It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2004, 08:44 AM   #1

innosoft HB User
Best place to live in US for allergy sufferer?

I live in Maryland, between Baltimore and Washington, and I suffer terribly from allergies. I pop Claritin like Elvis and Betty Ford popped Valium. What are some of the best locations in the lower US continental states to live for allergy sufferers? Mid West? Rocky Mountains? North West? I am ready to move to any other location if it will reduce my allergy problems.

Chuck

Old 04-24-2004, 03:35 PM   #2
(female)

artbuggy3 HB User
Re: Best place to live in US for allergy sufferer?

I live between washington and baltimore also! I know allergy season is the worst! I feel your pain. Hope you find come anwers soon!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2004, 03:34 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User

That completely depends on what you're allergic to.

They used to say the Southwest was the best, since there are no trees or mold no mold, but since so many people have been moving there and planting trees, it's not that great anymore. Probably still better than most places, I imagine.

Old 04-25-2004, 04:48 PM   #4
Inactive

miseryweeps HB User

I, too, have always heard that Arizona, New Mexico, and Colorado were the best places for persons with allergies to live. The air is supposed to be drier and not moist which can aggrevate sinuses and allergies.

Old 04-26-2004, 12:50 AM   #5

hottoddy HB User

I've always heard one of the best is to live near the ocean (like within a mile). The desert also works for some.

Old 04-26-2004, 06:05 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hottoddy
I've always heard one of the best is to live near the ocean (like within a mile). The desert also works for some.
I was in Santa Barbara last year, within about 1/4 mile of the ocean, and the friend I was with had the worst allergy attack of her life. She got hives for the first time. She thinks it was the mold. We can't be sure that's what she's allergic to, since she hasn't been to an allergist, but she thinks it's mold, and the house we were in had previously had some mold problems.

Last edited by Crossbow; 04-26-2004 at 06:06 PM.

Old 04-28-2004, 12:53 AM   #7

hottoddy HB User

Funny you should mention that. I went to school in Santa Barbara and had some bad allergies in the summer. That area would have "sundowner" (offshore) winds that whipped up in the evenings and brought every airborn allergen whipping into town. The inland chaparral vegetation can be brutal when it dries to a crisp in the summer. The rest of the year was fine.

I believe the ocean theory takes into account the heavy, moist air - and general on-shore flow. All of which should control allergens to some degree.

Old 04-28-2004, 05:02 PM   #8

SMB2 HB User

I moved from the east coast to California, a mile from the ocean, and my allergies here are worse than ever.

Old 04-30-2004, 03:43 PM   #9

zimnah HB User

I've lived in Hawaii, California, Connecticut, New York, and now Pennsylvania. Ive spent summers in Colorado. If it wasn't for the nature of my husband's work, we would move to Colorado in a heartbeat. Dry is good for allergies. Also, unless specifically allergic to pines or evergreens, you may do the best in a higher elevation with mostly evergreens. They tend to have a lot less pollen, and not as much gunk in the air. Also, higher elevations have (supposedly) a higher content of oxygen in the air, and the air just FEELS lighter and easier to breathe. It's also cooler. My allergies and asthma are such that summers here in the East kill me. I hide indoors with air conditioning on full and just don't go outside. Check with an allergist or immunologist as to your specific allergies, and go from there.
Good luck!

Old 05-03-2004, 11:17 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

desertdweller HB User

I have lived in Oregon and Washington State for the past 20 years and have suffered with terrible allergies and eventually developed asthma. I am allergic to many things, but mostly grasses, mold, and pollen.
I moved to the California high desert last June and the difference has been amazing! I have not had to use Beconase for the first time in 15 years, or my inhaler since I've moved. The desert did get a lot of unusual rain this year, so I have a little bit of allergies with the wildflowers blooming this last month. I have popped a Clairiten a couple times, but nothing even close to what I'm used to.
A move worked for me. Just my 2 cents........

Old 05-09-2004, 12:00 AM   #11

xavier213 HB User

I live in Tucson, AZ and have horrible allergies! I use to live in NY and never had a problem. The southwest isn't so great for allergies anymore, there is plenty of stuff in the air to be allergic to and a lot of trees too. (just different kinds than the northeast, etc) I'm allergic to about 12 trees out here.

Also because of our heat you have year round plants that bloom. So if you're like me and have allergies to summer, winter, fall, and spring plants you never get a break (and that's not even counting the indoor allergies) I think the only good thing about the desert is there isn't a lot of moisture, so dust mites are low. I'm highly allergic to them and my dr has said I live in the best place to be so allergic to dust mites.

Katt

Old 05-13-2004, 07:40 AM   #12

allergicinsw HB User

New Mexico and CO are not good. I am from Bethesda, MD and had hay fever but my allergies are much worse in NM. They were best in CA near the ocean.

Sharon

Old 05-15-2004, 10:01 AM   #13

castlebravo HB User

I currently live in Alabama and yes my allergies are pretty bad here. We have lots of moisture and foiliage that produces pollen. In April the pollen is so thick your car will be covered in yellow. But, I have also lived in Los Angeles and other parts of California. I believe my allergies were worse in LA, due in part to the air pollution and dust. Remember, its not just natural pollutants that aggravate allergies.

Old 05-15-2004, 10:26 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

elatedgiraffe HB User

Atlanta was just named the worst city overall for allergies. No wonder I can't enjoy springtime.

Old 06-26-2005, 07:08 PM   #15
(male)

bankerky HB User

Miami, FL, without question, is the best place I have ever lived for allergies. And I have lived in a lot of places:
- Houston, TX
- Dallas, TX
- New Orleans, LA
- Charlotte, NC
- San Francisco, CA
- Palo Alto, CA
- Redwood City, CA
- Ann Arbor, MI

And right behind Miami, I would place Ann Arbor. Not sure why, but I have bad sinusitis, allergies, and asthma, and Miami and Ann Arbor have agreed with me the most. Good luck!

Closed Thread