Originally Posted by 1965_Bruce
I told her I thought it was an ant bite but if there was going to be any serious reaction it would have happened by now, right? Personally I didn't think it was anything serious by this time but who am I to know...
When I first get an ant, spider or wasp byte, I immediately put a paste on the bite, made out of 3% hydrogen peroxide and baking soda, and the byte(s) is mostly gone by the next day.
If I don't, the bites usually get worse and blister.
I don't know if it is safe for your mother not to receive treatment, especially since you don't know what bit her. Is she having any problems breathing? Is her hand painful? Does she have any history of allergies to insect bites?
If she is allergic or sensitive to the chemicals or poisons, from the bite, she could continue to get worse. Allergies are combinational. If she is reacting to the bite, allergically, then if she comes into contact with another allergen, she could have a worse reaction than normal to it.
If she refuses to go to the doctor, you might want to keep a close watch on her over the next day or two. If it seems to be getting worse, you might try to convince her to see a doctor.