It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2004, 07:45 AM   #1
midert

Iodine, Betadine Allergy

I have a severe reaction to many food things but iodine dyes or even a daub of betadine will send me to the hpspital. I am worried about ever having to have a CAT, or MRI scan. Also does anyone know if one has to have surgery ,if something other than Betadine can be used for a skin prep? Last time I told a dermatologist that I was allergic to Betadine before he took a cyst off of my back. So he went ahead and put it on my back anyway. Could not even get my eyes open for two weeks. He then told me when I complained that he ONLY put it on my skin.

Thanks for any in-put.

Nanan

Old 03-16-2004, 08:30 PM   #2
Veteran

Blondee15 HB User
Re: Iodine, Betadine Allergy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanan
I have a severe reaction to many food things but iodine dyes or even a daub of betadine will send me to the hpspital. I am worried about ever having to have a CAT, or MRI scan. Also does anyone know if one has to have surgery ,if something other than Betadine can be used for a skin prep? Last time I told a dermatologist that I was allergic to Betadine before he took a cyst off of my back. So he went ahead and put it on my back anyway. Could not even get my eyes open for two weeks. He then told me when I complained that he ONLY put it on my skin.

Thanks for any in-put.

Nanan
Well I don't know if this is similar but my dad is severely (life threatening-anaphylaxis) allergic to iodine..esp the kind found in shellfish. He can have tests that have iodine in them done, the thing is he has 2 do a STRONG pred burst for a day or 2 before. Also he ahs 2 take benadryl the day before, day of, day after. Sometimes they'll just give him a medrol injection. Either way he's been fine everytime & he's had several procedures involving iodine!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2004, 08:10 AM   #3
midert

Re: Iodine, Betadine Allergy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondee15
Well I don't know if this is similar but my dad is severely (life threatening-anaphylaxis) allergic to iodine..esp the kind found in shellfish. He can have tests that have iodine in them done, the thing is he has 2 do a STRONG pred burst for a day or 2 before. Also he ahs 2 take benadryl the day before, day of, day after. Sometimes they'll just give him a medrol injection. Either way he's been fine everytime & he's had several procedures involving iodine!
Thanks for the information. I am also allergic to shellfish.
nanan

Closed Thread