It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2004, 11:44 AM   #1

CONCERNED20 HB User
Question The Cure for Allergies-Liver Flushing

Has any one read on Liver Flushing? I've been reading that it cures allergies.
Has any one tried Liver Flushing for allergies?

Nick S

Old 02-10-2004, 12:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

chigs489 HB User
Re: The Cure for Allergies-Liver Flushing

I'm highly skeptical.

There is no scientific evidence to support the claims made by proponants of liver flushing. It may even be a hazzerdous procedure for some people.

Remember that many people who get involved with this kind of stuff are also vegitarians. This is obviously a healthier lifestyle than eating a strip steak for dinner and washing it down with a milkshake. The liver flush probably does nothing, but the dietary modifications can help a lot.

I've found that certain foods irritate my sinuses, and tend to give me mild headaches, primarily chocolate and dairy. There are scientific reasons for this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2004, 05:55 AM   #3

Freznic HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiggins1066
I'm highly skeptical.

There is no scientific evidence to support the claims made by proponants of liver flushing. It may even be a hazzerdous procedure for some people.

Remember that many people who get involved with this kind of stuff are also vegitarians. This is obviously a healthier lifestyle than eating a strip steak for dinner and washing it down with a milkshake. The liver flush probably does nothing, but the dietary modifications can help a lot.

I've found that certain foods irritate my sinuses, and tend to give me mild headaches, primarily chocolate and dairy. There are scientific reasons for this.
I agree.

I'm in the PROCESS of improving my diet. Several months ago and due to illness, I was forced to drastically change my diet for about a week. I consumed only juice, water and fruit. I know that this diet did not eliminate my allergies because w/in days of returning to my old diet, I had them again. However, while I was on my modified diet, I felt better. It helped with my illness and, suprisingly, with my allergies. I guess I wonder if the liver flush offers the body any opportunity to consume less.

Note that I have no known food allergies.

Old 02-11-2004, 05:34 PM   #4

CONCERNED20 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freznic
I agree.

I'm in the PROCESS of improving my diet. Several months ago and due to illness, I was forced to drastically change my diet for about a week. I consumed only juice, water and fruit. I know that this diet did not eliminate my allergies because w/in days of returning to my old diet, I had them again. However, while I was on my modified diet, I felt better. It helped with my illness and, suprisingly, with my allergies. I guess I wonder if the liver flush offers the body any opportunity to consume less.

Note that I have no known food allergies.
Hi Freznic:

What allergies do you have?

Nick S

Old 02-12-2004, 08:33 AM   #5

Freznic HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CONCERNED20
Hi Freznic:

What allergies do you have?

Nick S

Up until 1996, I had hay fever only. My allergies to pollen and ragweed effected my sinuses (itchy eyes, runny/stuffy nose). In 96, I moved to California. The grass season impaired me every March through May. This gave me symptoms similar to asthma. Ever since that time, I've been quite sensitive (even though I'm out of California).

Now it's cats, dogs, trees and mold in addition to the above mentioned. Finally, I am sensitive to chemicals. My biggest problem has been paint (I think). Incidentally, I have stomach trouble associated with my respiratory trouble. I can often predict my abdominal bloating by the way my lungs feel. Strange, huh?

How about you?

Old 02-12-2004, 08:54 AM   #6

CONCERNED20 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freznic
Up until 1996, I had hay fever only. My allergies to pollen and ragweed effected my sinuses (itchy eyes, runny/stuffy nose). In 96, I moved to California. The grass season impaired me every March through May. This gave me symptoms similar to asthma. Ever since that time, I've been quite sensitive (even though I'm out of California).

Now it's cats, dogs, trees and mold in addition to the above mentioned. Finally, I am sensitive to chemicals. My biggest problem has been paint (I think). Incidentally, I have stomach trouble associated with my respiratory trouble. I can often predict my abdominal bloating by the way my lungs feel. Strange, huh?

How about you?
I'm allergic to cats and dust mites. I've always been allergic to cats but in Oct 2003 I found out I was allergic to dust mites. I have ETD and I don't know if it from the dust mite allergy. It's driving me crazy. My ears are constantly full and crackling when I swallow.
I'm in the carpet business and I have my own store. Every time I go into the store my Eustachian Tubes feel like they are swelling up. It's driving me nuts and I don't know what to do. Any suggestions?

Nick S

Old 02-12-2004, 09:10 AM   #7
(male)

ny01 HB User

Sounds like you have Multiple Chemical Sensitivity. I too had regular allergies and then became hypersensitive to chemicals. My eustachian get swollen, then I feel lightheaded. It affects me around perfumes, paints, new carpets etc. It basically sucks. I wish I could tell you how to cure it, cause I don't. Hopefully someone pops on here with some help.

Old 02-12-2004, 04:52 PM   #8

CONCERNED20 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny01
Sounds like you have Multiple Chemical Sensitivity. I too had regular allergies and then became hypersensitive to chemicals. My eustachian get swollen, then I feel lightheaded. It affects me around perfumes, paints, new carpets etc. It basically sucks. I wish I could tell you how to cure it, cause I don't. Hopefully someone pops on here with some help.
Hi Ny01:

Thanks for your reply. I've never heard of MCS but it makes sense. Every time I'm in my store it happens. Paint and perfume don't bother me at all.
I went for allergy tests in November and I was allergic to dustmites and cats. I went to another clinic today and I was allergic to 5 other things that I wasen't allergic to in November. I'm not allergic to cats according to their report. I personally don't believe them. I lost faith after todays appointment. How can I not be allergic to cats anymore? I've been allergic all my life up until November 2003 and now nothing? I'm allergic to Oak according to them and in November I wasen't.
I don't know. I'm trying my hardest to figure out this problem. My Eustachian Tubes are feeling a little better today. I'm trying an antihistamine called Areus. I hope it works. Have you tried any antihistamines or allergy shots?

Nick S

Old 02-12-2004, 07:29 PM   #9
(male)

ny01 HB User

Yeah allergy testing is always weird. I did the blood and skin tests and both were different. Who knows? In regards to antihistamines, I have tried the regular ones: Allegra, benadryl, Claritin, etc to no avail. I also did shopts for one year and was as allergic one year later to both chemicals and the usual allergens based on skin tests. I have not heard of the antihistamine you have started taking. Please let me know if it helps and I will try it. Best of luck.

Old 02-15-2004, 06:08 PM   #10

RyansWife HB User

The following post is one that i made about the Liver Flush/Allergies topic that was brought up not too long ago. I thought i would copy and paste it here, since it would apply...

I steer clear of anything- homeopathic or over the counter- that says it is proven to help or cure nearly everything under the sun. That questionaire literally somehow includes nearly every single symptom that one person (male or female) is bound to have a whole handful of regardless if they are healthy or not.

I've done loads of research for the chronic hives i've experienced and honestly i cant find anything that doesnt sound so unbelievable for the sheer fact it claims it can help with hives to repairing your bad credit and being the best carpet cleaner you'll ever see.

The reality of homeopathic medicine and herbal remedies is that while some of them can eliminate symptoms and even magically cure some problems in "some" people i think too many places on the internet have these miracle cures (and the liver flush really has a generalized symptom list that can apply to even my cat, so i guess she needs a liver flush too). This is not to say that it cant help with a limited number of things in a limited # of people, its just fluffed up too much for me to believe in it.

If a pharmaceutical company came out with one pill or injection fluffed up to cure about 3,000 ailments (such as the liver flush claims) they would be laughed at and asked to prove it in scientific measures with actual proof. Yet homeopathic medicine is so hard to prove since there isnt a great amount of people or charity willing to support the research like there is for more prominant causes like cancer or AIDS. So when you are taking a websites claim as the whole truth (especially if it is a site that is willing to sell you any essentials to carry out the homeopathic approach) i would be a little cautious when approaching it as gospel.

And anything that is willing to flush out whatever is in your digestive tract- especially the colon which is an organ designed to absorb vitamins, minerals and nutrients from what we eat- doesnt sound like something very healthy. Not to mention what can make things like laxitives and diarrhea so bad is the fact that it eliminates the good intestinal flora which are designed to fight off bacteria from many things we eat that could and can make us very sick. Those flora are very important.

Anyway, im not a "firm" believer in home-medicine, but i think there is enough success out there to make people crave more answers to their physical and emotional ailments. But i think there has been a complete overboard of sites out there willing to vouch for a cure for nearly everything as long as one person can say it helped them with that particular ailment on the list. Well, there is a lot to say for placebos and the way the mind works over our body when we "think" we are receiving something that is truly going to fix us. So i wonder how many times those naturalistic approaches just tap into the strange and unexplainable placebo phenomenon?

Just to give you a PRIME example of how ridiculous some of these things are out there that claim to help...I was doing some research (as usual) on allergies and managed to come across a site that looked very ligitimate, that is, until i noticed that the questionaire was having you check off everything that applies to you...and the funniest one on the list was "odorous stools" and it said "Your stools should not have any smell and if they do, something is wrong and you have an imbalance in your system" that was when i just closed the window and realized that i just wasted my time even filling it out because many places have little programs that say "CLICK HERE TO SEE IF YOU HAVE AN IMBALANCE" and by the end of it you have checked off a half dozen things that start to make you think you are about to die and need that herbal remedy shipped to you overnight! Also many of those forms have the same results no matter what you check off that applies to you, they are programmed with a confirmation page (you can tell i do web design cant ya?) that is designed to pop up only when atleast 1 choice is checked off or the "submit" button is sent and the visitor is told that they really need to invest into these methods because its the magical cure. To me, sites and homeopathic ideas like that should be treated like the junk mail we get from places we've never even applied to offering us an unlimited credit line on a no interest credit card- YEAH right!- or those stupid and ever increasing popups that claim "You have just WON! Click here to get your money"

I hope i didnt offend anyone with my "if its too good to be true, then it probably is" post.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by RyansWife : 02-06-2004 at 05:22 PM.

Old 02-16-2004, 05:08 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Dear Maggie HB User
These are very good comments - Carpet - contains chemicals

RyansWife - Yes if it seems too good to be true, most times it is. Thanks for your post.

For the man who owns a carpet store - There is a version of 2-butoxyethanol ... (the acetate) that is in new carpet; you probably have more than your body can handle in exposures to it.

Check my other posts as I've gone into detail on some aspects of this & there should be something helpful for you. [url=http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?p=860009#post860009]Such as this one on the board[/url] or [url=http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=14398&page=2&pp=5]this one on anemia/fatigue[/url] post #7

Closed Thread