections when we were kids.) I wouldn't assume that a clear scan would mean there is no infection. Maybe they should culture your mucus and see what grows.

 
Old 12-12-2003, 05:22 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 42
perfix HB User
Re: I have this terrible smell from my nose

Thanks. It all started after a stupid cold a long time ago. Now my symptoms are like: many tonsil stones, congested nose, always lots of phlegm in throat, sometimes scratchy throat, compressed mucus... but the biggest problem is my nose. The smell is awful. I know I have bad breath but the smell is completely different. I wonder which infection it could if sinues are clear. As I can sniff the mucus to my throat I can often taste it too.

 
Old 12-12-2003, 07:22 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 54
tiggerbengal HB User
Re: I have this terrible smell from my nose

I have the same thing... Go to another ENT doctor. I had a cyst removed that was trapping mucous and junk .... The thing was huge from what my ENT told me.. if you put your index finger and thumb and make a circle, that is how big it was. I still have the odor, but he told me it will take time to get rid of it. In the meantime, I am doing irrigation once a week. It could be possible that you have a fungus.

 
Old 12-24-2003, 04:23 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 29
Aurashim HB User
Re: I have this terrible smell from my nose

Maybe you have an acid reflux problem? My son had that, and we never knew until he had a camera put in his throat to discover why he was hoarse a lot, and now he doesn't have asthma, and doesn't have so much nasal congestion in the mornings, and the sinus scan did not show anything for him either. Just a wild guess! If reflux could cause asthma, and cause stuffiness, it might be making your smell.


Quote:
Originally Posted by perfix
Still seeking for help. I have a terrible smell from my nose, really bad. Seems like I have always mucus in my throat. My gp said to take a sinus scan, did so and that was clear. If I put my finger in one of my nose holes it smells realy bad, sometimes I have taste it too but the smell is most prominent in my nose.
Sometimes I also spit out very sticky mucus, which has exactly the same smell. During the winter it is often blood thinged. My nose is always congested and I have many tonsil stones. Are both connected? Many thanks. Are normal tonsils supposed to be visible? I don't think mine are very huge, about an inch in length but they are full of holes.

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Anyone ever heard of this unusual symptom?? pectin232 Ear, Nose & Throat 9 12-25-2009 12:24 AM
Allergy shots and sense of smell question ? allergies4me Allergies 6 09-03-2008 11:12 AM
LPR and bad breath-Anyone have this problem? Crystalgray Acid Reflux / GERD 8 02-01-2007 10:21 PM
Bad Sense of Smell keyboardplaya Ear, Nose & Throat 1 01-16-2007 11:29 AM
Smell LadySaphira Open to All Other Health Topics 0 07-18-2006 12:38 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:12 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!