It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2003, 01:19 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

MrsLee HB User
Post Vasomotor Rhinitis Vs. Allergies

Does anyone have any information about vasomotor rhinitis? Apparently it is like having allergies, only you're not allergic to anything, just irritated by things around you, which causes swelling in the sinuses and other symptoms. I know this board is for those WITH allergies, but maybe some of you could have this condition instead or may know something about it?

I have a constantly stuffy, itchy nose, dry, irritated eyes, drainage down the back of my throat, crackling, full-feeling ears (leading to dizziness), and constant headaches. For years doctors have told me I have allergies and prescribed allergy medicines for me.

I got tired of taking them (as they do not work very well) and demanded to be tested for allergies. As I had always suspected, I am not allergic to anything (that they tested me for anyways). The Dr. just told me I have vasomotor rhinitis.

So I guess without having the actual skin test, there is no way to know if you have true allergies or not. I am actually a little disappointed that I don't have allergies, just because that means there is no way for me to find out what is making me feel sick. The doctor told me not to worry, that he has this condition too, and that it is a real disease. But I can't help question myself--maybe this is all in my head? How can I feel this bad and only have some obscure condition? Oh well, I am babbling....this is just a little depressing to have some disease I have never heard of that will never go away. But certainly, life could be MUCH worse than it is....

SO, anyways,if anyone has any information about vasomotor rhinitis, will you please please please share it with me?? Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2003, 06:23 PM   #2
Inactive

n7ynk HB User
I have never heard of vasomotor rhinitis, it sounds interesting. I can only relate to the irritability you described. I have eliminated my irritability I use to get with a totally new approach called nasal irrigation. Turns it off like a light switch.
I have been allergy drug free for almost 6 months! I irrigate twice sometimes three times a day. I use nasaline, a 60cc syringe with a special tip for irrigating. Around $20.
I first boil filtered tap water to kill all the bacteria present. After it cools, I mix 2 cups of warm (I use a mcirowave to get it warm again) filtered water with 1/2 tsp of noniodized sea salt with 1/4 tsp of baking soda. I irrigate three times each side and that uses all of the 2 cups of water.
My allergist recommended it to me and it has changed my life. I wish you well

Old 10-24-2003, 08:16 AM   #3

STAGRE HB User
I just saw your post about vasomotor rhinitis. This is a long post. That is what I have. I was first tested for allergies in 1997. The tests showed I was allergic to molds, mildews, dust mites, and dogs. I think the tests were off. It also showed I was not allergic to stinging insects and I have medical proof that I am. I took shots (4 per week) but they made me worse. Quit after a year. I have taken every allergy drug known. I was retested last year and none of the tests came back positive for allergens. These were all skin tests. About 100 or so in all. The doc told me that it was vasomotor. On good days I have no problems but on BAD days it is "nasty" I can't do ANYTHING because of my nose pouring like a faucet and sneezing. I counted over 100 sneezes one day. I went to an ENT at the urging of my family doctor. CT shows bad deviated septum and the ENT said that my turbinates looked awful. I am going in for surgery on the septum and turbinates in November. The ENT said it should help a lot with the allergies, headaches, congestion and whatever else. No guarantees but should help. I have heard good and bad about the turbinates but at this point I am willing to give it a try. I have ruptured a cervical disk(had ACDF) from so much sneezing. I think I am physically drained from these unknown allergies!!!

Old 10-24-2003, 03:47 PM   #4
(male)

lhacker HB User
Have you considered Volitile Organic Sensativities. resembles allergies, but, most allergy medacines don't help. If your immune system gets overloaded, abused, traumatized by one of these chemicals, you become sensative to even more. Many have no odor. I had a bad time for 9 months from hidden potpouri from AROMATIQUE. Allergist found no allergies, none of the medacines prescribed helped. But when we found and removed the bag of smells, my exploding headaches went away. These problems occured anywhere in the house, although I always felt worse in the living room. Even though the headaches went away, the congestion remained. Only indoors. As a result, I had to cancell the newspaper, found and removed mothballs in a sealed box stored in the garage. Found that Snuggles dryer softners were preventing my sleeping ( (my wife has always had a bad nighttime cough and it went away also.) I have taken some heavy doses of Ascorbic Acid - vitamin C and now take 500mg with every meal. This is supposed to desensatize the ImmoglobinG (in common allergies Immoglobin E is the histamine trigger) and after a month I am getting better - ie: less suseptable to chemicals/odors. Find I may go two or three days without a relapse.

Old 10-25-2003, 12:01 AM   #5

sneezyhedd HB User
Talking

PLEASE refer me to any info you have on this, how to broach the topic with my needle-wielding, drug-pushing allergist, and any thing you can tell me about this would be SO MUCH appreciated. I am desperate to kick this stuff to the curb for good! Any good docs in the LA area by chance? THANK YOU!

Quote:
Originally posted by n7ynk:
I have never heard of vasomotor rhinitis, it sounds interesting. I can only relate to the irritability you described. I have eliminated my irritability I use to get with a totally new approach called nasal irrigation. Turns it off like a light switch.
I have been allergy drug free for almost 6 months! I irrigate twice sometimes three times a day. I use nasaline, a 60cc syringe with a special tip for irrigating. Around $20.
I first boil filtered tap water to kill all the bacteria present. After it cools, I mix 2 cups of warm (I use a mcirowave to get it warm again) filtered water with 1/2 tsp of noniodized sea salt with 1/4 tsp of baking soda. I irrigate three times each side and that uses all of the 2 cups of water.
My allergist recommended it to me and it has changed my life. I wish you well

Old 10-28-2003, 02:03 AM   #6
Inactive

n7ynk HB User
http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dance.gif The process is great. I use nasaline a 60CC syringe that comes with a silicon tip that fits around your nose & prevents water from leaking out this one side. Around $23. Since then, I have replaced the syringes from animal health stores, I now use a 140CC syringe (5-$8)& irrigate my nose just once on each side.
I buy Real Salt, a sea salt that has no preservatives or processing. Other salts are bleached, refined, and filled with silicates (to prevent caking), dextrose (sugar), and other chemicals.
Right now I filter my tap water using a Brita attached to your faucet, then I boil it & let it cool. I leave the tea kettle on the stove all day & use it to irrigate with. I use 2 cups of water & warm it in the microwave. It needs to be close to your body temperature to be comfortable, not too cold or too hot.
I premix my salt & baking soda in those pill boxes that the lids open & close.
I mix 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt to 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda.
I mix the salt/baking soda in the prepared water & use the syringe to irrigate.
I take no medication for my allergies since May 03. I still sneeze in the morning when I 1st get up, so my allergies are controlled day to day but with amazing results.
Irrigating has stopped all my food allergies (dairy, chicken, & coffee). I can eat anything I want with no reactions as long as I irrigate twice a day.
A persistant skin rash I have had for years is gone. As soon as I irrigated, the skin stopped itching everyday.
My irritability with certain food reactions have stopped.
I can go to work all day & feel great. My nose is clear, I can breathe great. I have more energy than I have had in years. I cannot recommend irrigating enough to people. All my friends who try it, have had benefits, mostly great. It sounds awful, but is actually wonderful.
Another tip, keeping your mouth closed during irrigating is supppose to stop you from getting water into your ear canal.
Try this as it has great potential to change your life. I am the luckiest guy to find a natural way to live life again.

Old 10-28-2003, 06:42 PM   #7

Sophina HB User
I have became very chemically intolerant. My nose has swollen shut for years and I went to an allergist and no allergys. My nose swells shut,I get a horrible headache and nothing will help except Imitrex shots. I have had a continual headache for over 12 years. It never goes away, but gets worse when I eat or breathe chemicals. I have had three sinus surgeries just so I can breathe. I also lose part of my voice after a chemical exposure. I feel a heaviness in my lungs too.
The last three weeks it is effecting my ears. I have developed three different hums and rumblings in my right ear and the Audiologist says I have lost some of my low range hearing too. I personally feel the chemicals have caused me to develope an autoimmune disease that is attacking my respiratory system and other parts of my body.

Old 10-28-2003, 07:51 PM   #8

turl HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by Sophina:
I have became very chemically intolerant. My nose has swollen shut for years and I went to an allergist and no allergys. My nose swells shut,I get a horrible headache and nothing will help except Imitrex shots. I have had a continual headache for over 12 years. It never goes away, but gets worse when I eat or breathe chemicals. I have had three sinus surgeries just so I can breathe. I also lose part of my voice after a chemical exposure. I feel a heaviness in my lungs too.
The last three weeks it is effecting my ears. I have developed three different hums and rumblings in my right ear and the Audiologist says I have lost some of my low range hearing too. I personally feel the chemicals have caused me to develope an autoimmune disease that is attacking my respiratory system and other parts of my body.
Oh, gosh, Sophina! I feel for you....I have chemical sensitivities too, and while I consider myself ill sometimes, it doesn't sound as bad as you! Have you seen anyone about the environmental sensitivities? I've been wanting to go to a doctor about this, but knowing it's not allergies that I have, I figure I'd be wasting my money since I think the usual response is to avoid the offending irritant (yeah, right--in this day and age!). Mine started with me getting post nasal drip feeling from smelling perfumes, etc. Then it was contact dermatitis from my usual soaps, shampoos, dryer sheets, etc. (VERY itchy private parts). I did some research and concluded it was Candida that was the underlying culprit, so I cleaned up my diet and started on an anti-fungal. Well, I guess that is indeed what I have since it created a die-off....and now worsening symptoms, which I've been told is the yeast releasing their toxins when killed. I don't understand it all, though. Anyway, NOW I have constant swollen nasal passages to add to the list and a heavy feeling in my chest--makes me feel tired of breathing. All I want to do is breathe normally--I know you can relate. Lately, I too, seem to always have a headache. Even one ear is stuffy. Sounds a lot like you! If you'd care for a fellow chemical sensitivity penpal (suffer-pal), feel free to email me at [removed]
Take care,
Tabby

Last edited by moderator2; 11-19-2003 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Do not post contact information. This board is for anonymous use only.

Old 10-31-2003, 09:43 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

MrsLee HB User
Wow, I'm sorry to hear about what you are all going through! It's amazing how so many people can be suffering and none of these doctors can diagnose or treat it.

STAGRE--please, before you have the deviated septum surgery, do some research! I had the surgery 7/30/03, and it has not worked nearly as well as I expected it should. I can breath just a little better, but I really wish I would have tried some other options before haveing surgery. My nose is still stuffy all the time, and none of my other symtoms have gone away. I am not sure what turbinates are though.

I am going to look into the Volative Organic Sensativites. I have always known I am really sensitive to certain things, and perhaps some research into this topic will help me.

Sophina--I am sorry to hear of all your problems. I think you sound worse than me, but it is obvious that all these symptoms affect our quality of life. I too have constant headaches, although I have found that drinking A LOT of water helps with them. Lately my ears have been bothering me a lot.

I have been having ringing/buzzing/humming (hard to describe) in my ears that only really bothers me when it's quiet. It seems machines, especially the sound computers make when they are on really bothers me. Sometimes I wonder if I am just going crazy and this is all in my head. I really don't think it is though....arrrgh

Old 11-11-2003, 03:22 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Divermon HB User
n7ynk, when you irigate, is that just squirting the mixture into your nose, and letting it drain out, or are you going further up there?

Old 11-11-2003, 06:55 PM   #11
Senior Veteran

Bothrops HB User
Hi,
I found a site that you might want to check out. From what I read it seems to be very broad.

[url]http://www.medschool.lsumc.edu/otor/Vasorhi.htm[/url]

Could you tell me all of your symptoms and do they or did they ever include lightheadedness, spacy-foggy feeling and fullness in the ears.

Derek

Old 11-11-2003, 08:39 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

MrsLee HB User
HI Derek, I don;t know who's sypmtoms you want to hear, but I posted some in this thread already. I said before that I have a constantly stuffy, itchy nose, dry, irritated eyes, drainage down the back of my throat, crackling, full-feeling ears (leading to dizziness), and constant headaches. My headaches are mostly around my forehead and face. So , to answer your question, yes, I get lightheadedness, spacy-foggy feeling AND fullness in the ears.

I do not know if all of these symtoms are caused by my rhinitis. I have suspected that some are caused by my TMJ disorder. It is just so frustrating when doctors cannot tell you why you're sick all the time.

I checked out that website, and I thought it was pretty interesting.

Old 11-12-2003, 02:36 AM   #13

becky1954 HB User
I can relate to what you have been talking about. I have been to 3 allergy doctors. One doctor did a skin test and came up with about 5 or 6 things I was allergic to. But he is kind of a quack. I have gone to 2 others and they both used the same kind of skin test(a different one than the first doctor used) and found no allergies. They said I have non allergic rhinitis. Then tell me why my nose itches all the time. I am supposed to be sensitive to odors. And I have found that to be true. The last doctor I went to told me it walks like a duck and talks like a duck but it is not a duck. Meaning no allergies. He has me on Clarinex which helps some and 2 different nasal sprays. One is for itching and one is for stuffiness. I don't know what to do either.

Old 11-12-2003, 12:50 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

Divermon HB User
Becky, do either of those sprays help?

Old 11-12-2003, 03:48 PM   #15

becky1954 HB User
Astelin works for itchy nose but right now I have a sinus infection and bronchitis and nothing helps.

Last edited by becky1954; 11-12-2003 at 03:49 PM.

Closed Thread