It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2004, 02:28 PM   #1

scottskitty HB User
fluid in ears

i have fluid in my ears due to allergies. anyone else have this problem, and could it cause the top & side of my head,right above & below my ear into my neck,and the back of my head and neck to be sensative to touch? i also have pressure there and it helps when i rub or push on it. sometimes my forehead and cheek on the same side will have pressure. does this sound like anyone else?

Old 04-22-2004, 04:18 PM   #2

kss HB User
Re: fluid in ears

I haven't found out what I have exactly but it sounds pretty close to yours. I have been told that more than likely I have sinus/eustachian tube dysfunction. And I have had this now for about 4 weeks. The first week I had I was just sore because of weight lifting. And I even thought it was because one day I was getting out of the tub and lost my footing and my neck snapped back. And the latter could still be the blame. But I am thinking it was at the beginning of allergy season and I had a very dry chest cold. I think that did it or the combination of the last 2 anyway. I went from having bad headaches around the temple areas and around the back or my head, there were these 2 spots on both temples that seemed sore to the touch and once I massaged them it got a little bit better, sensitivity to light and sound to now having some pressure around my temples and some pressure in my face, and most notably popping ears. And the extent of the loudness of the popping would tell me how bad the head pressure would be.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2004, 07:33 PM   #3
Inactive

Asleep HB User

My ears are often clogged lately due to allergies. I feel like I sometimes cannot hear at all.

But the tenderness you describe sounds to me more like a sinus infection. Might be worth checking out in case you need antibiotics, especially if you have not had allergies in the past. For me, this ear clogging thing only happens when my allergies are aweful (like this week!). Hope this helps.

Old 04-22-2004, 08:02 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Bernice HB User

I have very bad sinuses and always getting sinus infections. A couple months ago, I went to the doctors because I was getting dizzy. My ear would clog, pressure under and above my eyes. Coughing from sinus drainage. The back of my eyes would hurt and felt better when I rub them. She said I had a sinus infection and the dizziness was caused from fluid in my ear. She said sinuses can caused fluids in the ear. She gave me nose spray and after a few days, I wasn't dizzy anymore and my sinuses cleared up. Two weeks ago, I came down with a cold. After a few days, I felt better except I was constantly blowing my nose and I had a cough that would wake me during the night coughing. I went to the doctor and I have alittle fluid in the same ear from my sinuses. The coughing is caused by my sinuses draining in my throat. She put me on Amoxi and nose spray and I feel alittle better and not coughing as much.

Old 04-22-2004, 08:56 PM   #5
Veteran

Blondee15 HB User

I have had Eustachian Tube Dysfunction for about 2 years now. I have what i'd call a pretty severe case of it.. when it gets bad, my ears pound & feel pressured, my sinuses do the same & get stuffy & nose drippy, my throat swells up and gets sore. Throat infections are dangerous, the last time I had a throat infection it very quickly spead b/c of it and swelled up completley shut~couldn't eat or drink for a week, ran a 105 fever. Any kind of infection in my ear nose or throat quickly spreads to other parts and becomes somewhat of just an eustachian tube infection, along with bronchitis. Sinus infections or ear infections lead to some pretty intense ear pain and pressure..as well as the fluid. I don't know how long the fluid has been there, it was recently discovered. I take Flonase and Clarinex 2 prevent flare ups..and they do a pretty decent job if i'm not sick or in dead of allergy season(ragweed and grass..which are coming up =( ). I average about one respiratory infection a month, upper, lower, or both. Recently it's gotten to the point of dizziness when I get an infection..last time I fell over I was so dizzy. I may start Astelin soon if I don't get better...but yeah their all connected & can be triggered by allergies. Mine is..and thats why surgery wouldn't help, I don't think.

Old 04-23-2004, 06:39 AM   #6

scottskitty HB User

it makes me feel better to know that i'm not alone. the sinus infection thing, i've already been on 2 rounds of antibiotics and nothings kicked it so far. i've also been on allergy meds & it hasn't helped either. i'm going to an ent on monday.

Old 05-04-2004, 11:50 AM   #7

Karber HB User
Question Re: fluid in ears

my doctor doesn't think I have fluid in my ears but I feel it
I have chronic sinusitis for years despite many years of Western and eastern medicine, chiropractic, nasal wash, everything you can think of
it seems to have spread to my ears and I think I have ear infections but my doctor doesn't see that either
I suffer so much, as it goes away comes back, makes me profoundly fatigued, sometimes severely lightheaded for days and weeks
chills, nausea, really really bad
been particularly bad for nine months
also have allergies to almost all antibiotics which is the only thing that heals me quickly
have had to resort to slow-moving not very effective healing methods like Chinese herbs and homeopathy
anyone have any clue about this?

Old 05-04-2004, 12:19 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Gerber
my doctor doesn't think I have fluid in my ears but I feel it
I have chronic sinusitis for years despite many years of Western and eastern medicine, chiropractic, nasal wash, everything you can think of
it seems to have spread to my ears and I think I have ear infections but my doctor doesn't see that either
I suffer so much, as it goes away comes back, makes me profoundly fatigued, sometimes severely lightheaded for days and weeks
chills, nausea, really really bad
been particularly bad for nine months
also have allergies to almost all antibiotics which is the only thing that heals me quickly
have had to resort to slow-moving not very effective healing methods like Chinese herbs and homeopathy
anyone have any clue about this?
Have you been checked for TMJ disorder?

Closed Thread