HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Allergies (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/allergies/)
-   -   Hives? Lip Swelling/Itchy "Bites"..etc... HELP! (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/allergies/174550-hives-lip-swelling-itchy-bites-etc-help.html)

popps 05-16-2004 02:00 PM

Hives? Lip Swelling/Itchy "Bites"..etc... HELP!

In the past month or so, this all came on..

I first thought I was being eaten alive by bugs at night, and that still may be. But, I've been waking with what look like spider and mosquito bites all over my body. Big welts on my hips (4 different times, right along the pantsline in the front)

I've also had 4 swollen lips. Two in the top left corner and one in the bottom left and right. It looks like someone punched me in the mouth. It lasts about 24 hours, or less.

It's become more frequent. I've never really had any allergies, so I have no idea what this is.

I looked at pictures of hives, and it doesn't look quite like what I have. Mine look like bites, very specific. Mosquito bites and the welts look like spider bites. ALL of the symptoms appear the worst in the morning.

I've thrown out my bed, and even went to stay with a friend for a few days.... washed everything I own. The bite (if they are even bites) seemed to get better but I still woke up with a really fat lip.

I eat a very strict diet and don't waver from it. I could have developed an allergy, I suppose... but if it was a food allergy, it seems that I'd show effects soon after eating, and I never do.

I've seen a few people with similar stories on this board, but the posts were outdated. I'm really hoping that someone will read this who has had some success in figuring out what it is. I'll be going to the doctor this week, of course... but 99% of the time, that yields no results. (Same thing the other posters here said about it)

Also, even if someone has any idea how to treat the lip swelling so I don't look like a freak at work, that would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance for any help! :wave:

ditsmom 05-21-2004 04:17 PM

Re: Hives? Lip Swelling/Itchy "Bites"..etc... HELP!

Sounds familiar!!! I started getting hives in February 2003. They lasted a year! My allergist figured out which combination of medications worked for me. Zyrtec, Singulair, Zantac, Brethine and hydroxyzine for the "flares". They are under control now and I keep taking the meds. I hope to start the weaning process soon. Your case sounds like mine was... I would wake up with the red, itchy spots, sometimes welts. Mostly on my legs, arms and back area. My face (lips, eyes mostly...) would be swollen alot too... Daily I'd have welts around my waist where my jeans waistband went, and around where my brastrap was. I was miserable!!!! benedry helped alot too... even if the redness did'nt go away, it would provide some relief. I was a miserable year, but thank goodness it's better now. I hope you can find a doctor to help you. My doctor diagnosed it as: Chronic Idiopathic Urticaria and Angioedema. Take Care!!

Dave64 06-06-2004 11:34 PM

Personally, I would set up an appointment with a quality allergist as soon as possible! I just recently had an allergic reaction to fish oil capsules. I went to the ER with rashes everywhere. My face and lips became swollen and numb. MY blood pressure dropped all the way to 75 over 39. I almost passed out. Very scary stuff. No more fish oil capsules for the rest of my life! Please be careful and proactive! God bless! Dave

caaber01 06-14-2004 10:34 AM

I am having symptoms almost EXACTLY as you are. If I take Zyrtec, then I have no symptoms. However, my husband and I want to conceive a second child and I cannot be on the meds then. I'm curious to find out if you have been diagnosed or found any sourse of the problem??!

jojo25 06-16-2004 08:24 PM

Sorry, but my only suggestion is not to touch your lips and try not open them wide I have a similiar problem I have had this for about 6 years now with no diagnosis yet. All of a sudden my lips come on with little bumps then by the second day my lips itch and burn and it feels as though they were sunburn for this I have tried everything the only thing the works is to leave them alone try not to get food on them and not opening my mouth wide it sounds werid but it has worked for me I also get these hives on my hands. DON't know why?

jojo25 06-16-2004 08:31 PM

I have similar problem it all starts with small bumps on my lips then by second day they are swollen and itch, When I first notice the bumps I take zrytec or claritan they don't do much what really helps is prednisone the pak but this is really bad to take regularlly. What I do is not to touch them at all try not to get food on them or open my mouth wide. I have had this for about 6 years now with no diagnosis.

aldi 09-11-2007 02:53 PM

Hives, Lip Swelling, Itchy "Bites"

Sept. 11, 2007

Greetings all,

I just signed up to reply to this messages because I have been through the same series of symptoms for weeks.

I started having very few hives here and there some 3 weeks ago. I thought it was a bug in the bed, but my wife was untouched. I was the only one having them. Some weeks after that, I ate greek spicy food for 3 days and noticed the hives by the third day. I could not stop scratching myself all over for hours.

The hives were perfectly round, varying in size from 5 to 10 mm. They would look amorphous in those places where merging of two or more individual hives occurred. Hives would appear toward the night hours (around 9 or 10 pm). Taking a bath would make them worse, probably because of the hot water expanding the blood capillars (more histidine all over).
I could even have hives on my palm hands, the tongue, lips (swelling lips and tongue, those hurt a little), and the soles of my feet, but those would appear unexpectedly and randomly (apparently). The most common were around my knees, in the back of my upper legs, my butt, underarms, forearms, hips and ankles. I suppose this varies in every person, but I could notice that hives would overall appear symetrically. In other words, I would have hives in the same opposite areas of the body... I once felt a hive popping up in my left eye, but went away soon after.

Since my first day of hives, I stopped eating snaks (artificial colors and flavors), chicken, almonds, peanuts, milk (not completely), granola bars, and meat in general. I noted a slight decrease in 'hive intensity' at nights, but they would still pop up, so the frequency has been the same: everyday. Only the intensity would change. Some days is more intense than others though.

The most mysterious thing is the tongue and lip swelling. I could stay on water for two days, and they suddenly appear. No stress, no sunshine, no condimented food, no pool chlorine, no lotions, no fabrics... why would they appear? Also, hives are never painful (they itch a lot though), but tongue and lip swelling are. They do not hurt a lot, but it is uncomfortable and they last for some 1 to 3 hours. They only hurt when the swelling starts, then the pain goes away and the swelling stays.

The first day I had abundant hives, I ran to the pharmacy and got Benadryl (it was the best they had)... I felt terribly sleepy but worked for that day. I took it again the next day but this time it did not work that well, plus I felt very heavy, so I quit Benedryl.
I have not taken anything else since then, and I have been careful with what I eat, so my hives are more less controlled... but they are still there every night.

I am planning to see a doctor soon, but I keep procrastinating the appointment because I do not trust them much. It is obvious when they do not know a bit and still want to say something about it... I know for sure allergies and immune response are not well understood yet. Doctors tend to prescribe whatever is common these days, but that is not a guarantee for anything. Still, they might have a better idea since they are the ones that see the patients with the same symptoms every day.

I do not exercise a lot because of my work, and when I am done working I only have energy for family issues, but exercise and drinking more water (I avoid sodas and sugary juices) might help getting rid of this miserable allergy.

I will try to post this same message in other forums where this subject is discussed. I experienced feeling better once knowing that other people go through the same and what they do about it. Some people say this lasts for months or years... I hope not to have this for long. Although I enjoy scratching the hives (it feels good), I know something is not right inside my body, and that is probably its way of saying: stop this or that !

Thanks again for your posts. HB

chahanvic1 09-14-2007 02:01 PM

[QUOTE=popps;1010803]In the past month or so, this all came on..

I first thought I was being eaten alive by bugs at night, and that still may be. But, I've been waking with what look like spider and mosquito bites all over my body. Big welts on my hips (4 different times, right along the pantsline in the front)

I've also had 4 swollen lips. Two in the top left corner and one in the bottom left and right. It looks like someone punched me in the mouth. It lasts about 24 hours, or less.

It's become more frequent. I've never really had any allergies, so I have no idea what this is.

I looked at pictures of hives, and it doesn't look quite like what I have. Mine look like bites, very specific. Mosquito bites and the welts look like spider bites. ALL of the symptoms appear the worst in the morning.

I've thrown out my bed, and even went to stay with a friend for a few days.... washed everything I own. The bite (if they are even bites) seemed to get better but I still woke up with a really fat lip.

I eat a very strict diet and don't waver from it. I could have developed an allergy, I suppose... but if it was a food allergy, it seems that I'd show effects soon after eating, and I never do.

I've seen a few people with similar stories on this board, but the posts were outdated. I'm really hoping that someone will read this who has had some success in figuring out what it is. I'll be going to the doctor this week, of course... but 99% of the time, that yields no results. (Same thing the other posters here said about it)

Also, even if someone has any idea how to treat the lip swelling so I don't look like a freak at work, that would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance for any help! :wave:[/QUOTE]

Do you hae any more information about this, I woke up a week ago and my top lip was swollen .. It looked like I was bitten by something , I took some benadryl product and it left. Now a week later I awaken with the same symptom this time my bottom lip. Again I am thinking something hast bitten me, we had the exterminator come and and spray . Please give more information if you have it.
thank you,
chahanvic1:

aldi 09-29-2007 04:36 PM

Hives from allergie

I wrote my symptoms several days ago... I am posting how I got cured two weeks ago.

If you read my post above, you can follow what I am posting (hives and swelling lips due to a food allergic reaction).

I spent one week and a half eating white rice and vegetables until the hives disappeared. To finished them all up, I took Claritine (Benedryl was too sleepy for me), and it helped a lot (I was very awake).

I stayed two days without hives before start eating normal food again. After those clean days, I started eating one different thing a a time, and the rest was again white rice and veggies.

I discovered that dairy products, but especially cottege cheese, and pecans (not almonds, nor cashews) gave me hives again. I now knew I could use Claritine to shut them down fast... which I did.

I 'cleaned' my metabolism once more and tried those products again, so I could confirm they were causing the hives... both testing came out positive.

I was able to rule out other food that I thought was causing me the hives (e.g. fish, chicken, artificial flavors)...
I am being careful now, but still can take some dairy, like butter, milk, cream cheese and yogurt, but in measured alliquots. I have quit from pecans, and will be cautious with them.

My recommendation: try to abolish hives and swelling with a good antihistaminic that works for you. Complement that with an inert diet, such as rice and veggies, until you feel clean and hive-free. Start eating things that you believe are causing the allergie, but do not eat too much of it, just a regular portion. Find out what really is causing you the allergie and quit from it for a while, until your body is ready to try them again in little portions.

Geary 10-30-2007 11:06 AM

Wow. I am SO glad I found this message board. I thought I was going to lose my mind over these latest hive breakout episodes I've been going through since just the last month. Sheeeeesh! What an insidious thing this is.

First off, I still haven't quite figured completely or exactly what has been causing the allergic reactions. I do know it has to be food. I have done the whole stop-eating-everything-for-three-days thing...only drinking water and then "re-introducing" foods one at a time back into my system. It's strange, because just when I think I've located the culprit....such as dairy.....I'll eat or drink some of it and won't get anything for two or three days. Other times, it comes on immediately, or I wake up the next morning with my entire back, waist, and legs covered in those "bite-looking welts" and accompanied by a fat lip or numbness in the jaw area around the mouth.

My symptoms are exactly as "Popps" and "HB" (and others) have described here. GoD help us ALL!!!! YIKES!!:eek:

I'm going to go get the Claritin because the Benedryl is also making me act like a zombie most of the days.

I hate this. :confused:

Thanks for being here guys. :wave:

~Geary

BeaTrade 10-30-2007 03:43 PM

I had an allergic reaction to laundry detergent which caused these symptoms to me. Have you started using something new to wash with? Or some new soaps etc? For me it even went so far as to make my throat start to swell. Benadryl took care of that then I realized it was Gain detergent that was causing it and man oh man it took forever to get that all out of my clothes too! It wasn't a simple matter of rewashing them in something else, I had to wash and wash and wash in hot hot water!!!!!:(

Geary 10-31-2007 02:11 AM

No laundry detergent changes here. I believe this thread is dealing with food allergies. And possibly more than one type. The reason I believe it's food and not a harsh chemical reaction is that these lip and face swelling/numbing along with the hives breaking out in the same places...like only on my back and no where else...tells me it's food.

Tonight's update from me is I ate some chocolate after I had two small cheeseburgers. Chocolate is one of my PASSIONS of life. (so are cheeseburgers) And I'll be darned, now that I think about it, the first night I had these reactions about a month ago, I had just consumed a grilled cheese sandwich and had a hot fudge sundae for desert. So then I thought, "hey...maybe it's the combination of these two items!"

However, I had one of my worst reactions so far right at the end of a Mexican meal where I tried three different kinds of hot sauces. I scraped the cheese off of the 'carne asada' tacos I had but, I'm wondering if it would matter since the cheese was cooked into the food here and there anyhow.

All I know is, this has GOT to be food related. It's just not easy tracking down the culprit(s).

As Arsenio used to say: "Things that make you go.....hmmmmmmmmmm?":confused:

~Gear

Geary 11-12-2007 02:16 AM

Okay folks....I've got good news! Although I didn't find the root cause of my recent outbreak of hives and the swollen lip thing, I did find a "magic bullet". I found that taking one Claritin (actually Target's house brand) completely has stopped my allergic reactions for two weeks now. Thanks to those that mentioned Claritin. It's WAY better than Benedryl in that I don't walk around sleepy-headed all day.

The only down side is, I'm starting to put the weight back on that I lost due to literally "watching what I eat". :D Oh, well, at least I'm not looking like I have been in a fight and eaten alive by insects or something!

Thanks HealthBoards!! :wave:

~G

Kathleen08 02-29-2008 08:02 PM

I am having the same symptoms discussed in this thread -- hives on lower abdomen, hips, sometimes bra strap/shoulder area, tailbone and in the palm of my hand -- in addition to the itchy lip swelling (upper and/or lower) and sometimes eye area swelling. I cannot identify any particular allergy.

My [B][I][COLOR="DarkOrchid"]one radical thought that I'd like feedback on is the idea that this is all a reaction to emotional stress.[/COLOR][/I][/B] I have toddler twins who have been sick much of the winter, another child with his own needs, a full-time job and a husband who is often not available to help.

I was having these symptoms nearly every day in some form or another then went on a tropical vacation for six days with my husband and NO kids. I had NO symptoms for the entire time until the morning of our departure. I woke up, thought to check my flight schedule (thinking of returning) and immediately began with the ichy lip that soon swelled.

[B]Could all of these symptoms be related to stress??[/B]

Geary 02-29-2008 11:21 PM

[QUOTE=Kathleen08;3465662]
[B]Could all of these symptoms be related to stress??[/B][/QUOTE]

Kathleen,

I also am "high strung" and have been treated for anxiety/panic attacks (mild ones)...and I can honestly tell you that my symptoms I had were NOT related to stress. For me it was some sort of food allergy. Could've been several different types of food allergies that attacked me. It's my understanding now that Allergies like this occur due to a slightly (or greatly) reduced immune system. It can happen to anyone at anytime and usually it's only for a short period of time....say a few weeks or so.

These are all conditional statements, of course, but from whatever and where ever they come......try my "magic pill" and get ahold of Claritin non-drowsy pills....or the store's generic brand of this "Loratadine". It's working mahvalous Dahling! ;)

~Gear