It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2004, 07:11 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

MrsLee HB User
Scabs in nose

OK I know this is gross, but I thought since many of you have stuffy and/or runny noses you may get this too. For several months I have had scabs and blood when I blow my nose. It is always stuffy and sometimes I think all the scabs in my nose are contributing to it being stuffy. I blow at the very least one huge chunk of a scab out of my nose every day. They are mostly in one side of my nose. I don't get nosebleeds where blood is gushing, but my nose does bleed a little all day long. I am thinking about seeing my ENT, but he is an idiot (I know, time to get a new one). I don't know if this could be a sign of a more serious problem than just a dry nose. Is this something to be concerned about or can it be attributed to the cold dry air? Again I am so sorry for the disgusting details! Thanks in advance!

Old 01-06-2004, 08:53 AM   #2

Super123 HB User
Re: Scabs in nose

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLee
OK I know this is gross, but I thought since many of you have stuffy and/or runny noses you may get this too. For several months I have had scabs and blood when I blow my nose. It is always stuffy and sometimes I think all the scabs in my nose are contributing to it being stuffy. I blow at the very least one huge chunk of a scab out of my nose every day. They are mostly in one side of my nose. I don't get nosebleeds where blood is gushing, but my nose does bleed a little all day long. I am thinking about seeing my ENT, but he is an idiot (I know, time to get a new one). I don't know if this could be a sign of a more serious problem than just a dry nose. Is this something to be concerned about or can it be attributed to the cold dry air? Again I am so sorry for the disgusting details! Thanks in advance!
Could be dry air...also, could be if you have a deviated septum, as do I, that the turbulent airflow from the deviation is drying out the membranes, causing them to contract and tear. You could try spraying your nose to moisten the membranes, and/or try an ointment like boroleum or even vaseline to prevent drying.

I am not a medical doctor, but you may want to see one since there are several disorders that can cause bleeding tendencies in general. If you don't like your ENT, try and find another!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2004, 09:40 AM   #3

James123 HB User

Quote:
I have them almost constantly in my nose. I'm certain that mine are cold sores. And they spread! So, if you are going to remove a scab with your bare hand, make sure you do not touch anywhere else until you wash your hands.

I am convinced that I spread it from one nostril to the other because I frequently get them in both nostrils now. I also tend to get 3 cold sores a year on the outside of my nostril and on the corner of my lip.

Maybe these scabs are not cold sores, but don't take a chance. The stuff spreads like wildfire. WASH your hands.

Last edited by James123; 01-06-2004 at 09:40 AM.

Old 01-06-2004, 10:10 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by James123
I have them almost constantly in my nose. I'm certain that mine are cold sores. And they spread!
I don't know if this is similar.

Several years back, I got a hospital resistant infection in my nostrils from an oxygen line that was used on me in an ER. For two years, I had to keep it from spreading into my sinuses and throat, by placing a triple antibiotic cream inside my nose a couple of times per day.

I tried many other things to try and get rid of the infection but none helped. One day I ordered two homeopathic antibacterial ointments. The first one didn't do a thing, but the second one significantly dried out my nostrils, every where I placed it. After using it for just a few days, I stopped, and have never had to use anything else. Apparently, the resistant infection is gone, and has been for years. I figured that the organism that was in my nostrils had never encountered the osteopathic stuff, so it wasn't resistant to it.

Could yours be some type of resistant organism? If so, you might look into homeopathic anti-bacterial creams.

Are you still doing the "upside down sinus flooding"? Is it still helping? Any problems with it?

Regards......

The Following User Says Thank You to Machaon For This Useful Post:
bozo919 (02-04-2012)
Old 01-06-2004, 12:26 PM   #5

James123 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerzoids
I don't know if this is similar.

Several years back, I got a hospital resistant infection in my nostrils from an oxygen line that was used on me in an ER. For two years, I had to keep it from spreading into my sinuses and throat, by placing a triple antibiotic cream inside my nose a couple of times per day.

I tried many other things to try and get rid of the infection but none helped. One day I ordered two homeopathic antibacterial ointments. The first one didn't do a thing, but the second one significantly dried out my nostrils, every where I placed it. After using it for just a few days, I stopped, and have never had to use anything else. Apparently, the resistant infection is gone, and has been for years. I figured that the organism that was in my nostrils had never encountered the osteopathic stuff, so it wasn't resistant to it.

Could yours be some type of resistant organism? If so, you might look into homeopathic anti-bacterial creams.

Are you still doing the "upside down sinus flooding"? Is it still helping? Any problems with it?

Regards......
Thanks for the info. Yes, I'm still doing the irrigating. I think I'm getting over a cold, but my nostrils are still very clear as a result of the irrigating. I am not as fatigued as normal when I have a cold. I know the irrigations are doing wonders. No swelling anymore on my lymph node either! Yay.

Old 01-06-2004, 08:44 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

MrsLee HB User

Thanks everyone for your responses. I think it may be the dry air. I had a deviated septum correction surgery in July but I don't think it worked. I never get cold sores so I don't think it's those. I don't know about the infection idea, it's certainly a possibility. I have yet to try the upside down irrigation. I have tried the "upright" way and got water in my ears and that's about it. I guess you could say I'm a chicken! Thanks again!

Old 01-07-2004, 03:10 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
I have yet to try the upside down irrigation. I have tried the "upright" way and got water in my ears and that's about it. I guess you could say I'm a chicken! Thanks again!
I don't blame you for being nervous about the "upside down sinus flooding". Do you remember how you got water inside your ear from the "upright" irrigation? Were you somewhat upright, or were you leaning over the sink with your face down?

How long ago was that, and do you still have a pressure feeling in your ears? Does it get better over time?

Old 01-07-2004, 04:43 PM   #8
Veteran

reader1 HB User

I get this all the time either when I have a sinus infection or when the air is really cold and dry. So, since I've had 5 infections in the last 4 months, this has been going on about 4 months. Irrigating with salt water (whether I add baking soda or peroxide) helps a lot, although it doesn't totally prevent it. Once the weather warms up (and if i don't get any infections for a while) it goes away completely until the next time.

Yes, do get a new ENT.

Take care!

Old 01-07-2004, 05:04 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

MrsLee HB User

I think I was leaning forward just a little so the solution would drip into the sink. The last time I tried it was maybe three weeks ago. I feel pressure in my ears and they pop all the time. It has gotten a little better, but it is still driving me crazy. My ears used to feel like this all the time before I quit smoking, but after I quit they felt way better. Now after trying irrigation several times they feel bad again. That's why I am scared to try irrigation again; I don't want it to get worse.

Old 01-08-2004, 06:56 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
... Now after trying irrigation several times they feel bad again. That's why I am scared to try irrigation again; I don't want it to get worse.
I don't blame you for being nervous.

To me, if someone irrigates in a more upright position, and holds their breath so that they don't swallow the liquid, it puts their Eustachian Tubes more at risk. The safest position to do the normal type of irrigation would be with the face looking directly down at the sink. That way the ears and the Eustachian Tubes, which are near the back of the throat, somewhat directly across from the nostrils, would be up, and further away from the liquid.

In my update to my "upside down sinus flooding" I now suggest keeping the head in a less than vertical position, or more down on the forehead, and not on the very top of the head. That puts the Eustachian Tubes and the ears more above the liquid.

Have you ever had your Eustachian Tubes checked? They are supposed to be normally closed, so liquid can't get into them, except when someone swallows, coughs or yawns. Could yours be in a more open position?

Once again, I don't blame you for not wanting to try the "upside down sinus flooding". To me, the only way you should consider it, would be first checking with an ENT.

Regards, thanks for the response, and best of health for 2004!

Last edited by Machaon; 01-08-2004 at 08:38 AM.

Closed Thread