It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2004, 11:00 AM   #1
(male)

1965_Bruce HB User
Symptoms of Ant Bites?

What are some symptoms of ant bites? I'm asking because my mother (who is elderly) was bitten by something while pulling weeds (I tell her that so-called garden outside her apartment is infested with ants but she never listens; that's a whole other subject ) and now is worried if she should go to a doctor or not. Part of her hand was swollen yesterday but she hasn't had any wierd rashes or anything although she did claim to feel a bit faint this morning but this is almost 24 hours after being bitten. I can't convince her to go to a doctor unless it is very serious either. I told her I thought it was an ant bite but if there was going to be any serious reaction it would have happened by now, right? Personally I didn't think it was anything serious by this time but who am I to know...

Old 03-01-2004, 11:43 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Symptoms of Ant Bites?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965_Bruce
I told her I thought it was an ant bite but if there was going to be any serious reaction it would have happened by now, right? Personally I didn't think it was anything serious by this time but who am I to know...
When I first get an ant, spider or wasp byte, I immediately put a paste on the bite, made out of 3% hydrogen peroxide and baking soda, and the byte(s) is mostly gone by the next day.

If I don't, the bites usually get worse and blister.

I don't know if it is safe for your mother not to receive treatment, especially since you don't know what bit her. Is she having any problems breathing? Is her hand painful? Does she have any history of allergies to insect bites?

If she is allergic or sensitive to the chemicals or poisons, from the bite, she could continue to get worse. Allergies are combinational. If she is reacting to the bite, allergically, then if she comes into contact with another allergen, she could have a worse reaction than normal to it.

If she refuses to go to the doctor, you might want to keep a close watch on her over the next day or two. If it seems to be getting worse, you might try to convince her to see a doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2004, 03:03 PM   #3

BraveRifles HB User

Usually with symptomatic (entire body rather than the local area) reactions the onset will be within an hour if not minutes or seconds depending on your allergy and the number of stings. Sometimes you may get hives, usually forming on the torso first and spreading to the limbs, or just redness. More severe reactions will include shortness of breath with wheezing, loss of conciousness, swollen airway to the point of obstruction, and even cardiac arrest.
The best thing to do if you suspect you are allergic after a insect sting is to take some liquid form of diphenhydramine which is the active medication in Benadryl. Take 50mg immediately for an adult and 25mg for children. Another way to do it is 1mg/kg of body weight to a maximum of 50mg. This is best for small children. If all you get is hives they should go away with the medication, if a more severe reaction takes place such as shortness of breath call 911 or get to an ER. Certainly call 911 if you are not near an ER because seconds count and they can give you epinephrine to open the airway back up and constrict the blood vessels to avoid loss of conciousness or any shock resulting from low blood pressure.
Some local swelling when bitten by an insect is pretty common and harmless, it is to be expected. Elderly persons feeling faint can be so many things on any given day, unless the actual bite is looking worse I would not worry too much personally, but I would be a fool to tell you not to consult her physician
Let me add don't take Benadryl lightly, if you call 911 with a severe reaction the paramedics will give you an injection of it along with epinephrine. It is a very strong drug that can certainly help your severe reaction, if you are driving to the ER take it first!

Last edited by BraveRifles; 03-02-2004 at 03:06 PM.

Old 03-02-2004, 04:14 PM   #4
(male)

1965_Bruce HB User

Well she did go to the doctor and he told her that he is glad she came because it could have been serious since she's on a blood thinner. Now her whole hand and part of arm is swollen up (seems to be localized) but he gave her some stuff to put on it and also pill to take and he is going to see her in 3 days to check it.

Old 03-03-2004, 03:23 AM   #5

BraveRifles HB User

Quote:
Well she did go to the doctor and he told her that he is glad she came because it could have been serious since she's on a blood thinner. Now her whole hand and part of arm is swollen up (seems to be localized) but he gave her some stuff to put on it and also pill to take and he is going to see her in 3 days to check it.
Glad to hear she is ok Interesting about the blood thinner, never heard of that.

Old 03-03-2004, 06:31 AM   #6

Micheline HB User

Quote:
I am curious could you tell me if your mother was told that she had phlebitis, since you are saying that she is been treating on blood thinner. Because I thought once that I had a bite from a spider. I saw my arm and my finger so swollen that I went to the hospital and the doctor said even when they saw a small bleu spot (that eventualy that when black) on my arm ,probably on a vein, that it was phlebitis. And that in my case which I new she was right, that was cause by overworking in different position. I was told to take aspirin to thin my blood and to relax, by not doin anything.Thank you in advance for your reply..

Old 03-03-2004, 10:06 AM   #7
(male)

1965_Bruce HB User

No, she's on a blood thinner (coumadin) due to having a blocked artery a few years ago so the doctors wanted to thin her blood to help prevent any blockages again. It wasn't phlebitis. So when you are on a blood thinner they tell you to avoid getting any kind of cuts or anything that would bleed because the blood won't congeal (?) quickly. I have also heard that it can be more difficult for people on blood thinners to have surgery due to the risk of more bleeding. By the same measure I suppose any bite or poison would move thru your system quicker so its important to treat. PLus, they have to give you certain meds that won't interfere with the action of the thinner.

Old 04-01-2004, 07:21 AM   #8
(female)

tammy27530 HB User

hi. my husband is a plumber and has to crawl under houses. he came out from under the house he was working on and was fine. his father,who he works with, about 5 mins later told him he looked pale. my husband said he was feeling kind of faint,then he could feel his throat swelling and he started to itch. he got to the hosp and they gave him benedryl then he was fine. what his dad found out looking under the house was my husband laid on a huge fire ant hill.he never even felt the bites,but the dr. at the er said he had them up his back,neck and arms and all over his head. probably about 60 bites.the thing is his reaction only took about 5 mins to start. hope this helps.

Closed Thread