It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2004, 11:12 PM   #1

orange HB User
non allergic vasomotor rhinitis/ overly sensitive nose to odors

Anyone suffer from vasomotor rhintis? What really annoys me about this is how i constantly have a stuffy nose. I suffer from this which also makes my nose insanely overly sensitive to most odors, etc. Its bad to the point, where i'm always sniffing things, complainging, even with my cltohes about hte deterngent used or whatever that causes a freshness scent which bugs my nose. It reached the poinot where all perfumes bugs me, most strong odors, etc. Wahts wrong here, i've been to my allergist whom said i haven't reacted to anything so said i have non-allergic vasomotor rhinitis. I went to an ENT and he said the exact samethign and said a solution might hlep is surgery to decrease my turbinites (minor surgery) and the all or nothing surgery (to fix my deviated septum). Of course i choose the minor one which was to use lasers to reduce my turbinites which did nothing at all, when i came back in a few weeks he said chances are if this didn't result in major impovements a increased improvement, the major surgery for the deviated septum isn't going to work most likly. So i'm on nasarel which doens't seem to be working, and my ENT said my beset bet are nasal sprays like that but even that isn't going to really help. Anyone suffer from this awful problem like me and have any suggestions? I mean the ovelry sensitive nose is soo annoying, even my gf does all she can to try to help me by not wearing perfume, un-scented lotion, etc. Its gotten to the point where i have trouble sleeping in my room and prefer sleeping in teh living room because its more airy, etc.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2004, 12:30 PM   #2

becky1954 HB User
Re: non allergic vasomotor rhinitis/ overly sensitive nose to odors

i have the same thing.i didn't know it years ago when i had the surgery for my deviated septem.it worked for a long time and now i am having a horrible sinus infection that i cannot knock.i have taken 2 different antibiotics and am on steroids now.i have the sensitivity to odors thing.i mean speaking of orange i can't stand to smell oranges(the fruit)or microwaved popcorn gets to me or coffee.just normal stuff.it is really bad.i hate it.

Old 02-01-2004, 06:47 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User

My allergist says I have it. Other doctors I've seen don't believe in it - they say it just means you must be allergic to something they can't test for. One pointed out that there are thousands of allergens in the environment and they can only test for a few dozen.

One thing that's supposed to help is a saline nasal spray. They're non-addictive and all they do is sort of rinse your nose, so the irritants are flushed out. I haven't tried it - I have an aversion to putting things in my nose. My father usese it for his nosebleeds, though, and he seems to think it's painless.

Old 02-08-2004, 02:12 PM   #4

tiggerbengal HB User
Angry Re: non allergic vasomotor rhinitis/ overly sensitive nose to odors

Is your taste also affected by this? Both my smell and taste are affected .... it's horrible

Old 02-08-2004, 02:56 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggerbengal
Is your taste also affected by this? Both my smell and taste are affected .... it's horrible
Yes - most of your sense of taste is in your nose. If I eat really spicy food, I can't taste anything. I think it's because the strong smell or something causes my sinuses to swell and ruins my sense of taste.

Old 02-23-2004, 03:55 PM   #6

blue4u HB User

I have vasomotor rhinitis as well, although I don't know if I have reactions to odors so much but mostly changes in temp, humidity, eating food...
I have been looking into surgery but I don't know how expensive it is or if it really works. I have tried the saline nasal sprays but that turned out to be a big joke. I am also on flonase but that is also doing nothing for me. I was thinking about doing nasal irrigation but I can assume that it will only :slightly: relieve my symptoms. If anyone has had the laser surgery and it worked please speak up.

Old 02-23-2004, 04:01 PM   #7

tiggerbengal HB User

I had functional endoscopic, and I got the claim the other day from my insurance ... Came to $10,000, and I only had to pay $130 of it.

Old 02-24-2004, 07:02 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue4u
I have vasomotor rhinitis as well, although I don't know if I have reactions to odors so much but mostly changes in temp, humidity, eating food...
I have been looking into surgery but I don't know how expensive it is or if it really works. I have tried the saline nasal sprays but that turned out to be a big joke. I am also on flonase but that is also doing nothing for me. I was thinking about doing nasal irrigation but I can assume that it will only :slightly: relieve my symptoms. If anyone has had the laser surgery and it worked please speak up.
There's a surgery? My allergist seemed to think I just had to live with it.

Old 02-24-2004, 07:09 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

chigs489 HB User

The saline nasal sprays work well for me. Almost as well as Nasacort & Astelin, but you have to use it a lot. It really depends on the type of problem you have.

Surgical options are primarily for clearing obstructed sinuses, or correcting a structural defect in the nose, such as a deviated septum. Sometimes doctors do surgery to remove a polyp that is blocking a sinus cavity.

Vasomotor Rhintis is not something surgery can correct. I have it in the winter big time. Interestingly enough, I find that really spicey food actually helps me. The nose runs like crazy, but it tends to "clear out." Tabasco Sauce is the best!

Old 02-24-2004, 07:12 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User

The worst thing for me is barometric changes, but there's not much to be done about that. Usually the worst attacks only last a day, though.

The one thing that helped the most was accupunture. After one treatment I was clear for THREE MONTHS.

Closed Thread