It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2004, 04:23 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

jerrie97 HB User
Allergies - bronchitis

I should probably start from the beginning on this...I'm asthmatic and I've had a one year history of frequently recurring bronchitis. I've had everything done - a sweat test, lung CT, sinus CT, etc. - all coming back with nothing. I had a 24 hr pH probe that came back with reflux. The doctor said this was causing it. When I went to a gastroenterologist, he examined me and said that it was very unlikely the reflux was causing the bronchitis. He said I had Dennie-Morgan lines, allergic shiners, and a nasal crease, and that my nose was swollen, all which suggested allergies. Has anyone had anything like this...allergies causing bronchitis? I'm on Nasonex, Singulair, Fluocinon, Albuterol, Advair, and Nexium. So wouldn't the Singulair take care of this?

Last edited by jerrie97; 02-08-2004 at 04:23 PM.

Old 02-08-2004, 05:06 PM   #2
Veteran

reader1 HB User
Re: Allergies - bronchitis

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimfast989
I should probably start from the beginning on this...I'm asthmatic and I've had a one year history of frequently recurring bronchitis. I've had everything done - a sweat test, lung CT, sinus CT, etc. - all coming back with nothing. I had a 24 hr pH probe that came back with reflux. The doctor said this was causing it. When I went to a gastroenterologist, he examined me and said that it was very unlikely the reflux was causing the bronchitis. He said I had Dennie-Morgan lines, allergic shiners, and a nasal crease, and that my nose was swollen, all which suggested allergies. Has anyone had anything like this...allergies causing bronchitis? I'm on Nasonex, Singulair, Fluocinon, Albuterol, Advair, and Nexium. So wouldn't the Singulair take care of this?

OH, honey, yes, allergies can trigger bronchitis. What happens is an allergic reaction triggers inflammation/constriction and the mucus can't move and gets infected. It sounds like your allergies are not well controlled despite Singulair and Nasonex. What level of Advair are you on? If you're only on 100, you might want to bump up to 250 or 500 to try to keep the inflammation in your lungs down. I have all those symptoms your GT identified...shiners, nasal crease, etc. If your nose is swollen, the nasonex isn't doing its job. Are you on allergy shots? Xolair? Reflux is a common "comorbid" condition with asthma but doesn't cause asthma or bronchitis itself. Frequent bronchitis and facial swelling suggest poorly controlled allergies. I ought to know...I've lived with them for years despite immunotherapy and 7 drugs a day. Hoping Xolair is doing the trick.

Good luck to you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2004, 05:15 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Howitt44 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by reader1
OH, honey, yes, allergies can trigger bronchitis. What happens is an allergic reaction triggers inflammation/constriction and the mucus can't move and gets infected. It sounds like your allergies are not well controlled despite Singulair and Nasonex. What level of Advair are you on? If you're only on 100, you might want to bump up to 250 or 500 to try to keep the inflammation in your lungs down. I have all those symptoms your GT identified...shiners, nasal crease, etc. If your nose is swollen, the nasonex isn't doing its job. Are you on allergy shots? Xolair? Reflux is a common "comorbid" condition with asthma but doesn't cause asthma or bronchitis itself. Frequent bronchitis and facial swelling suggest poorly controlled allergies. I ought to know...I've lived with them for years despite immunotherapy and 7 drugs a day. Hoping Xolair is doing the trick.

Good luck to you!
I have allergies and went through about a 7 year period where I got bronchitis at least once a year. I would cough up tons of phlegm and it would linger for about a month. Never had fever or any other symptoms, so I think it was asthma all along. Now that I'm on Advair 100/50 I haven't had so much as a single episode of coughing or phlegm. However, my spirometry test (lung function test) still is a little low. I'm hoping in time this will reverse itself. It was so nice this year that despite my husband and son getting the flu, I stayed well without as much as a single cough. But, yes, allergies can definitely cause bronchitis especially if you have asthma.

Old 02-08-2004, 06:24 PM   #4

PinkBanana HB User

Quote:
I've had bronchitis three times last year..and then a fourth time I think cuz I developed a bad cough, didn't take care of it..so it got worse and turned into pneumonia(moral of the story: if your an asthmatic DON'T WAIT to go to the doctor. I wasn't even planning on going but my parents made me..don't even want to think of what would have happened had I waited).
I have all kinds of allergies..hay fever, atopic dermatitis, asthma, to just about everything under the sun. Is it related to the frequent bronchitis? Maybe. Have you had allergy testing? Maybe you should consider adding an antihistamine to your regular medication like Clarinex(I know..another pill to take..but it's small and doesn't have any side effects). Have they considered cough variant asthma? I've been told this is what I have..I cough all the time, even when I don't have bronchitis. I think Singulair helps a lot..not for the coughing but moreso the breathing.
Have you thought of having your immune levels checked also? Maybe you have some deficiency..?
Also, are you taking a steroid nasal spray? PND could be causing the coughing/infections.
Hope this helps..

Old 02-09-2004, 11:57 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

jerrie97 HB User

I've had basic allergy testing (dust, ragweed, pollen, mold) and food allergy testing - all which came back negative. Even with the negative allergy testing, might I still be able to ask my pediatrician for something like Clarinex or whatever?

Old 02-09-2004, 01:10 PM   #6

PinkBanana HB User

Quote:
I've had basic allergy testing (dust, ragweed, pollen, mold) and food allergy testing - all which came back negative. Even with the negative allergy testing, might I still be able to ask my pediatrician for something like Clarinex or whatever?
I don't see why not..antihistamines have very few side effects, react with few medications..it wouldn't hurt to try it.

Closed Thread