It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2004, 12:58 PM   #1

maichim HB User
Allergic reaction to hotdogs?

Thought I'd try to help out a friend who had a scary episode last night. She ended up in the ER her face, eyes, swollen and her throat and nose closing up on her. This happened immediately after eating a hotdog, which she has done numerous times before. I've heard of seafood allergies coming on mid-age, but has anyone heard anything specific about hotdogs, or nitrates. It was pretty severe, they gave her epinehrine and an IV of a drug mix. She was better about 1/2 hour after the epinephrine was adminstered. She's OK today.

Old 01-05-2004, 06:16 PM   #2
(female)

pkpointe HB User
Re: Allergic reaction to hotdogs?

I have a similar allergy to nuts. seafood and shellfish are also common to have this kind of reaction on certain people. I suggest that she be allergy tested and she get a prescription epinephrine to carry in her purse. She may be allergic to some kind of seed on top or a nut may have come in contact with the hot dog

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2004, 06:51 AM   #3

maichim HB User

Thanks pkpoint. I think she is going for allergy testing. It also dawned on me that the ER doc should have checked her for bug bites. I think they can test for this as well. Good ideas...thanks again.

Old 01-06-2004, 02:06 PM   #4
Mara

Like already posted, sounds like it could have been a cross contaminate. She should definately be tested.

Old 01-06-2004, 04:32 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

snowmelts HB User

Actually I have to watch what brand of hotdog I eat as well as the brand of bun and the condiments too.
Artifical Color and artificial Flavor are just plain stuck in most of them (hotdogs, buns & condiments) She may have reacted to an ingrediant in any of those parts of the whole.

But I think it sounds more like a bug bite reaction or an allergy to something she inhaled than a food allergy reaction. But everyone is different and yes, adults can suddenly develope allergies.

Last edited by snowmelts; 01-06-2004 at 04:36 PM.

Old 01-07-2004, 04:16 AM   #6
(female)

badkat HB User

My son had similiar reaction, we had to go through food allergy testing-not only happened when he ate hotdogs. But he was allergic to Chicken. Although after two years he can now eat chicken in small doses. Definetly get tested.!!!

Good luck

Old 01-08-2004, 06:56 AM   #7

maichim HB User

Thanks for the information all of you. Sounds like a thorough allery test is the best at this point.

Old 01-08-2004, 02:02 PM   #8
(female)

frosty87 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by badkat
My son had similiar reaction, we had to go through food allergy testing-not only happened when he ate hotdogs. But he was allergic to Chicken. Although after two years he can now eat chicken in small doses. Definetly get tested.!!!

Good luck

My son is alergic to chicken also we have to be very carfull at picnics and if we can't verify what kind of hotdogs are being served we just avoid them altogether.

Closed Thread