It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2004, 10:24 AM   #1

CONCERNED20 HB User
Dust Mite Allergy+Allergy Shots

Has anyone had allergy shots for dustmite allergies?Has it worked? I am allergic to dustmites and have ETD because of it. My ears are constantly crackling when I swallow and I have ear pressure (especially in the car). I'm thinking of taking allergy shots but I wonder if this will work.

Nick S

Old 02-01-2004, 10:41 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

chigs489 HB User
Re: Dust Mite Allergy+Allergy Shots

I just started getting the shots for dust mites. I have the same problem -ears always cracking, etc.

Now I'm not a doctor, but I did notice that the first time I had the shot, I felt horrible for the next 24 hours. I assume my sinuses began to flare in the presence of the allergen.

So be careful. You may want to do this in the Summer, unless you live in a nice warm climate. I'm in Chicago, and we have probably the worst weather in the country.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2004, 11:15 AM   #3

PinkBanana HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiggins1066
I just started getting the shots for dust mites. I have the same problem -ears always cracking, etc.

Now I'm not a doctor, but I did notice that the first time I had the shot, I felt horrible for the next 24 hours. I assume my sinuses began to flare in the presence of the allergen.

So be careful. You may want to do this in the Summer, unless you live in a nice warm climate. I'm in Chicago, and we have probably the worst weather in the country.
oh my god yes we do!! i live here in chicago also and this place is HORRIBLE for allergies and asthma stuff!! i have year round AND seasonal allergies so the fun never stops for me lol..the winters are so darn dry and then spring and summer have all the wonderful pollen...and then comes ragweed in the fall..oh the joys of living in chicago!!
i think i may be heading down south soon though, as college approaches for me my parents are pushing for me to go to college down south as a possible cure for all my allergy problems..and i don't know if i can take any more of these subzero temperatures we're having!! lol..it's sad how today 20 degrees feels almost comfortable compared to the past few days..

Old 02-01-2004, 02:22 PM   #4

CONCERNED20 HB User

Quote:

Hi Chiggins1066
Thanks for your reply. How long have you been allergic to dustmites? Do you know? What symptoms do you have? I found out in Oct 2003 I was allergic to dustmites. My ears started giving me problems then with ETD. I'm trying everything do beat this but I think allergy shots is the only answer. How long have you been taking the shots?

Thanks
Nick S

Old 02-01-2004, 03:01 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

chigs489 HB User

I only recently found out I was allergic to dust mites, during a terrible bout with bacterial sinusitis. I've only had 2 shots so far -too early to see any difference.

What kind of symptoms did you have with ETD? I've often wondered if I have that problem as well.

My allergies are the worst in winter, when the heat comes on, and starts pushing dust into my sinuses. Congestion, watery eyes, and even asthmatic symptoms.

Old 02-01-2004, 03:40 PM   #6

Micheline HB User

I was two years on allergy shots the doctor told me that it will work for 10 years and after that I would need to go again for treatment. I leave in Canada in the country. I got shots for wild herbs and dust mites. The doctor told me that he can give only 50%of two items that I am the most allergic to other wise the shots wont work.It did help me, I don't see bites anymore on my leg (spot) and this summer I had pratically no attack. But I have notice that when the shot was finish that I became allergic to other items. So you do help you immune system but create other problems... I felt always in my ear like draft when I sleep before and after the shots. I found away to stop the problem by letting my hair grow over my ears in Winter. Good Luck.

Old 02-01-2004, 05:10 PM   #7

CONCERNED20 HB User

Quote:
I only recently found out I was allergic to dust mites, during a terrible bout with bacterial sinusitis. I've only had 2 shots so far -too early to see any difference.

What kind of symptoms did you have with ETD? I've often wondered if I have that problem as well.

My allergies are the worst in winter, when the heat comes on, and starts pushing dust into my sinuses. Congestion, watery eyes, and even asthmatic symptoms.
The funny thing is I don't have any congestion,watery eyes, sneezing or coughing. My only problem is the eustachian tubes. They seem to be inflammed for some reason (most likely allergies) and this inflammation causes ETD. My ears feel pressure like I'm on a plane, crackle when I swallow and tinnitus. It drives me crazy and I'm trying to figure out the solution to this problem. I had vestibular neuritis in August of 2003 and I wonder if ETD was caused by the VN. Do you know anything about VN?

Thanks
Nick

Old 02-02-2004, 05:35 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

chigs489 HB User

I do know that it can take a long time to recover from VN, and permanent damage can be done. However, most people are able to compensate.

How long have you had these symptoms? I thought I had VN or possible ETD a couple months ago. I didn't have any nasal discharge (or very little), no sneezing, etc. I was just dizzy, and felt like I was on an airplane all the times. One month later, yellow gunk was coming out my nose, my eyes were inflammed, sore throat, etc.

So the infection progressed in such a way that I thought my ears were screwed up -when in reality, it was my maxillary, ethmoid, and sphenoid sinuses.

Old 02-10-2004, 12:04 PM   #9

CONCERNED20 HB User

Quote:

Hi Chiggins1066:
I'm just wondering how your allergy shots are going? Any difference with the crackling ears?

Nick S

Old 02-10-2004, 02:08 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

chigs489 HB User

It's too early to tell with the allergy shots.

My ears have ALWAYS cracked, a lot. Even when I don't have allergy problems. My doctors have never been particularly concerned about it.

Old 02-14-2004, 06:11 AM   #11
(female)

skittles411 HB User

I recently found out that I'm allergic to dust mites too. That's the only thing I'm allergic to of all they tested for, but apparently the swelling I got from it was off the charts. My allergist had recommended shots, but he said there's a 5 year commitment (I guess once a week for like 6 months then you taper down after that?) My symptoms have been sinus trouble since march, recurrant bacterial sinus infections, and I also developed asthma in march.

For those of you with dust mite allergies - what do you do to help dustproof your homes? I bought all dustmite proof pillow cases and a mattress case, and I try to dust (with the static cling things, and a painter's mask on) frequently enough. What else woud you suggest?

Old 02-17-2004, 06:09 PM   #12

Cook Co HB User
Smile Re: Dust Mite Allergy+Allergy Shots

I live in Chicago and use to have dust mite allergy. About 5 years ago I started the allergy shots. Dust mites are everywhere, it doesn't matter what city you live in. They live in your mattress, bedding, and carpeting. The thing to do is to kill the dust mites. First you have to cover your mattress and box spring with dust mite proof casing. These can be bought at Linens and Things or by catalog. Next you have to treat your carpeting with a moist powder that kills dust mites for 6 months. The key is to treat your room only because that is where you spend most of your time. You also have to cover the pillows and make sure that you wash your bedding in hot water regularly to kill the mites. Dust mites live better in humidity, so keeping the humidity low in the house also helps. So you see, even if you move south you will still have dust mites. 18 years ago when I got married my husband and I decided to buy a water bed. Then when we moved to our new house I wanted a regular bed, I wanted to be able to put a dust ruffle on the bed again. A year after that is when my allergy became unbearable, it turns out that the mattress was the problem, I didn't have it with the water bed because mites can't live in it. The minute I covered everything there was an immediate change. Dust mites have nothing to do with dust, they are microscopic animals that feed off of human skin cells that we shed and in turn our allergies are from thier waste products, sounds gross!!

After I completed my allergies shots, about 3 years, I still had some problems so I was tested again. This time I did not react to dust mites. Turns out that I also have a seaonal allergy to trees. Since I no longer react to dust mites I no longer have to have the shots. I was told that since the tree season is so short it wouldn't be worth getting shots for it. It is contolled by antihistamine when I need it. Having the air conditioning on in the summer improved everything.

I was also told that moving away from allergies may not be a good thing because you can develop other allergies to allergens that are prominent in that area. The best thing is to learn what causes it and how to avoid the allergen.

I strongly recommend the shots (immuno therapy). It takes a lot of commitment. I had to have the shots every week for about a year then it went to every two weeks. I can now stay at hotels and family homes that do not have the bedding covered as I do and I do not have any reactions. I still have all the bedding in my home covered simply because it became a habit and I don't want it to ever come back.

Last edited by Cook Co; 02-17-2004 at 06:13 PM.

Old 03-24-2004, 01:40 AM   #13

breathing meditations HB User

Quote:

I have just read your posting and would like to know how you are going with the allergy shots. I am contenplating having them as my dust mite allergy is severe. It costs a lot of money to go through the process here in Australia and I dont want to spend all this money if the shots dont work. I noticed you started in Jan so you would have been having the shots for 2 months now so any info would be appreciated thanks
breathing meditations.

Old 03-24-2004, 05:44 AM   #14

bluesky0183 HB User

I think it's hard for anyone to really recommend allergy shots for another person. They work great for some, not so great for others. I have been getting them for quite some time for dust mites, molds, and all my seasonal allergies. They helped for quite some time....I had no symptoms, no meds. They worked quite well for me. Now...I'm having some issues with my allergies...however, I feel that the shots were very beneficial to me overall.

As far as cleaning, vacuum, vacuum, vacuum....if you have carpet, so much dust collects there! If you have wood or tile floors, keep it swept and mopped. Think of all the places dust is hiding and clean it out (ie-heater vents, on top of doors, behind dressers, under bed) It takes some time but I've found it's worth it. I've been told an air purifier would work wonders, but have never gotten one. Anyone tried this and if so what are the results?

Closed Thread